Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Apr 2007 (Sunday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High in the Arctic !! Eskimo .. .. !

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2007 19:32 as a reply to  @ post 3050078 |  #31

Well when I first arrived here in 1981. This was something spectacular to me for sure, being a city boy from Boston. I wasn't aware of whaling yet. but the peace and quiet of this tiny village was very appealing to me.

A strange face is something you never encounter here. Everyone you see each and every day, you know quite well. Smiles all around you all day long, day in, day out, everyone knows everyone.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/3GIRLSs.JPG

In the previous image 3 girls are standing in snow and they do not appear to be cold.

In this image there is no snow & it is very cold out, look at their hands !! It is cold!

TAXI. please ..

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/CORKGUNs.jpg

No matter how cold it is outside, children still want to play outside! Here in Alaska, the cold just gets on you, it never penetrates through clothing into your bones! It is a very dry cold.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

the burial site of the "last chief" of Point Hope (1920's era). This man had six wives, he was murdered when he took a man's wife for. wife # 7

Greed is in every culture no matter which part of the world humans reside in.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/eatsnow3.jpg

30 below zero, and these children have been playing out for days and days. As I came around the corner of the huge ice wall, I could hear children giggling, laughing, as I came into view they all burst into laughter, "Want to see me eat snow?" said the girl on the left.

If I type the word "Igloo" I bet you THINK YOU KNOW what that word means. I bet your wrong!

First of all, there are no O's or E's in the Eskimo language (Inupaq). So Iglu is the correct term, but you still don't know what an iglu is, Yes it is a "dwelling place". IGLU = 1 dwelling place IGLUT= 2 dwelling places IGLUK= 3 or more.

An iglu is NOT MADE OUT OF ICE! or snow! AN iglu is made out of whale bones & sod. In Canada or Greenland they do use Ice blocks to build a structrue to live in.
BUT in Alaska. since the beginning of habitation here, Whale bones & Sod are used.

Here are some old, very old, Iglu's. In fact this first one once had electricity running to it. The service drop can be seen in the left side, LOL.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/igloo2.jpg

Inside of an Iglu is quite large, it has ample room for quite a large amount of people, all familes are quite large. 10 children is or seems to be the Norm.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/iglu3.jpg

The ruins in the old town site are still visible. Ruins from ages ago, are slowly appearing.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/ots02.JPG

It is a 10,000 fine if caught digging in this area, The OLD TOWN site is a proteced federal landmark. Any artifacts should be turned in to the city of Point Hope. any artifacts found on the beaches are fair game.

Oh oh.. Polar Bear tracks.. DANGER.. this is one DANGEROUS ANIMAL, extremly unpredictable.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/pbfp.jpg

A polar bear is not a soft cuddly animal. It is a predator, and many have been killed by these ferocious animals.

Practice .. .. .. ... .. makes .. ... .. "better":cool:
30 YEARS OF ARCTIC PHOTOGRAPHS (external link)

sponsored links
MagicallyDelicious
Goldmember
4,083 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 16, 2007 19:44 |  #32

these pics are amazing!
and now i know what a real iglu is!

every mistake is a lesson learned

My Website (external link) Myspace (external link)
Canon 300D 18-55 Kit, Canon 35-80, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 500 DG Super,
Bits n Bobs
RAW FOR DUMMIES

Your Mind Is Like A Parachute.....Only Works When Open.

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 16, 2007 19:55 as a reply to  @ Majik Imaje's post |  #33

Polar Bears Continued

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/TRACKS.jpg

A lot of polar bears have recently have been found "drown" in the ocean waters. Scientists say it is from the long swims from ocean ice pack(s).

SORRY this is wrong, misleading and is not even close to the actual truth of the matter at hand.

THE PROBLEM is with polar bears attacking a sleeping walrus! UH uh .. don't do that.. leave him alone.. Even though that walrus is stretched out on his back sleeping with his head bent up and back revealiing the critical throat region. The bear makes a big mistake when he lunges at that walrus that is sleeping.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/2BEARS.JPG

The walrus merely lowers his tusks around that bears neck, rolls over into the water thus taking the bear to the bottom and drowns him very quickly.

ALL BEARS; are left handed, they will strike with the left paw first.

