Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 06 May 2007 (Sunday) 02:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

May Cover Shot

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2007 02:49 |  #1

I've not posted many images lately as I've just been swamped. Since performing arts is my passion it was very exciting to be able to combine what I enjoy with what pays the bills.

Most of you know I'm the staff photographer for Frisco Style Magazine, we are the largest publication of our type in the state of Texas, with a direct mail distribution. Our readership each month is about 125K.

Anyway the May issue was our "Best of Frisco", this image was taken for the "Best place to toot your horn" section, so it really was not a horn but it is a great new jazz/piano bar where I shot this.

Frisco is a suburb of Dallas and is one of the "hot" places to live these days.

I hope you enjoy the image as much as I do/did.

The cool thing is when I walked in the venue about 6:00pm to get a quick shot I did not know what to expect. When I walked through the door these two guys were playing directly to might right. It was one of those rare moments where I instantly saw the shot and knew if I could get it that it would make the cover. I had to apologize to the manager as when I walked through the door I yanked up my 5D and started to shoot (I had pre-set my settings before walking in) before I even introduced myself.

Well I ended up shooting for a couple songs, different angles just to make sure. When I got back to the office this shot was one of the first 10 or 15 taken.

Just a note, this was a very tricky image to print, in fact some of you may have a hard time seeing exactly what was printed. It was important that we have the shadow on the face but show just enough detail to see the beard and his eye. We ordered a proof before the magazine went to press and it was perfect. If you don't see the detail it could be due to monitor settings....the printed version ended up with the perfect amount of detail in the shadow.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i100.photobucke​t.com/albums/m16/taygu​ll/sm2.jpg (external link)

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
Sam
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

May 06, 2007 02:52 |  #2

Nice colors. When you are shooting something like this do you frame it up as a cover shot, or do you see it when you get back and start to process them?

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2007 03:00 |  #3

solinger wrote in post #3158931 (external link)
Nice colors. When you are shooting something like this do you frame it up as a cover shot, or do you see it when you get back and start to process them?

That is a great question, when I saw this shot (before pulling the trigger) I knew it was cover material. So yes I do shoot for the cover on almost all my shoots. That is not to say that I only shoot "cover composition" as I know we need non cover shots. As a full time magazine shooter I do find myself shooting in portrait mode more than other photogs I shoot with. I have learned though to shoot and crop in post, not always an easy thing to do.

Shooting for a magazine is way different than shooting for portfolio or for "images". One of the hardest things for me to learn was to quit framing the shot with my camera and to allow for the crop.

You must shoot to allow the person laying out the magazine maximum flexibility. That being said when I "get that feeling" I will shoot close to what the eye sees but always leaving room for the layout team to do what they need to do.

The neat/strange thing about this shot is without the overlay the composition is not good at all. I would never put this in my portfolio unless it had all the copy on it.

McKinney, TX

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2007 03:07 |  #4

I'll ad that this really shows the quality of the 5D as the ISO was 1600.

McKinney, TX

Sam
Goldmember
4,044 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

May 06, 2007 03:09 |  #5

taygull wrote in post #3158950 (external link)
I would never put this in my portfolio unless it had all the copy on it.

I should have added that to my question. I wondered that also.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 06, 2007 05:44 |  #6

Nice image...
I think that, even with all the copy on it, a bit tighter crop (loose a bit of top and right) would have worked better. Apart from that, I've nothing to nag ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2007 08:05 |  #7

René Damkot wrote in post #3159286 (external link)
Nice image...
I think that, even with all the copy on it, a bit tighter crop (loose a bit of top and right) would have worked better. Apart from that, I've nothing to nag ;)

Don't forget in a publication there is a very specific aspect ratio that must be maintained. I disagree about the top as not wanting to cover up that much of the instrument and any more off the top would have cut off the rug in the background. Removing area to the right would have also put more of the text over top of the performer and possibly distracted from his expression.

Thanks Rene!

McKinney, TX

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 06, 2007 11:50 |  #8

I was wondering when this would show up ... good thing I gave you all those tips, eh? :-)

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

Grace
something cute
7,629 posts
Joined May 2006

May 06, 2007 13:11 |  #9

Great job Chris. How in the world would you have ever made it with out Dwight.

- Grace -

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2007 13:13 |  #10

kathy.patterson wrote in post #3160725 (external link)

Thanks so much Kathy, I almost feel like I should send him part of my check each week! He is like a grandfather to me.;)

McKinney, TX

Grace
something cute
7,629 posts
Joined May 2006

May 06, 2007 13:14 |  #11

taygull wrote in post #3160730 (external link)
Thanks so much Kathy, I almost feel like I should send him part of my check each week! He is like a grandfather to me.;)

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Grace -

CanonXTuser
648 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 06, 2007 13:48 |  #12

taygull wrote in post #3158924 (external link)
If you don't see the detail it could be due to monitor settings....the printed version ended up with the perfect amount of detail in the shadow.

QUOTED IMAGE

It may be the monitor. The guy looks kind of noisy and soft, both in the head and the jacket.

Now Canon 30D user [previous used XT, XTi, and Rebel]
http://www.concertphot​ozine.com (external link) - "I make your crappy band look good"

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 06, 2007 14:06 |  #13

The shallow DOF did make it a touch soft, that is also the PP that was done, in the printed version that I will be entering in an upcoming contest his eye (AF Point) was sharp.

Any noise that is in the image, will not show up in print. I have the cover and I used this image as a sample when signing up for a new image printer. Noise at this level is only a big deal on the net not in print.

McKinney, TX

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,399 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 06, 2007 14:06 |  #14

kathy.patterson wrote in post #3160725 (external link)

With less Advil! ;)

taygull wrote in post #3160730 (external link)

Maybe Great Grandfather to YOU ... but those checks haven't shown up yet!

kathy.patterson wrote in post #3160734 (external link)
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO! :lol::lol::lol:

Now go look at my Willie Nelson thread. :rolleyes:

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,646 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 06, 2007 14:24 |  #15

Nice pic... I think the tapestry and Rod above it dictate the crop too... It rounds out the composition keeping things in perspective and whole...Also the stone work on the wall gives
the image just enough border strength and rigidity and accentuates the massive Bass...

The work on the contrast detail of the face and eye must have been a rewarding accomplishment... That said, it looks real good on the cover of the magazine...

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

sponsored links

1,943 views & 0 likes for this thread
May Cover Shot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.