Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 08 May 2007 (Tuesday) 02:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help - I need a good slideshow program for macs

islandphoto
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 08, 2007 02:46 |  #1

I searched the forums but many people suggest proshow which I know doesn't work on the mac. I love showit but I want to be able to make DVDs for my clients. I have also tried iphoto/idvd and i"m not too impressed with their image quality after the export. Am I being too picky? Any other suggestions for some great slideshow software for the macs? How is fotomajico?

THANKS!

- Joanna
5D, 20D, canon 18-55, canon 70-200L f4, canon 24-70L, canon 50 1.4, 2 x Canon 580EX, 7GB of memory, omnibounce diffuser, photoshop 8
http://www.joannatano.​com (external link)

sponsored links
mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

May 08, 2007 05:46 |  #2

Try Simpleviewer by Felix at Airtight Interactive: http://www.airtightint​eractive.com/simplevie​wer/ (external link)

Otherwise, Adobe Lightroom is excellent for quick and customisable slideshows.

Sorry, just re-read you wanted DVD's! I use iDVD but admit it needs more options...and yes, image quality does seem to suffer a little

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

LeesaB
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2007 07:34 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #3

Not sure this is correct, we just looked at a Mac and the guy said a program comes with it, called Imovie or Ishow ???? He produced a very nice show for us in under 1 minute with music and transisitons...

It came with the Mac's.

LeesaB
www.LisaNikole.com (external link)
ME (external link)

LeesaB
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2007 07:35 as a reply to  @ LeesaB's post |  #4

Ok...and it does make DVD's also...maybe it is a newer version?

LeesaB
ME (external link)

Wedding ­ Shooter
553 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 08, 2007 09:56 as a reply to  @ LeesaB's post |  #5

Island Photo is referring to the same software you are Rakefet.

When you output a slideshow from iPhoto to iDVD it looks ok on a TV - but not so great on a computer due to the higher resolution of the monitor.

iDVD is the culprit - it resizes the photos in a fairly ordinary way.

I use it and it is fine - but I would love a better option as well.

I think Showit's one major flaw is that you have to send off money and wait for a DVD to come back.

Much better to be able to sort it out straight away and burn it yourself.

Please - are you listening David - I would pay extra for the software if you would include this feature - buy it in a heartbeat.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

LeesaB
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2007 13:08 as a reply to  @ Wedding Shooter's post |  #6

oo OK...like I said, I am very very new to Mac...actually have not comitted to buying one yet...but most likely will...and I have never made a DVD from one yet, and it is good to know this, because I was SO SOLD on what they showed me and when asked, could I make a DVD, of course I was told YES...what I should have asked is..How good of a DVD does it make?

hmm...so, we need software for making and buring a DVD..ok..like Islandphoto said..back to square one. I was not help UGH..sorry...

LeesaB
ME (external link)

LeesaB
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2007 13:11 as a reply to  @ LeesaB's post |  #7

ok and...I LOVE proshow gold...One reason I wil probably keep my PC up and running...great Slideshow maker, DVD producer etc. I planned on keeping my PC up, just not internet ready and removing most software besides a few that I still really really like to use.

LeesaB
ME (external link)

Pamela107
320 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 08, 2007 13:52 |  #8

Wedding Shooter wrote in post #3171393 (external link)
Island Photo is referring to the same software you are Rakefet.

When you output a slideshow from iPhoto to iDVD it looks ok on a TV - but not so great on a computer due to the higher resolution of the monitor.

iDVD is the culprit - it resizes the photos in a fairly ordinary way.

I use it and it is fine - but I would love a better option as well.

I think Showit's one major flaw is that you have to send off money and wait for a DVD to come back.

Much better to be able to sort it out straight away and burn it yourself.

Please - are you listening David - I would pay extra for the software if you would include this feature - buy it in a heartbeat.

Cheers,

Chris

I use MAC and you can make slideshows with iphoto, then import to idvd, you have a choice when setting up to burn for tv or computer view.

Canon Rebel XT
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 70-200 4L
Mamiya 645 Pro
www.exposedimages.net (external link)

islandphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 08, 2007 14:05 |  #9

Thanks Pamela - I'll give that a try. I have made DVDs for clients and they have been very happy with them - I just see a huge decline in the image quality on the TV screen - also the black lines of the frame sort of move on the TV. On the computer - it looks great. Also - I'm having trouble with not chopping people's heads off because of the kensburn effect (which I love) I just don't like it when it doesn't show the whole frame on certain images.

- Joanna
5D, 20D, canon 18-55, canon 70-200L f4, canon 24-70L, canon 50 1.4, 2 x Canon 580EX, 7GB of memory, omnibounce diffuser, photoshop 8

tenoverthenose
822 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 08, 2007 14:11 as a reply to  @ islandphoto's post |  #10

Have you taken a look at Apple's DVD Studio Pro? It's more expensive, and overkill to be sure, but it has great results and is completely customizable. I use it all the time to give clients slideshows quicklyl. Of course I'm normally a video guy, so I have all the software.

www.patrickpike.com (external link) | twitter (external link) | facebook (external link)

joruiz
Goldmember
1,619 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 08, 2007 14:27 |  #11

On my mac I use this one:

http://www.lqgraphics.​com/phototomovie.php (external link)

There's also a Win version. It's about $50. Then I burn the resulting movie with iDvd, looks great on TV. I use DVD Studio Pro too (we also make videos) it's great and all, but for what you guys want, it is overkill. iDvd is just fine, and Lisa, iDvd does make GOOD dvds, try it. Don't judge the DVD on your computer monitor, watch it on a regular TV.

cheers.. :)

Joel

Cantisani
my facebook profile (external link) |

dave.richards
127 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 08, 2007 15:20 |  #12

I use iMovie then import to iDVD. What I do is resize my images to 1440px on the longest dimension, then add and regular sharpen filter twice in Photoshop. I have had great results doing it this way. The images will look overhsharpened on your monitor, but on a TV they will look great.

dave.richards
The Website (external link)
The Blog (external link)

islandphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 08, 2007 18:38 |  #13

thanks guys for all the feedback :) I agree that it does look better on the TV than on your computer screen. That's a good idea to sharpen it.

- Joanna

Wedding ­ Shooter
553 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 08, 2007 20:06 |  #14

islandphoto wrote in post #3172692 (external link)
Thanks Pamela - I'll give that a try. I have made DVDs for clients and they have been very happy with them - I just see a huge decline in the image quality on the TV screen - also the black lines of the frame sort of move on the TV. On the computer - it looks great. Also - I'm having trouble with not chopping people's heads off because of the kensburn effect (which I love) I just don't like it when it doesn't show the whole frame on certain images.

With the Ken Burns effect you can turn it off on individual images and also adjust it for individual images. There is a check box on the main screen of the slide show that allows you to do this.

Chris

Tmosley
136 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 08, 2007 20:52 |  #15

Not sure if you own lightroom but its slideshow program is nice, i actually just used it for the first time over the weekend to show a client their eng session, worked really well actually, and what really sold me on it was the fact that it mixed the photos up so you didnt get the same setting one after another,

sponsored links

2,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
help - I need a good slideshow program for macs
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.