Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 May 2007 (Saturday) 09:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Counterfeit label or not the Counterfeit label?

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,034 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 12, 2007 11:06 as a reply to  @ post 3194178 |  #16

Gedi, who did you buy this camera from? Did the box have an official looking Canon 1 year warranty card in it? Did you try registering on Canon's website?

I would think that if you got the camera from a questionable source, and you can't register your camera on Canon's site, then it's highly suspicious that this might be counterfeit.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Gedi
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

May 12, 2007 12:00 |  #17

davesrose wrote in post #3194236 (external link)
Gedi, who did you buy this camera from? Did the box have an official looking Canon 1 year warranty card in it? Did you try registering on Canon's website?

I would think that if you got the camera from a questionable source, and you can't register your camera on Canon's site, then it's highly suspicious that this might be counterfeit.

In private shop. Canon 30D has with a box. 1 year a guarantee only from shop. There was a problem with registration in website on Canon. With white ethics with number 72227967 from body Canon 30D in website does not accept.
And number 1330910516 of Exif Info accepts in website on Canon.

IMAGE: http://r.foto.radikal.ru/0705/3f/e07863c8990c.jpg

IMAGE: http://r.foto.radikal.ru/0705/8f/8dbd10c06379.jpg

IMAGE: http://r.foto.radikal.ru/0705/46/ab11fd269d2a.jpg

IMAGE: http://r.foto.radikal.ru/0705/b8/f716e4b6a808.jpg

IMAGE: http://r.foto.radikal.ru/0705/20/4a80b2d74651.jpg

Canon 5D Mark III I Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L I Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L I Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM I Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II I Speedlite 600EX-RT I Flickr (external link)

Canon 30D I Canon EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS I Sigma 50mm 1.4 I Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM I Canon 580EX II Speedlite I Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 I

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

May 12, 2007 12:09 |  #18

What happens if you register it as a 20D with the serial number on the bottom.......

Here is a thought. has the bottom plate been changed for some reason (refurb) with one from a 20D ??????? Just guessing and probably miles off...

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP
My Website (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 12, 2007 12:09 |  #19

I wonder if this camera was stolen and re-labelled. I am imagining a theft of quite a few cameras in a shipment and application of fake serial number labels prior to selling them to unsuspecting customers.

Was the price in line with other honest retail outlets or was the price too low to be legitimate?

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 12, 2007 12:23 |  #20

If he has registered the exif serial number with Canon and registration has gone through OK.. Then Canon are not aware it is stolen ? ? ? ? ? Maybe

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,282 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 12, 2007 12:32 |  #21

JohnnyG wrote in post #3194178 (external link)
I tried this and no serial number is reported on my pictures. I tried it on a 20D and a 30D!
No serial number at all!

Am I doing something wrong?

Use "Digital Photo Proffesional" Canon software, that shows it. Lightroom, PS etc do not show the info.

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 12, 2007 12:44 |  #22

Buying new, with a gaurantee only from the shop, would make me suspicious from the start.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,034 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 12, 2007 13:44 |  #23

crn3371 wrote in post #3194529 (external link)
Buying new, with a gaurantee only from the shop, would make me suspicious from the start.

Yeah...you're definitely not going to get support from Canon for this camera if you can't register. If you were able to register using the EXIF info, then maybe Canon will talk with you....if your camera breaks, they may tell you it's a gray market camera and not something they can service under waranty. They may make you pay for any repairs it needs. Your only hope about this gray market camera is that the seller is good on their word of providing service(which having a conterfeit label is highly questionable though)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

BasherXt
192 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 12, 2007 14:14 |  #24

if you pick at the white lable does it expose the grey label beneath? or no label at all? i'm thinking maybe a refurb or repair??

http://heatware.com/ev​al.php?id=43191 (external link)

Philgr
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 30, 2007 07:13 as a reply to  @ BasherXt's post |  #25

Found this thread whilst researching a similar issue :(

My Story

Purchased a 30D from out of Country supplier, camera recieved a couple of day prior to a trip to the states, give it a once over and packed it away.
My 30D then failed after 2 days of use on holiday (total failure - would not power-up), so i emailed the supplier while away, got no response :(

on holiday return i phoned them and reported a failed camera, and i asked them for a replacement, only to be told to send it to a Authorised Canon Repair centre, as it failed only a couple of days into ownership i wanted a replacment, so i refused to send it.