Even after a polar bear has been killed, this is still one dangerous animal!
GREAT CARE must be taken: when opening that bear up, just the slighest bit of that "juice" on your skin can KILL THAT HUNTER.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/pbear2.jpg

THE INSIDE of a Polar Bear is extremlY toxic: TOO MUCH Vitamin A. The liver must be carefuly cut out, tubes tied and qucklly burned and destroyed, lest some animal eat it and die from the toxic vitamin content.

Barrow Alaska 1940's A hunter was warming his hands by blowing on them, he got the tinest amount of that joice on his lip. His hair, his skin bleached completly white. pure white. He lived many years and is / was well known throughout the entire region.

1960's Billly Weber was out on the ocean ice and a polar bear charged him, Billlyl turn and ran, he had one bullet left, as he was running he merely pointed that rifle back and took the shot.

there is only ONE PLACE you can shoot a polar bear to kill him instantly. It must be a well placed shot or damn lucky one. Cause billy got that bear, right in the ear, with a 22! Billy Lived to tell about that one.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/JJ.JPG

1990 Dec. Charles Stalker Jr.III MY ELECTRICAL APPRENTICE. in Point Lay, distracted a polar bear that was going after his pregnant girl-friend. Armed only with a knife, Charles lost that fight and was eaten by the bear.
That first swipe with the left paw cut him in half.

that bear was quickly blasted and killed.

1950's Allan Rock was attacked out on the ocean ice by a polar bear. Armed only with a knife, Allan lived to tell about that story!

A polar bear will sit out on the ocean ice, over a water hole in the ice waiting for a seal to come up, He will place his paws over his nose and eyes to shield himself and hide, when that seal surfaces.. it is all over in New York second. that quick... "burp" !

ANCHORAGE ALASKA: 1997 IN THE LOCAL ZOO.. "DOUBLE BARS" ON THE CAGE.. some individual was going to impress his friends and squeezed through the double bars and jumped into the water to "swim with the polar bear" That bear quicklly ripped off that young man's testicles. the fool lived, but he was actuallly stupid enough to try and file a lawsuit against the zoo

Needless to say.. he had nothing to "support" his case! (pun intended)!
STUPID PEOPLE will allways try STUPID THINGS. .and the price for that mistake
is always costly.

A Hunter prepares the bear for arrival home, but the women are the ones who "tan" the skin using native method using an ulu knife. it takes many women and many hours of hard work to accomplsh this and clean that skin which is worth $15,000 minimum! It is against the law for a native to sell the entire skin in one piece.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/nt.jpg

Polar Bear Meat is by far the most deliecious meat I have ever tasted in my life. It is jet black and grainny like a piece of ol wood. But it was so tender, so sweet, slurp, 10 times better than the very best prime rib you have ever tasted. It was the ONLY time ever, I have asked for seconds, and everyone at once yelled NO!

Nanauq is the eskimo name for polar bear! Nanook of the north was a movie, hyped in myth about a person who ironicallly died from being eaten by a polar bear in real life!:eek:

cbock
918 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 17, 2007 01:58 |  #34

i think this is my 3rd post in this thread. amazing shots and wonderful stories to go with them. just amazing!

Body: 1DIIn
Canon Glass: 16 - 35 II F2.8L | 24 - 70 F2.8L | 50 II F1.8 | 70 - 200 F2.8L IS | 300 F4L IS
Sigma Glass: 24-60 F2.8 EX DG | 70-200 F2.8 EX DG HSM APO | 30 F1.4 EX DC HSM
Other Stuff: Canon 580 EX II | Vivitar 285HV | Manfrotto 679B & 488RC0 | StarFlash 650 & 300

TamEric
738 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 17, 2007 05:11 |  #35

please dont' stop posting

i'm hooked to this thread

My kids and my family, are my life - and my passion is to capture my life on camera

www.tlmdesignsandphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Jcharro
164 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 17, 2007 11:11 |  #36

Honesty Mr. Majik Imaje, They should do a documentary of your life then and now and how the Eskimo life is changing, all these pictures and stories are priceless.

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 17, 2007 11:47 |  #37

wow... dont care too much for the dead Polar Bear shots ( I hate seeing dead animals, esp. as majestic as a Bear..Any Bear) but your Images and text are amazing.. to think, people out there, living as they have, undisturbed for thousands of years..its amazing!! Keep posting...please!

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

Digivaler
99 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 17, 2007 11:52 as a reply to  @ Jcharro's post |  #38

Do you sell prints of your work? Let me know. I'm definitely interested in the possibility of buying one.

