Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Jun 2007 (Monday) 22:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Black streaks across photos

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 04, 2007 22:42 |  #1

So I was taking group pictures for this banquet, and all was going well until my camera started giving me these weird black bands across the bottom of my photos. It started out more like extreme vignetting on just the bottom, but it got worse as time progressed.

I was using an old speedlite 155A from my AE-1 film camera attached to my 30D and I had a Sigma Super in slave mode through an umbrella on the right side. I turned it off by the time I was getting to these photos because I was afraid it was overheating (other people's point & shoots were setting it off full power). Attached are some of the worst pictures. By the 2nd picture, I was already trying to compensate for the black band. When I opened the RAW files in Photoshop and turned up the exposure, it started showing the image under the black band. These were taken on a 30D with the kit lens. Same thing happened with a 28-105mm, but then after about 10 minutes, it was taking pictures fine. I was using a Sandisk Extreme IV 2GB.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
forno
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 04, 2007 23:11 |  #2

Shutter may on the way out

Canon 350D -EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l
Fornography (external link)

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 04, 2007 23:17 |  #3

It's not the shutter. It's your shutter speed. 1/500 is not possible with this camera and these flashes. yuor sync speed is going to be about 1/200 to be safe.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 04, 2007 23:22 |  #4

yeah, i didnt think it was the shutter because I just bought it back in January. I thought it could have been something with the mirror, but the shutter speed makes sense also. Thanks Cosworth

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 04, 2007 23:36 |  #5

cosworth wrote in post #3322175 (external link)
It's not the shutter. It's your shutter speed. 1/500 is not possible with this camera and these flashes. yuor sync speed is going to be about 1/200 to be safe.

Cosworth is absolutely right. This is a classic case of synch speed mismatch.

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

morehtml
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 04, 2007 23:38 |  #6

Strobes only sync up to a certain speed with the camera. Some only sync at 1/60th or slower. But try 1/200th or slower.

---------------
"Allen's Visions of Nature Gallery" (external link)
www.allensvisions.com (external link)

more glass than I need

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 04, 2007 23:52 as a reply to  @ morehtml's post |  #7

A focal plane shutter (the type in all DSLR cameras) is made up of two curtains. When the shutter is fired, the first curtain opens followed by the second curtain to close the shutter. When flash is used and the shutter speed is too high, the second curtain has already started to close when the flash fires, hence the black bar in the image. This is why cameras have a maximum sync speed for electronic flash.

Early SLR film cameras had cloth shutter curtains that traveled across the film plane. Now the shutters are composed of metal blades that travel vertically, usually from bottom to top.

John

Vermin87
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 05, 2007 00:04 |  #8

good to know. Thanks.

How then does high-speed sync on flashes work?

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

forno
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 05, 2007 00:08 |  #9

ooops

Canon 350D -EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l
Fornography (external link)

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 05, 2007 00:10 |  #10

HSS fires multiple pulses of light extremely quickly and repeatedly to cover the entire frame. So one burst as the shutter is open for the top part, and another burst to light the bottom of the frame (what you are seeing as the black, unlit area in your exposures) as the shutter moves. Rinse, repeat ;)

HSS/FP flash typically requires dedicated flash units, though.

sponsored links

3,928 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Black streaks across photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.