Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Nov 2004 (Friday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20D no infra-red remote - workaround?

LexLuther
78 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 05, 2004 13:48 |  #1

I noticed in a comparison that the 20D does not have the infra-red remote abilities as the D-Rebel. Is there a work around to get it to work somehow? What would my options be? I find this to be invaluable when my wife and I are on trips, and posing for the camera, one of usually just clicks off the remote for the 2 sec. delay.

The salesperson mentioned the camera has some sort of connection for transmitter/flash, but I wasn't 100% sure what he meant.

sponsored links
slin100
976 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Nov 05, 2004 14:28 |  #2

Sadly, I don't think there's any inexpensive remote-triggering solution for the 20D. Canon offers the LC-4 Wireless Controlller at a mere $410.

If you have Pocket Wizard radio remotes, you can buy a cord to connect the receiver to the camera's remote triggering port. The cost of buying Pocket Wizards and the cord ends up being about the same as the LC-4. So, this option really only makes sense if you already have them.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has engineered a DIY wireless trigger.

Otherwise, the 20D has 10 second self-timer. Run quickly. :wink:

Steven
7D, 10D, 17-40/4L, 50/1.8 Mk I, 85/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8, 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS, 80-200/2.8L, 550EX, Pocket Wizard

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Nov 05, 2004 14:56 |  #3

if you have a pda you MAY be able to do something...

just a though. Not too sure about that.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Jesper
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Nov 06, 2004 00:48 |  #4

LexLuther wrote:
I noticed in a comparison that the 20D does not have the infra-red remote abilities as the D-Rebel. Is there a work around to get it to work somehow? What would my options be? I find this to be invaluable when my wife and I are on trips, and posing for the camera, one of usually just clicks off the remote for the 2 sec. delay.

The salesperson mentioned the camera has some sort of connection for transmitter/flash, but I wasn't 100% sure what he meant.

I don't have a 20D (I have a 10D), but the delay should be 10 seconds instead of 2 seconds, unless you use mirror lock-up (custom function #12). From dpreview.com:

Self-Timer delay is by default 10 seconds, however if you use mirror lockup (C.Fn 12) the delay is reduced to 2 seconds.

You don't necessarily need an expensive LC-4 wireless remote controller, you could also use the TC-80N3 (external link) timer remote controller (still $133 at B&H...).

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

ingouk
54 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Nov 06, 2004 00:59 |  #5

on ebay someone sells wireless remotes for 10D/20D/1D/1DMK2.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …8832&rd=1&ssPag​eName=WD2V (external link)

maybe that would help you

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 06, 2004 06:31 |  #6

A Pocket Wizard Plus set and a Pre trigger cord work well on my 10D.
Scott

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography (external link)

sponsored links

2,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
20D no infra-red remote - workaround?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.