Canon Rebel XTI
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
- Canon Speedlite 580EX
- Filters (UV, Circular PL, Diffusion, Starburst)

Kiddo
Goldmember
2,243 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 17, 2007 11:58 |  #39

Those are some amazing photos!!! Great job! Thanks for sharing them with us.

http://www.tanyaeveret​tphotography.com/ (external link)
http://tanyaeverettpho​tography.blogspot.com/ (external link)

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 29, 2007 05:25 as a reply to  @ Kiddo's post |  #40

Well thank you all for your wonderful comments and I am so glad that you appreciate these images.

I have lots more stories and lots more photos.

Now you know why I could never ever leave this paradise of the North. To be stuck in a city with all the noise and confusion, NO THANKS! I am right where I want to be, and I honestly don't ever see myself ever leaving the Arctic.

My host has cut me off due to excedding my bandwidth. 10,000 hits a day pushed me way over the limit.

Images will magicallly all appear on the first of the month. I am in the process of obtaining a new host with ten times the bandwidth.

Today - April 28th of 07 J.J. Russell Lane caught a 36 foot bowhead whale. This is JJ's first whale. He doesn't get a share of his first whale, but all the crews pitch in and give a portion of their shares to this first time successfull captain.

This means whaling festival held in June will be a momentous occasion. Point Hope still has 7 stikes left and lots of animals are migrating through the open lead in the ice.

TWO DAYS AGO.. ROFLMAO !!! Robert Kingik was driving a snowmachine down to the lead opening with a long ten foot sled attached.

He could not see well due to the overcast skies and the new snow on the ground covering the trails. the ocean was "slusshy" and he didn't see it and drove right off the edge of the ice.!! As the snowmachine started to sink in the water, 11 year old. Erin Tyler, Passenger on the sled, saw this and quickly rolled off the sled onto the ocean ice. At the edge of the ice he saw 20 year old robert in the slush water trying in vain to tread water as he was / kept sinking into the slush due to the weight of his clothing. As he struggled in the water, sinking and tying in vain to tread water he yelled out to this 11 year old tiny boy.. "I know I am going to die today.. I will see you.. IN heaven or in hell... Erin reched down and grabbed him as he sunk and was able to successfully pull him out back onto the ice. Luke Koonk was furious as his new 12,000 dollar snowmachine just sunk to the bottom. They tried in vain to grab it or hook it with grapplikng hoooks or nuiquist but due to the strong current.. that machine is long gone..!!!

When people fall into the water at sub zero temps. ( and it happens quite frequently) there is only one thing to do when they get that person out of the water. NO matter HOW COLD IT IS.. they have to completly strip that person right then and there as quick as possible before everything starts to freeze. Once that person is 100% stripped of all clothing .. THEN OTHER PEOPLE . are taking off some of their clothing and rushing that person to the nearest camp / tent to warm up and obtain new clothing.

When it is 40 below zero and your soaking wet. everything freeezes up quickly and time is precious to cut that clothing off using knives. of course all clothign is ruined in getting it off so quickly.. you don't have time to undress.. it has to be cut off!

Stay tuned for more of: HIgh in the Arctic.. Eskimo !!:cool:

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2007 20:29 |  #41

ahhh bugger...you have exceded your bandwidth...I'll have to come back and look another time
:)

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 01, 2007 04:51 as a reply to  @ picturepages's post |  #42

UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES: did a two hour documentary about two people in Point Hope, Sayers Tuzroyluke & Morris Sage.

A&E channel 1997

Get this tape if you want to visually see a spectacular true story that went something like this.. (short version) Movie is 2 hours long!

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/phomapsm.gif

The yellow X is approximately the place where they went through the ice into the water at sub zero temps!

Sayers and Morris were coming back to Point Hope from hunting in the winter time. They were about 7 miles out of town at the lagoon. Using snowmachines they crossed the frozen lagoon and the ice broke, Morris' machine went straight down, and the sled was sticking up out of the shallow water, Morris was clinging to the sled half under water, Sayers tried to jump in to resuce Morris but his clothing quickly brought him down also, Sayers luckily made it back up on the ice and had to turn and walk away from Morris to get help!

Sayers started to walk, both machines were in the lagoon which is shallow but still over your head and it is well below zero.

