Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 May 2007 (Friday) 08:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Make Digital Infrared Photos with Canon EOS 350d/400d!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,026 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 05, 2007 17:07 |  #31

Correct custom White balance is huge.. it must be done.

I've never seen a "Photoshopped" Fake IR that looks remotely like real IR.
I'd like to see one.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
jwkramer
959 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2003

May 05, 2007 17:08 |  #32

To everyone (other than Uhland - who I am finished with) - Photoshop is still a very important part of the infrared process, even if you have a modified camera. The images that come right out of the camera (even a modified one) do not look very much like the image that I posted. They are mostly red in color, with some pink highlights - sometimes whites depending upon the exposure. You then have to run through a series of steps to get what you see posted in my IR galleries. If anyone is interested in the workflow, I can elaborate.

-Jim

-Jim
Please Visit My Website! (external link)
I'm no Einstein, but I do own 3 of them...

jwkramer
959 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 05, 2007 17:10 |  #33

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #3157122 (external link)
The actual IR pictures posted are inspiring enough that I think I'm going to have my 10D converted. I've tried playing with various Photoshop actions and plug-ins and I've never been able to duplicate the effect to my satisfaction.

There are some people who think Photoshop is the answer for everything, but while it's a great tool and I use it extensively, there are some things that it simply can't replicate without many hours of manipulation. IR is one, and the soft halo effect of the EF 135mm f/2.8 SF is another.

Mark

Mark, the 10D is an excellent choice for conversion (that is the one I have done). If you want any info prior to starting the process, you can contact me via e-mail off-list.

-Jim

-Jim

DeedeeO
33 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 05, 2007 17:18 as a reply to  @ jwkramer's post |  #34

I have had my IR filter for only a few days now and finding it a really pain; as stated by many regarding exposure time, only still shots, etc and the photoshop - my exposures always need to be adjusted causing a grainy ugly effect. Converting the camera is the way to go, I think. This may justify getting my second camera:D

Before trying the filter, without converting my camera, I also tried optimizing in PSEv5 and CS2 and the results never looked like the shots out of the camera using IR equipment.

And yes..please Jim, can you share a brief step by step workflow process that you use for CS2.

Denise
Mommy & Me Photography (external link)

DeedeeO
33 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 05, 2007 17:21 as a reply to  @ DeedeeO's post |  #35

Here is another question for you Jim. Do you find limitations with using your 10D for your IR photography....especia​lly in resolution (6.3 megapixels)? You have done a lot of landscaping pictures, gorgeous, for framing and was just wondering if the resolution limits you to the size of your photos?

Denise
Mommy & Me Photography (external link)

jwkramer
959 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 05, 2007 17:50 |  #36

DeedeeO wrote in post #3157225 (external link)
Here is another question for you Jim. Do you find limitations with using your 10D for your IR photography....especia​lly in resolution (6.3 megapixels)? You have done a lot of landscaping pictures, gorgeous, for framing and was just wondering if the resolution limits you to the size of your photos?

there is definitely more noise present in the shots before PP. I usually clean them up with Neat Image. As far as sharpness, the images are actually sharper than a non-modified 10D because the AA filter has been removed.

In response to the 2nd part of your question, I have this image:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

enlarged to 10" x 24" and hanging on my wall. It looks GREAT!

-Jim

-Jim

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,727 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

May 05, 2007 18:01 |  #37

jwkramer wrote in post #3157169 (external link)
Mark, the 10D is an excellent choice for conversion (that is the one I have done). If you want any info prior to starting the process, you can contact me via e-mail off-list.

-Jim

Thanks Jim. I think I got most of the information I need from the website. The 10D is just sitting around gathering dust right now, so it's ideal for the conversion. As I don't have the original box, I just need to go get some good packing material before I ship it.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

jwkramer
959 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 05, 2007 18:05 |  #38

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #3157415 (external link)
Thanks Jim. I think I got most of the information I need from the website. The 10D is just sitting around gathering dust right now, so it's ideal for the conversion. As I don't have the original box, I just need to go get some good packing material before I ship it.

Mark

who is going to do your conversion Mark?

-Jim

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,727 posts
Joined Jul 2002

May 05, 2007 18:37 |  #39

jwkramer wrote in post #3157433 (external link)
who is going to do your conversion Mark?

I'll probably send it to Life Pixel. Is that your company?

Mark

Mark
-----

jwkramer
959 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 05, 2007 18:49 |  #40

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #3157524 (external link)
I'll probably send it to Life Pixel. Is that your company?

Mark

No. They did my conversion though. I guess you would call me a "happy customer" :o)

-Jim

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,727 posts
Joined Jul 2002

May 05, 2007 18:55 |  #41

jwkramer wrote in post #3157557 (external link)
No. They did my conversion though. I guess you would call me a "happy customer" :o)

Well, that's a good endorsement, then.

Mark

Mark
-----

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,026 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 05, 2007 19:23 |  #42

jwkramer wrote in post #3157159 (external link)
...Photoshop is still a very important part of the infrared process, even if you have a modified camera. The images that come right out of the camera ... are mostly red in color,

Not if custom WB is set right and you are using a RAW converter that doesn't "break" the custom WB as some do.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jwkramer
959 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 05, 2007 20:40 |  #43

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #3157669 (external link)
Not if custom WB is set right and you are using a RAW converter that doesn't "break" the custom WB as some do.

I shoot RAW exclusively, so I apply the WB at RAW conversion time. Thus, for me, the images come out of the camera looking very red. My first step of my WF involves applying my custom WB, but that technically happens after the image has been transferred to the PC (at least for my WF).

Are you applying a custom WB inside the camera?

-Jim

-Jim

SlvrScoobie
169 posts
Joined May 2007

May 05, 2007 23:55 |  #44

I converted a Rebel 300D to IR Only with Edmund Optics filter for 780NM and white balance was about Spot on, with a custom one. No red, only Black and white, SOME times i would get a splash of blue in there, but it was 95% perfect.
Now, I didnt get effects like jim because i dont get any color to play with.. Trying to decide which way I want to go for my 350D conversion

mammolo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 06, 2007 03:19 as a reply to  @ SlvrScoobie's post |  #45

Let me just shamelessly point to a site of mine where you can find a two part article on IR photography and a few galleries of work I have done in the past two years with a permanently IR-modified Rebel XT and a Canon 1DsMkII with 87C filter doing stitched panoramas anywhere from 100M to 800M pixel. The article goes into many technical details, some of which ---- like the issue of diffraction that gets more severe with IR --- are not often discussed on the net.

Cheers!!

www.infraredphoto.eu (external link)

Marco :)
http://www.resonantlin​k.com (external link)
http://www.infraredpho​to.eu (external link)

sponsored links

55,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
Make Digital Infrared Photos with Canon EOS 350d/400d!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.