Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Apr 2007 (Wednesday) 17:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Job -- how much to charge?

aji23
23 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 25, 2007 17:11 |  #1

Hi All! I was given a very lucrative opportunity today; my first "big" job. Now, I must admit I have had very few "small" jobs to begin with, so I am a little overwhelmed right now.

The gig? about 600 total pictures of... Socks. For an online merchant's print and web catalogue. I have to speak with someone tomorrow on the phone about this, and so I'm trying to prepare as much as possible. I have no Terms & Conditions, no Statement of Work or Scope of Work; these are things I'm putting together as we speak.

My First Big Question is simply, how much to charge? From browsing on the web, people are either charging per hour or per item. But at 600 or so items, charging $10/item seems pretty expensive for a beginning. On the other hand, I don't want to say I'll take $1,000 and then find myself in a quagmire of work that I should have charged $5,000 for.

So... Any suggestions? Or questions to probe the matter more deeply? I will be speaking to them tomorrow, and find out more then, but any advice now would be very much appreciated.

I should also mention I will need to buy some gear for this job too, including a product softbox, a lightstand or too... heck, I don't even have an external flash yet :) So my Second Big Question is:

Should I be humble and turn the job down, or sink my teeth into it?

Thanks in advance for any comments...

Andrew

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 25, 2007 22:24 |  #2

Questions to ask:
What's their budget? (The big question!)
Reshoots are extra.
All the same exact shot for all, or some "group shots" & other variables?
Socks will be delivered without stickers you'll have to remove?
Got room to store them? Sometimes approval takes weeks.
You provide one file & they resize for web & print?
Where are you located? Have you asked local competitors what they'd charge for say 100 shots of something similar, like potholders?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

aji23
THREAD ­ STARTER
23 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2007 07:10 |  #3

Thanks for that input!

Are these all questions to ask of them?

"Have you asked local competitors what they'd charge for say 100 shots of something similar, like potholders?"

Did you mean, should I find this information out, or ask this of them? Because according to the person who landed me this job, this company haggles a lot. So I don't imagine they would answer something like this openly...

Any further input would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Andrew

Davy-Kelly
215 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 26, 2007 08:06 |  #4

aji23 wrote in post #3106948 (external link)
Thanks for that input!

Are these all questions to ask of them?

"Have you asked local competitors what they'd charge for say 100 shots of something similar, like potholders?"

Did you mean, should I find this information out, or ask this of them? Because according to the person who landed me this job, this company haggles a lot. So I don't imagine they would answer something like this openly...

Any further input would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Andrew

I'm pretty sure that he meant that you should do some of your own asking round other competitors. ;)

"The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later, when a stranger looks at it, it moves again, since it is life" - William Faulkner -

www.davykelly.co.uk (external link)

Bon
68 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 03, 2007 08:44 |  #5

i dont know about price, but you should check out this site (external link) for ideas on lighting and tents and such. if you haven't seen it, it's great! good luck

GEAR LIST

Dorado
32 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 03, 2007 10:49 |  #6

I hop you charge more that $1000! Dont forget postproduction fees also.

You need to find out their budget, what media the images will be used in? Web only, web+Print? Each media will increase the price you charge. They only get to use it for the media they pay for, and they can later pay your for more usage if they like.

ASMP T&C's (external link)

Sinar 4x5
Canon 5D
Canon EOS-1
Nikonos V

chtgrubbs
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 03, 2007 22:50 |  #7

My estimation is that this would be two weeks of work with post-processing, cataloging, and so forth. So how much do you need to make a week? I would say $2K to $3K.

vwpilot
592 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 04, 2007 10:59 |  #8

First off, get it out of your head that its "your first big job." That doesnt mean anything.

Too many people think they need to give away the farm on their first gigs in order to "get the job" or "get their foot in the door." Thats just totally wrong. Its a job, they client doesnt need to know or care that its your first one, all they need to know is you can do the job and if you do it at the price they agree to, they will be happy....PERIOD!

If it gets screwed up because of lack of experience, then it happens. Even seasoned pros screw things up at times, you just work to fix it at that point. You dont need to price it low in case you screw up or because of lack of experience. The only thing you DONT do is charge more to account for your lack of experience, such as charging hourly for what will take you two hours and a seasoned pro will do in 1 hour.

If a pro figures on one full day of work and the going rate is a $1000/day rate, charge $1000. If it takes you two days...fine, that is your lack of experience, but your not charging $500 because you THINK you arent good enough and then doing two days of work for that $500.

There is certainly a premium to be paid for highly experienced photographers. But that is a premium for their knowledge, it doesnt mean that a newbie charges less than any normal shooter. There are two rates, the normal going rate and the premium rate for the best of the best shooters or someone that specializes in something very unique (like really good food photographers can demand a premium).

So charge the normal going rate. For all newbies, if you think you can do the job and client thinks you can do the job, then they should be expecting nothing less than to pay a going rate and you should expect not to get paid anything less. Dont broadcast its "your first time," they dont need to know that. All they need to know is you can do it and how much.

That said, for that amount of products and post processing, I can easily see that as being a $5000-$6000 job unless they are after the most basic of setup shots and they will all be the same so you can just roll through the shots one after another. Then maybe a little less, but you still got to figure that its going to take you several days at least and most going rates are $750-$1500/day. And if its by the image, $10/image is absolutely NOTHING and thats still a $6000 shoot if you charge that.

Jim Sykes
SportsShooter portfolio (external link)
SpeedArena (external link)
Jim Sykes Photography (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 06, 2007 18:55 |  #9

<<So charge the normal going rate. For all newbies, if you think you can do the job and client thinks you can do the job, then they should be expecting nothing less than to pay a going rate and you should expect not to get paid anything less. Dont broadcast its "your first time," they dont need to know that. All they need to know is you can do it and how much.>>

I strongly agree with vwpilot. Our first pro gig was time/materials, no questions asked, they paid, we did the job, everyone is happy. We charged more than at least one 'competitor' I know of as well.

You're being talked to, that's good. Stay cool, ask questions, take your time. I hope you get the work!;)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

1,653 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Job -- how much to charge?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.