Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 May 2007 (Wednesday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GIVE ME SOMTHING!! CAUSE I DON'T KNOW...

Erinlaneconrad
428 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2007 22:48 |  #1

HERE IT IS.....I DID A ''PROM'' LAST WEEKEND. MY MOTHER N LAW KNOWS ALL THE KIDS, SHE WORKS AT THE SCHOOL. SO SHE HELPED. I DECIDED TO CUT THE PEOPLE A DEAL. I WOULD JUST PUT A COUPLE PICS. ON A CD FOR $10.00. I THINK IT IS A REALLY GOOD PRICE. THEY CAN HAVE THEM PRINTED WHERE EVER THEY WANT. WHEN I STARTED BURNING THE CDS IT GOT CONFUSING. SOME PEOPLE HAD GROUP SHOTS OTHERS PLAYED SPORTS, AND SOME JUST WANTED ONE EXTRA WITH A BUDDY. TONS OF PICTURES TO GO THROUGH TO JUST PUT THERE PICTURES ON A CD. BUT WE KNEW EVERYONE.

SO AT THE END OF MAY I AM DOING ANOTHER. THE SAME WAY WITH A CD. BUT THIS TIME I AM GOING TO CHARGE $12.00. I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THESE KIDS. WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO PUT ON A CD WHEN THE PRINCIPAL WANTS EACH KID TO JUST HAVE THERE PICTURES ON A CD. MEANING I CAN'T JUST BURN EVERY PICTURE TO A CD. I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A DRY ERASE BOARD ASSIGNING THEM A NUMBER TAKING A SHOT WITH THEM HOLDING THE NUMBER THEN TAKING THE ACTUAL PICTURE. I SHOOT DIGITAL SO THAT PART IS NO BIG DEAL. THEN MY THINKING WAS, WHAT PICTURES THEY WANT THEN...THEY TAKE THEN. WITH ONLY 5 SHOTS ON EACH CD. THEY COULD HAVE ANY 4 POSES THEY WANTED AND THE CLASS PHOTO. WHAT DO YA'LL THINK? ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GRATEFUL!!!!

ALSO HOW DOES THE PICTURE LOOK??

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D Mark ii Gripped Canon 5D Classic Gripped
24-70mmL, 17-40mmL, 50 1.8mm
Alien Bees 400 x two in PINK and GREEN

sponsored links
cowpix
617 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 02, 2007 23:17 |  #2

I think you are doing a lot of work for a $12 cd.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I'm sure others who shoot people will have some advice.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 02, 2007 23:25 |  #3

I wouldn't do that for anyone, period. way to much work and not even close to enough coming in. Only thing I could suggest is they get all there pics taken in a row, you want a pic with a buddy then he better be right there waiting or nothing.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Bon
68 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 02, 2007 23:32 |  #4

sounds confusing!!!

as a high school student, and a photographer, i pay close attention to all photography around the school. and i don't really think that your method of sales is efficient, you need to print the images, bottomline... set up 'print packages' and as kids line up for shots you have them choose which package. if you have an assistant they can sit at a table getting packages and names and you just announce the file number every shot... assistant writes it with the name and package... you send out all prints to whatever printing service and take whatever profit you need. you are most certainly undercutting yourself for your time/skill!!!1 you need to be charging professional prices for your professional work! that is a professional picture, and any work like that needs to be charged for... for all pro photogs sake!

overall it seems like you are trying much to hard, for much too little money

GEAR LIST

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 02, 2007 23:32 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

You really aren't making a profit if you consider your time, equipment costs, taxes, etc. For example, I sell a CD with 15 resized and professionally processed images for $200. And that's considered a bargain basement price. Conduct your business professionally with profit in mind if you're serious about making a go of it.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 02, 2007 23:51 |  #6

...just to add on, say they go print your photos at walmart who's machine sucks and prints with odd colors or something, all of a sudden your pics don't look close as good as they are and you have no quality control over the prints...not a good way for people to see your work.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

Gary_Evans
859 posts
Joined May 2006

May 03, 2007 04:20 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #7

Prom style photos make up about 70% of my business and I agree with the others that you are making work for yourself, plus losing a lot of revenue.

