Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Apr 2007 (Sunday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with camera

vicereine
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 29, 2007 16:09 |  #16

casaaviocar wrote in post #3124445 (external link)
I don't think the seller was not being sincere. He has a 100% feedback rating and the photos included show a working camera. The noise you hear is the orientation sensor, so not to worry.
I agree with trying to do a hard reset on the camera by removing the button battery along with the regular battery. This should do a hard reset of all of the cameras systems, kind of like re booting a computer. The date/time battery is in the same compartment as the regular battery, page 155 of your manual.
Some simple things:
Did you turn off the display accidentally?
Are you sure the battery is installed correctly?
Is the CF card door closed? the camera will not power up with the door open.
Re-format the card, if you get the camera powered try re-formatting the card in camera.

Yeah I never thought he purposely screwed me, I was very careful with which I chose to purchase.

Did you turn off the display accidentally?
I don't know but I don't think so, the ON light never lights up.

Are you sure the battery is installed correctly?
Yep I'm sure, even double checked the manual.

Is the CF card door closed? the camera will not power up with the door open.
Good to know, but yes it is closed.

Re-format the card, if you get the camera powered try re-formatting the card in camera.
How do I reformat? He also suggested this but if I can't turn it on, I can't reformat it. I guess that's in the manual somewhere.

Ok I took out the button battery, we'll see if it works in an hour :confused:

Thanks all for the help so far

sponsored links
casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 29, 2007 16:41 as a reply to  @ vicereine's post |  #17

I just read the troubleshooting guide to your camera. I would try to re charge the battery, and then make sure all of the doors of the camera are closed. Look down in your CF slot and make sure the pins are all straight.

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

vicereine
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 29, 2007 18:09 as a reply to  @ casaaviocar's post |  #18

I just went to grab the battery again (put it back in the charger) and the light was green, but I thought last time I had it plugged in it was orange? Am I imagining things? lol

edit, ok it seems green means its finished charging, I guess that was a dumb question but my charger for normal batteries the light goes off when done.

anyway put both batteries in and it still doesn't turn on :(

casaaviocar
887 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 29, 2007 18:16 as a reply to  @ vicereine's post |  #19

I don't know how the charger on the xti works. The older BP 511 chargers have a red led and it changes the number of pulses as to how charged the battery is. Just checked the manual and green indicates a charged battery.
Orange indicates charging.

Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal -ekg-

vicereine
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 30, 2007 15:08 as a reply to  @ casaaviocar's post |  #20

That's fine, but the return is for defects only. I understand that
the camera is not working now, but if it was damaged in
shipping, we will need to file a claim with the post office. If you
are positive that it was not damaged in shipping, then you need
to send it back so I can send it to Canon. If they say it is
defective, great, I'll take care of it by fixing it, or refunding your
money. Given that you are leaving on a trip very soon, you'll
probably prefer a refund. If they tell me it was damaged by user
error or in shipping, my return policy does not cover that, so I
would send it back to you. If you want to send it back and see
what Canon says, that's fine, let me know.

I don't know about you guys but it not working seems like a big defect to me. How am I supposed to determine if it was damaged in shipping? I'm 99% sure if he tells Canon it was shipped to someone else it voids the warranty. Plus they probably blame most problems on user error I bet.

I'm screwed aren't I. I'll never buy electronis online again.

kumicho
402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 30, 2007 15:30 |  #21

vicereine wrote in post #3129681 (external link)
I'm screwed aren't I. I'll never buy electronis online again.

just move down to civilization and you'll be fine, you can order new without going through this hassle. :)

Canon 400d
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 100mm f/2.0
Canon EOS M
Canon 22mm f/2.0

handyhaver
722 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 30, 2007 16:35 as a reply to  @ kumicho's post |  #22

I wouldn't mess around sending it to canon and all. You did not get what you paid for and if the box was not damaged then it wasn't packed properly or it is defective warranting a refund on both accounts. Not your fault!!

If you paid by cedit card through paypal, you can cancle your payment. If not I would notify paypal and ebay. He adveritise a camera in working order and that's what you paid him for. Not a camera that may have to be shipped in for warranty work. If it's a defect, it should be on him, not you.

Hope it all works out for you

Mark

You can check out any time you like....,but you can never leave. 40D, 24-105 f4LIS, 70-200 f4LIS[COLOR=black],100 f2.8LIS macro, Sig 50mm f1.4 , Sig 10-20 , 580EXll ,430EX, ST-E2, S2IS

http://handyhaver.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

vicereine
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 03, 2007 16:50 as a reply to  @ handyhaver's post |  #23

Just wanted to update anyone who cares about the end result lol...I took it to Henry's to test a battery from their display camera and it worked, so it was just a dead battery! Still weird that it died after one day, since this camera was "only used for a weekend in paris". Anyway I say to the employee "ok I guess I'll grab a new one then" and he's like "here's an open pack, so I'll give it to you for $79.99"...what?! Well I just bought it anyway :confused: and told the seller about it. He says to send back the "alleged" (lol) dead battery and if it doesn't hold a charge he'll send a new one. Then I came on here and saw the sticky in the accessories section, the one for 3rd party batteries...and damn I'm gonna buy a few of those and return this $90 one.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,565 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 03, 2007 17:04 |  #24

Glad you got it figured out :) At least it was relatively simple

m3incorp
989 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 03, 2007 17:53 |  #25

Glad it worked out, I was going to suggest trying a different battery. All my third party batteries (Sterlingteck) work great.

7D, 10D, Canon EFS 18-55mm modded
Canon EF 50mm, Canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII VC
Canon EF 70-300mm, 70-200 F4 L
, Canon 430ex ii Speedlite.

sponsored links

1,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.