Then i noticed that the serial number on the body and the EXIF data were different.

Camera Body

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i26.photobucket​.com …cys/30D-serial-Number.jpg (external link)

EXIF Data in Light room
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i26.photobucket​.com …eported-Serial-Number.jpg (external link)

I contacted the supplier with this info and sent the above pictures, they then agreed for the camera to be returned to them for investigation.

I now have a replacment camera, and the supplier is investigating the issue with their supplier.

To be fair to the supplier they have been ok in resolving this issue, and i have been compensated for my troubles

My advice is buy local, it makes for a less stressful time when things go wrong

Phil G

30D - EF 28-135mm IS - EFS 17-55mm - EF 50mm 1.8 (Dead) - 580EX Mk11

khall
Goldmember
3,803 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 30, 2007 07:34 |  #26

Was the buying price realistic or was it bargain basement?

YNWA.

Philgr
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 30, 2007 07:44 |  #27

khall wrote in post #3463981 (external link)
Was the buying price realistic or was it bargain basement?

It was certainly not bargain basment , It was at a price that was comparable to other non UK suppliers

30D - EF 28-135mm IS - EFS 17-55mm - EF 50mm 1.8 (Dead) - 580EX Mk11

khall
Goldmember
3,803 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 30, 2007 08:45 |  #28

Sorry Philgr if you misunderstood my comment. But I was meaning the price paid by Gedi.

YNWA.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 30, 2007 13:39 |  #29

Philgr wrote in post #3463928 (external link)
Found this thread whilst researching a similar issue :(

My Story

Purchased a 30D from out of Country supplier, camera recieved a couple of day prior to a trip to the states, give it a once over and packed it away.
My 30D then failed after 2 days of use on holiday (total failure - would not power-up), so i emailed the supplier while away, got no response :(

on holiday return i phoned them and reported a failed camera, and i asked them for a replacement, only to be told to send it to a Authorised Canon Repair centre, as it failed only a couple of days into ownership i wanted a replacment, so i refused to send it.

Then i noticed that the serial number on the body and the EXIF data were different.

I contacted the supplier with this info and sent the above pictures, they then agreed for the camera to be returned to them for investigation.

I now have a replacment camera, and the supplier is investigating the issue with their supplier.

To be fair to the supplier they have been ok in resolving this issue, and i have been compensated for my troubles

My advice is buy local, it makes for a less stressful time when things go wrong

Phil G

There is something rotten in the state of Denmark (Hamlet by Shakeseare):

My 30D reads: DS126131
When this is typed into Google, it lists a site that links to a pdf file. I "ran" the pdf file, and it's the manual for the 30D.

Your 30D reads: DS126091
When this is typed into Google, it lists a site that links to a pdf file. I "ran" the file, and it's the manual for the 5D.

However the picture of the rear of you camera looks exactly like my 30D.

Another thing your camera has in common with mine is "COMPLIES WITH CANADIAN ICES . . . . ", but on my 30D, this takes four lines, whereas on your's it's written in two lines.

Also, I'm not sure why a camera not purchased in Canada would have the Canadian compliance stuff - and written in English and French. Mine does, but I live there and it was purchased there.

One other thing: the identity plate on your camera is sloppily placed - it's not aligned neatly with the recess in the body - the lower right corner is messy. On mine, the alignment is perfect as it should be coming from the Canon factory.

Stolen goods? It's a possibly, and re-badged.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 30, 2007 15:57 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Stolen and rebadged, my bet too! :(

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

sponsored links

32,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
Counterfeit label or not the Counterfeit label?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.