Sayers had a 7 mile walk back to town soaking wet, frozen clothing it was extremly difficult to walk, he fell down often and his body wanted to rest and sleep, he managed to get back up and walk but the pain in his knees was too much for him. He knew if he fell down again he would never get up and Morris would die. Sayers had to walk BACKWARDS, he could not move his legs.

Morris is hanging on for dear life to the top corner of his sled. He knows he is in serious trouble and in his mind he could see his daughter coming home from school and finding out that her dad had died.. HE WAS NOT GOING TO LET THIS HAPPEN! He remembered what he was TAUGHT as a child and smiled and said.. Ah.. this water is just so wonderful and warm and it feels oh so good. Adiga (good).. he kept concentrating on how WARM this water was.

Of course he is freezing his butt off, but he can't admit that, so he concentrates on how warm the water is feeling and he passed out.

Meanwhile Sayers is still struggling walking backwards and two miles from the village someone spotted him walkling and rushed out to find out why he is walking backwards.

Immediatelly people are summoned and rush out to the laggon with the necessary boat to reach morris. He is unconscious still hanging on.. As they reached him they tried and tried to pry his hands off that sled, they had a very difficult time. he would not let go.

Morris was rushed to the clinic and then medivacd to the hospital in Kotzebue 200 miles south.

Morris' body core temp was 58 degrees !! Doctors are still mystified how he lived through this!

Morris lives directly behind me, he is not young he is in his late sixties !!!!!

Very strange things happen here in the Arctic that totally defy explanation.

This movie is two hours long, !!!! it will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire two hours!!!

MOre stories, More photos and more of HIGH IN THE ARCTIC.. .. Eskimo!!!

come back often, Unitl my bandwidth is exceeded again! LOL :)

Majik ­ Imaje
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2007 03:30 as a reply to  @ Majik Imaje's post |  #43

Whaling Festival is a 3 day event held in June. Last year we caught no whales, so we had no whaling festival. The captain that captures the first whale of the season, Names the Date in June for the whaling festival. visitors from all over the world and from all over the state of Alaska come for this non-stop 3 day event.

Plenty of food, fun, games, dancing of course.. "Blanket toss".

this is not what you think it is!

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/Oops.jpg

Blanket toss was originally used in very olden days to toss a hunter into the air to see if whales are coming up the narrow lead opening in the Chukchi Sea .

Anyone may take a ride on the blanket, but the main purpose for blanket toss is to "predict" the future hunt next year... "will we succeed"?

This is done in the most unusual fashion thinkable! A woman who has had a FIRST BORN son will get on the blanket to THROW candy, money, furs, or whatever..

As soon as that money flies, or whatever she is going to throw.. the children all take off, in every direction possible to get their hands on that stuff..

If any child.. ... succeeds.. it is going to be a bad year. So, the oldest women in the village are in charge to make sure no one gets their hands on anything at all.

I am talking about women that are 80 & 90 years of age,, these women play for keeps, this is for real !

Do you think NFL football is tough ?? Nope... NFL has rules.. Blanket toss has no rules!!! Prevent that child from picking anything up off the ground !!

80 year old women, diving head first into the gravel, to get anything in their area. blockinig, tackling, grabbing children by the hair and tossing them over their shoulder..

It was IMPOSSIBLE for me to capture any of this because it happens so fast and in so many different directions at once and it is over very quickly.. but I have never ever laughed like that in my life. to see these old fraile fragile women suddenly come to life and run like they are very young againi, jumping and diving and tackeling, shoving and blocking..head first into rock gravel to grab that fur or candy or money.

IMAGE: http://majikimaje.com/TOSS012.JPG

More to come soon... Whaling Festival.. .. The cutting of the Flippers !

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,521 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

May 02, 2007 05:28 |  #44

Great shots, but how are you on here posting? Do you have high-speed internet in the great white north?

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Blog (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

laimis.s
568 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 02, 2007 08:17 |  #45

i love the photos, just get rid of those horrible frames!!! sorry dont mean to offend just personally it ruins it for me! those photos are asking for something clean, not 3d type bevel/embross + vivid colours + drop shadow...

Canon 5D, Mamiya RB-67, Wolf 5x4.
:: http://www.laimonas.co​.uk (external link) ::
:: http://laimonas-stasiulis.deviantart.c​om (external link) ::

sponsored links

89,600 views & 3 likes for this thread
High in the Arctic !! Eskimo .. .. !
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.