Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 22 Mar 2007 (Thursday) 02:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light Meters

spphoto
387 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 22, 2007 02:00 |  #1

Hey, I'm mostly a portrait photographer but recently have been branching out into weddings. I've used flash and ambient light meters before, but don't actually own one. I can definatly see the pro's of using one, but I've been just rattling off a few test shots and using the histogram to get my exposures right in studio. On location I usually use either the cameras metering or manual with flash. When I shoot film in studio I get the exposure on the digital first and then dial that into the other camera (that's a pain in the behind and the biggest reason for this thread) and on location it's the same as digital, camera meter combined with flash and manual.

Now that you know my background, my question! How many of you regularily use light meters? Has anyone used one but abandoned it? I'm thinking of getting a Sekonic L-358, which I've used before, but before I drop the $400 I'd like to be sure.http://www.vistek.ca …tails.aspx?WebC​ode=202200 (external link)

~ Stefanie Pletscher
www.spphoto.ca (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 22, 2007 02:34 |  #2

L358 isn't that expensive is it? I find the L358 great for strobes, but I tend to use the histogram to work out exposure mostly. There's probably something wrong with my technique, but when I use it to set exposure outside of the studio the results are a bit hit and miss.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 22, 2007 02:35 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

They can help, especially with multiple flashes. Ettl blows IMO, so anything that helps shoot in M is gravy.

Just a side note about shooting in digi for film exposures. The working EI of the film is most likely different than that of the stated iso on the box, and even that is different than the digital equivalent. You can get close, but the photo nerds will tell you that a light meter and knowing your working EI is the better way.

I used a Minolta Flashmeter VI, but apparently they are no longer for sale. I had much better success with them vs the Sekonics.

Photographic Resources (external link) || International Photo Journalist (external link)

Blog (external link)

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographer (external link)

Scott_Quier
888 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 22, 2007 12:46 |  #4

I have the Sekonic 358, love it.

You can find it at B&H (here (external link)) for $259 USD. Something to think about. Abandon it? I don't think so!

Scott
Operation: Love Reunited (external link)
Check out my blog (external link) Gear List

spphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 22, 2007 13:45 |  #5

Ya, the L358 is $379 or so at Vistek (Canada's answer to B&H). There's no point in ordering one from the states for me because we end up paying the price difference in taxes and border fees. I don't mind paying that much for it, I just wanted to be sure that I'd use it.

~ Stefanie Pletscher

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 22, 2007 13:53 |  #6

I use the 358 for off camera flash metering at times. I find it's pretty accurate for that. But I don't use it for ambient readings. I find my in-camera meter to do quite well in this situation, provided you know what EC a particular scene needs.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

spphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 22, 2007 16:17 |  #7

Ya, I find I'm not great at guessing EC, so I'm thinking it might be smarter to take incident readings than to futz around with EC while people are waiting.

~ Stefanie Pletscher

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 22, 2007 18:04 |  #8

I was very hesitant about dropping 220 bucks on a meter, but it turned out one of the best investments I've made. I use it any time I have an opportunity to actually meter, which is 90% of the type of shooting I do.

It's a really nice, well designed tool with a friendly interface.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Hassan2285
264 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 23, 2007 09:49 |  #9

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #2914787 (external link)
I was very hesitant about dropping 220 bucks on a meter, but it turned out one of the best investments I've made. I use it any time I have an opportunity to actually meter, which is 90% of the type of shooting I do.

quick question.

are you talking about the one mentioned above or do you use a different meter? If so which one.

thanks

5D
580EX
Canon 24-70mm L F2.8
Canon 50mm 1.8 MkII
Hoping to add more soon

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 23, 2007 13:20 |  #10

I went with 358 after using a version of minolta V. Minolta is said to me more stable, but sekonic has a more friendly interface so I went with that one.

Now minolta isn't made and I think L358 has very nice characteristics as compared to other brands.

There's that 600 series multimeter, but it's way too bulky and expensive for me.

Phil ­ Light
"manly fragrance,.. involuntarily celibate"
2,218 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 23, 2007 19:02 |  #11

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #2914787 (external link)

Doc, do you do mostly studio work? It seems like most people don't want to bother with one outside of a studio.

Please disregard all opinions in this post
Gear

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 24, 2007 13:30 |  #12

Phil Light wrote in post #2920174 (external link)
Doc, do you do mostly studio work? It seems like most people don't want to bother with one outside of a studio.

I do quite a bit of stuff I do is with a manual flash, but it's nor necessarily studio.

A lot of the times I prefer an ambient reading to a reflected one.

Granted there are some styles of shooting whch favour a reflective reading.

photosbylisa
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 16, 2007 19:41 |  #13

Scott_Quier wrote in post #2913140 (external link)
I have the Sekonic 358, love it.

You can find it at B&H (here (external link)) for $259 USD. Something to think about. Abandon it? I don't think so!

I have the L358 and am NOT loving it :evil:

I am truly hoping that it is user error. I shoot with the 30D and every time I meter a subject for an outdoor portrait, it is ALWAYS underexposed. Yes, I'm in the right iso and metering mode.

I was told by a rep at the camera store where I bought both the camera & meter that because the 30D's sensor is so sensitive that if I want to meter correctly this is what I have to do. If I want to shoot iso 100 I have to meter 200, shoot iso 400 meter at 800 and so on.

I tried this tonight as well....didn't work :(

I will try playing around with the exposure compensation tomorrow.

Are you telling me that your meter is pretty much spot on?? Green w/ envy and wanting my meter to at least put me in the ball park!

dave.richards
127 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 16, 2007 19:55 |  #14

Outdoors my L358 is pretty damn accurate as long as I am in open shade with consistent light. But like Tim said above, I find myself using the histogram more and more and really only pull out the L358 for studio work.

dave.richards
The Website (external link)
The Blog (external link)

Padawan ­ Dad
908 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 16, 2007 20:46 as a reply to  @ dave.richards's post |  #15

Contrary to what a lot of people are saying about the 358 with ambient light, mine is very accurate 100% of the time. Accurate with strobes as well. I absolutely love it! Is it possible to get bad copies? Maybe technique is an issue... I don't know; but mines perfect :D

Bill Hicks Photography (external link)

Nikon D700 • 50 ƒ/1.4G • 24-70 ƒ/2.8 • 70-200 ƒ/2.8 VRII SB900  iMac

sponsored links

3,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light Meters
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.