By all means sell discs, we do - but only as an add on. Dont worry about badly calibrated machines at Walmart or wherever. If they make prints with bad colours they will have 100's of people complaining to them, and if people print their own they know they have printed their own and wont complain.

Bon is giving you good advice. Shoot your images as the kids come to you. If X wants a photo with his gf, and another later with his mates he will come back. Then if he wants a CD he will already have the image numbers on his print and that saves you the time in searching names/numbers.

Prom Photographs are at the budget end of the profession, You wont get studio rates for an image that took 30 seconds from the client arriving to leaving your studio. But do it well and you will make a better living than a studio tog :D :D :D

With regards to your photo. Not my taste, I dont like green backdrops (or props for that matter), and personally I like the heads turned more to the camera. However, its a matter of different tastes and I can appreciate that it is a well executed photo. The kids, and their parents, should be very pleased with it.

Gary
www.myeventphoto.co.uk (external link)
www.garyevansphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)

csm328
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 03, 2007 08:33 |  #8

There are different dynamics at work here. Socio-economic factors apply. To simplify, some schools can't afford good, high-end photography which may be why you're only looking to charge $12.00. Understandable and you're providing a service that might not otherwise be provided. Your workflow and process is what will make or break you. Applying a 'number' is a good idea, quick and efficient.

As for your photo, the dark backdrop gives the photo a dark effect. The boy has black pants and, if not for her dress, his legs would get lost in the photo. They both also have dark hair which can is effected by the backdrop. Maybe something a little lighter if you have it or some different positioning of the lights.

Wayne

Canon EOS 60D, Grip, 70-200L, EF-S 10-22, , EF 28-135mm, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Speedlite 430EX, G-10, 24 GIG of Various CF Cards :D

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

May 03, 2007 08:54 |  #9

Erinlaneconrad wrote in post #3143379 (external link)
ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GRATEFUL!!!!

I suggest buying a new keyboard -- it appears your CAPS LOCK key is broken.

As far as putting print-ready images onto a CD ... you are charging way too little.

Dave Hoffmann

csm328
Goldmember
1,834 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 03, 2007 09:00 |  #10

Gatorboy wrote in post #3144890 (external link)

As far as putting print-ready images onto a CD ... you are charging way too little.

LOL, some people aren't aware that typing in CAPS is actually SHOUTING!!

Wayne

Canon EOS 60D, Grip, 70-200L, EF-S 10-22, , EF 28-135mm, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Speedlite 430EX, G-10, 24 GIG of Various CF Cards :D

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 03, 2007 09:07 |  #11

Gatorboy wrote in post #3144890 (external link)

Yeah, caps are reserved for being excited or mad around here, and the regular typing is easier to read.

Back to the topic, though. I shoot a lot for my sons. I have 4 and I have been the designated Mom Photographer for over 20 years now. I love shooting events, etc. I never give out the CD's unless all the images are on it. So, I only do that for soccer teams. For sports, I don't really care if the colors are off or the details are not taken care of. The parents can do with it as they wish. I put about 50 shots from a season on it and no one has done anything that I know of out of the ordinary. I told the parents if they did use the images other than printing or sending them to relatives and friends, I'd stop shooting their kids. If any of them do more than print one or two, I'd be surprised. People don't print much anymore.

