Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jan 2003 (Tuesday) 05:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon DSLR shutter limit ?

beach512
108 posts
Joined Jul 2001

Jan 21, 2003 05:54 |  #1

I was wondering if this was true. Someone put an opinion on dpreview about the D30 having a shutter limit of 30,000 shots, then the flash will not sync with the shutter. Then it needs to be sent to Canon repair who will charge for the repair when they only reset the counter.

I am sure there are some here with over 30,000 shots on their D30's. Can anyone confirm this ?

Reason is I am looking to get a used D30.

thanks,
Dave

http://www.dpreview.co​m …anon_eosd30&opi​nion=13641 (external link)

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,924 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Jan 21, 2003 06:00 |  #2

Actually the D30 limit is 20000, most last 35000 and some even 100000 shots. Shutter replacement is quite cheap (I have a new D60 shutter in my D30 and it should last at least 45000 shots), but the only one who can tell the real shot count on a D30 is Canon repair (their own software can show it).

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

steves
229 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jan 25, 2003 21:13 |  #3

I really dont know way its such a big deal. Its about 300.00 to replaced a shutter and then your almost new again. Shutter life for some reason varys. Just like pekka said I seen them do up to 100.000. I think the average is around 35,000.

philw
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jun 2002

Jan 27, 2003 10:28 |  #4

28,000 in my case, for a D30. That's pretty good I think.

The failure mode was for the shutter to start intermittently failing. Failure was either partial or total. In the case of partial operation the centre of the frame was fine, but the edges - top & bottom, were dark. The replacement cost in the UK is about 200 quid. I'm not sure precisely because they also had to fix the pop-up flash and command dial, neither of which work that well when they've been wet one too many times.

There's of course no "limit"; the things just wear out eventually. This sort of thing wasn't much of a problem with film because most of us didn't shoot that much. Now the marginal cost is zero, shutters get more wear, do they not.

The 1Ds claims 150,000. We shall see.

gsrossano
48 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Jan 27, 2003 21:11 |  #5

My D30 is up to 80000, though I haven't used it much since I got a D60 (which by the way has broken twice since I got it and has to be sent back to canon AGAIN).

But about the shutter sync thing. Does somebody know what the real deal on that is. I know someone who wants to use my D30 with some studio lights but if it won't sync, it won't do, and we don't want to waste a lot of time trying to debug something that is a hopless cause.

jipper
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 02, 2003 18:57 |  #6

You might check "What is Error 80" back on Page 6 -

Same symptoms except an error msg shows up if you don't miss it.

Seems also to happen around 30,000 exposures.

Happened to me overnight: Friday worked fine, Saturday locked up on any use of flash.

sponsored links

3,155 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon DSLR shutter limit ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.