Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 26 May 2007 (Saturday) 21:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monopods

HuskiesD1
431 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 26, 2007 21:59 |  #1

Hi all,

I am looking for a good monopod capable of carrying my 20D and 70-200 2.8L. Will be shooting tons of sports this fall, so I hope.

What do you suggest?

sponsored links
ghms421
471 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 26, 2007 22:02 |  #2

Bogen 681B or 680B. Durable,cheap, and reliable.

Franko515
"doped up on pills"
2,478 posts
Joined May 2006

May 26, 2007 22:05 |  #3

Bogen / Manfrotto 685B NeoTec Monopod Deluxe

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …eoTec_Monopod_D​eluxe.html (external link)

I love mine, so easy to open and close and its very sturdy (33lb load capacity).

Light, composition, shooting technique matter to the end quality most. -Pekka
My Flickr Gallery (external link)
My Gear List

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

May 26, 2007 22:15 |  #4

What head do you put on that one?

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

May 26, 2007 22:49 |  #5

I also bought the 685b. Love it. Applied the 488RO to it. Only problem is, it is very easy to lose the rubber foot. I bought extras and also bought cane rubber tips. Overall it is very user friendly.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 26, 2007 23:25 |  #6

I use the 680B with my custom bracket mounted and had a fabulous day out with it today shooting a wedding. I just got it earlier this week and I am not looking back.

I love love love love it.

Did I mention its great? LOL It will definitely handle a camera plus a 70-200. :D

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Franko515
"doped up on pills"
2,478 posts
Joined May 2006

May 27, 2007 00:01 |  #7

SuzyView wrote in post #3272707 (external link)
What head do you put on that one?

I havent seen any need for a head yet. The monopod foot has a ball in the foot that allows me to tilt it if need be and I find thats enough for me on a monopod. The foot also screws up to revel a spike ;)

I can post shots if anybody cares to see

Light, composition, shooting technique matter to the end quality most. -Pekka
My Flickr Gallery (external link)
My Gear List

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 27, 2007 06:19 |  #8

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 680B topped off with their 486RC2 ballhead. The ball head adds to the versatility in how I can use the monopod with a variety of lenses (with and without tripod rings) and a variety of situations (standing, sitting, etc.).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Mollym/CA
128 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 27, 2007 19:44 |  #9

I use my Canon monopod with the 10D and now the 30D and the 70-200 all the time. It's far more stable than my husband's Bogen (an older one) with the little useless legs, and only cost $29.95. It's borderline for the telephoto unless there's something more around to help steady either the 'pod or the lens, in my opinion, but I'm none too steady myself these days so maybe it would be fine with another person. It has a little ball head and a nice wrap-around firm foam hand-grip. The slot for changing to 'portrait' (long side vertical) orientation is out of the way of the adjusting knob for the head, which it isn't on that nasty thing of my husband's. I really like it. No, I'm in love with it. There's some question in my mind as to how long the clamps are going to keep holding the sections firm, for that price, but they feel solid and so far so good.

Posidon324
55 posts
Joined May 2007

May 27, 2007 21:35 as a reply to  @ Mollym/CA's post |  #10

I've also got the Canon 100. I bought it as a cheap, starter monopod (before I make the leap to a more expensive model). I've used it a handful of times and no complaints here. Chances are I'll upgrade in the future, but for $30, its hard to beat.

:: My Gear List ::

TomHuckWa
257 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 28, 2007 11:20 |  #11

Slik ez pod (not the jr) is a good pod for cheap, and works well for me.

Please speak slowly and distinctly. I have a wife, AND a computer, I don't need any more confusion in my life.
---------------
I wanted to be a nude photographer, but when I went outside naked, everyone pointed and laughed, so I gave it up.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2007 13:29 |  #12

I shoot a lot of sports.

I use a Gitzo 2540 or a GItzo 2940 with a 3232 and RRS clamp on top.

I also own a Manfrotto 695 and a Manfrotto Neotec. I never use any of these anymore.

Manfrotto 695 comments:
The 695 is not particularly stable with a last leg section that is pretty bending. I also do not like the flip locks for monopods since I find it hard to adjust them one handed and to adjust them so that there is a touch of friction to work with. Seems to be that it is mostly on or off so my adjustments become too gross. I don't think it is a bad monopod, just not applicable or useful for sports.

The Neotec is handy in concept. The reasons I no longer use it are:
1. I found that the trigger assembly at the top of the monopod can flex a lot more than I want it to. Even tightening down the screws that hold the clamshell together didn't eliminate this flex. You also have to still take a hand off the camera to adjust the height (trigger) so the advantage is somewhat mitigated.

2. It is too long. When strapped to a pack and if I have to make my way through a crowd or overhead stuff, I find it seems to want to snag on things. Too, when taking my pack in or out of a car (boat, plane etcc) with it attached, the extra (considerable) length makes that a lot harder. Again, it catches on everything.

3. The thing is heavy. I carry a lot of gear all day when shooting and moving from field to field. Cutting the weight down is important. This monopod is more than 2X heavier than my Gitzos and the other Manfrotto.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

RichNY
Goldmember
1,817 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 29, 2007 04:17 as a reply to  @ JohnJ80's post |  #13

Your best bet is to go with the Gitzo 2540 that John has. It will provide a stable platform for your current 70-200 and larger lenses you might purchase or even just rent for an event.

Nikon D3, D300, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2, 300 f/2.8, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, SB-800x4, SB-900, SU-800, (3) Sunpak 120J (2) Profoto Acute 2400s,Chimera softboxes, (4)PW Multimax, (6) C-stands, (3) Bogen Superbooms, Autopoles

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 29, 2007 09:00 |  #14

I have a Bogen 681 and it does quite well.

KirkHMB
677 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 29, 2007 19:15 as a reply to  @ jr_senator's post |  #15

Bogen 679 here. 63" reach was tallest I could afford. Unfortunately, the collapse height is a little tall at 25", just longer than the carryon I was using the day I bought it. Very solid, supports the 70-200 with no problems.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_679B_3216_3_Se​ction.html (external link)

Love it. Had one (Velbon?) with the twist locks, managed to twang them so they didn't work anymore.

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

sponsored links

2,761 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monopods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.