Now for the crazy way you have been restricted by the principal of the school, this is what I do, since our school system is restricted, have to sign releases, etc. I take pictures, I look at all of them on the computer, I print up the ones I think look great for each child that I can (you miss some, you can't avoid that). I don't charge for these, but you can charge $1 for each and still make a 75% profit. My Picturemate 4x6's cost me about $.25 per picture. Or if there are a lot of pictures, I'll copy the JPEG files and copy at Costco at $.17 per picture. I send them to school so the principal can see them, I hand them out to the kids to their parents. If they want more copies, that's when I ask for the photo back and do what they need. Now, that's when the money starts coming in, if you decide to go this route. This way you have control of the images and parents know they have 1 picture, they can keep it, but it's just a 4x6 and if they want more, they have to at least pay you a minimum fee. If they want a CD of their kids, you know who that kid is because you have the photo. Charge them appropriately for the amount of work required. Burning 5 images of a CD is rediculous, but that's really what people want, so charge them.

I shoot for nothing and I don't give out CD's. The principal has my JPEG's of all the pictures I've taken and she posts 4-10 on the school website after every event. The kids in the pictures all have signed releases and parents can see them whenever they want. I have never had a parent ask for the images on a CD yet. They just take the 4x6 and say thanks. I don't really think many parents out there appreciate how much time and effort we put in to take great shots. It's really quite sad.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

May 03, 2007 09:17 |  #12

Bon wrote in post #3143524 (external link)
sounds confusing!!!

as a high school student, and a photographer, i pay close attention to all photography around the school. and i don't really think that your method of sales is efficient, you need to print the images, bottomline... set up 'print packages' and as kids line up for shots you have them choose which package. if you have an assistant they can sit at a table getting packages and names and you just announce the file number every shot... assistant writes it with the name and package... you send out all prints to whatever printing service and take whatever profit you need. you are most certainly undercutting yourself for your time/skill!!!1 you need to be charging professional prices for your professional work! that is a professional picture, and any work like that needs to be charged for... for all pro photogs sake!

overall it seems like you are trying much to hard, for much too little money

Great point!! This is exactly what I do.... They pay me to come, setup, and take pictures. Then, I make double by selling those pictures..
(8x10= $ 15/ $ 22); (5x7= $ 6/$8); (4x6=$ 3/5).... The last two events I did for a school was not confusing but required speed.... The lines were extra long but thank God for the new MacBook and Canon printer, I was on point and kept the lines moving (no complaints)...:lol: :lol:

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 03, 2007 09:22 |  #13

jackies35 wrote in post #3144975 (external link)
Great point!! This is exactly what I do.... They pay me to come, setup, and take pictures. Then, I make double by selling those pictures..
(8x10= $ 15/ $ 22); (5x7= $ 6/$8); (4x6=$ 3/5).... The last two events I did for a school was not confusing but required speed.... The lines were extra long but thank God for the new MacBook and Canon printer, I was on point and kept the lines moving (no complaints)...:lol: :lol:

I haven't gotten there yet, but when I do, that's what I will do and get 2 or 3 helpers to print while I shoot. I've seen these set ups work really well and the photographer mainly takes the photos while one helper pp and prints.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Erinlaneconrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 03, 2007 09:22 |  #14

Thank You all for the advice. Really to be fair this is only going to be the second type of prom I have ever done. So I did'ent think it was really right to charge a hugh amount. I'm from the "south" so people down here believe you should have no sitting fee and only pay for the proofs. One lady only charges $1.00 a proof no sitting fee and gets them printed at wal-mart.......so people don't come back for packages except the nice ones....the others just go and scan the proofs to make there own reprints. I don't know how she is making a profit. But any hoo....I will go and talk with the ladies in charge today and let them know I will not be coming out ahead with only charging $12.00. If I don't get the job......it want matter that much. This is only a side thing my real job is about a foot tall and talks all the time!!!!

Erinlaneconrad
THREAD ­ STARTER
428 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 03, 2007 09:23 |  #15

As far AS CAPS the last time I posted somthing know one helped me....got ur attention did'ent it?

sponsored links

3,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
GIVE ME SOMTHING!! CAUSE I DON'T KNOW...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.