Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jan 2003 (Friday) 13:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

D 30 vs D 60 (sharp pictures)

Sniper
217 posts
Joined Aug 2001

Jan 17, 2003 13:55 |  #1

I often see people complain about the soft images they get from their D 60's (specially in DPReview's DSLR forum). But no one is complaining about soft images from their D 30's. WHY? Is it because the D 30 produces sharper pictures (out of the camera) or is it because no one is buying D 30's anymore, prefering D 60?

Is the picture generally sharper (out of the camera) with the D 30 vs. D 60?

Have found a used D 30 for like 850 EURO. Thinking of buying it (would like the D 60, but it may be better to buy a used D 30 now and maybe go for a new D "90" in a years or so, if needed).

Have a nice weekend

---------------
Sniper
http://www.pbase.com/s​niper/ (external link)

Sniper

sponsored links
BobbyC
274 posts
Joined Jul 2001

Jan 17, 2003 14:26 |  #2

I've read the same complaints about both cameras. I wasn't thrilled with the first few shots from my D30 until I learned that all digital files need some sharpening and it appeared Canon chose to leave that up to the photographer instead of oversharpening in the camera like some of the lower end cameras.

I can say I wish I had the extra pixels from the D60, mostly for cropping, the D30 is doing fine up to 16x20 for me and I've seen bigger from it.

Hawkeye12
107 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Jan 17, 2003 15:19 |  #3

well here is a pic straight from the D60, and with a 24-85mm no less..............does​n't look soft to me.

http://www.pbase.com/i​mage/10708343/original (external link)

Hawkeye12
107 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Jan 17, 2003 15:22 |  #4

and here is one from the D60 w/70-200 f4 L shot at f4 and in poor lighting.....

http://www.pbase.com/i​mage/10713762 (external link)

philw
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jun 2002

Jan 17, 2003 16:28 |  #5

Those of us with D30s just got bored with explaining to people that the camera doesn't do final output sharpening on board. It doesn't, and all the pictures of course benefit from appropriate sharpening.

It's a bit like trying to explain to people who don't read manuals that E-TTL works fine; after a while it gets boring.

Just for fun, the default settings of my 1Ds are the same... he he he, if those guys bought a 1Ds they'd be complaining like crazy about the sharpness. In this case you can set the sharpness any way you want, although qhy you'd want to sharpen in the camera is beyond me anyway.

Phil

steves
229 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 18, 2003 23:02 |  #6

I have owned both and IMO the D60 is sharper. Heres a few shots.
http://www.pbase.com/s​teve_s/cars_cars (external link)

Sniper
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Aug 2001

Jan 19, 2003 04:13 |  #7

So they are equally sharp (or D 60 maybe even sharper). Thanks for your feedback, guys.

Sniper

Sniper

timbo
26 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 24, 2003 01:46 |  #8

I can't understand the logic why Canon or any other company produce a product in a highly competitive market to make the D60 produce less sharp images than the D30?
My answer is Canon does not do this.
To compare sharpness you need the cameras side by side, same exposure settings, same f-stop, same shutter speed, same tripod, same focus point same lens ect.
I can't wait to hear D60 owners say D60 produces sharpen images than its replacement.
Sharpness is either the lens, the operator, or both.

This in not fact only my opinion.

Mr. ­ Fogle
161 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 24, 2003 03:48 |  #9

I have both. And have done side by side. And the sixty is better, IN SOME WAYS. There are things I prefer with the thirty, colors are milder, start up is faster, PRICE. But hey, 3.1 little pixys or 6 little pixys. I learned to adjust. I had my 30 for a year, shot for fun, shot for money. I would still be using it today if the wife, for some freak of nature, had not woke up one day and said,,,let's get you a 60 now that you work for the paper. OOOOOHHH BOY!!!!! Honey, how bout that Sigma 120-300 2.8???? Ya right.

michael

Dans_D60
592 posts
Joined Apr 2002

Jan 24, 2003 08:35 |  #10

Images on my amateur site are done with both the D30 and D60. Besides the very small color balance differences, it’s difficult to conclude which is better unless I enlarge beyond 16X20 in which the D60 clearly is superior…..Dan

http://www.pettusphoto​.com (external link)

Dan (external link)
Dan Pettus Photography (external link)
BLOG (external link)
FB (external link)

sponsored links

3,595 views & 0 likes for this thread
D 30 vs D 60 (sharp pictures)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.