Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 25 May 2006 (Thursday) 08:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An evening with the dishlickers

mijbril
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 25, 2006 08:07 |  #1

I suppose the greyhound racing is really a sport, but as I'm not a sports photographer really, I'll put these in the nature section. I do love greyhounds though, such graceful animals, beautiful sleek lines & speed :) The entire night after betting wins & losses was the cost of a kebab which is good value in my book :D

Anyway, this is the first time I've tried to shoot them, so comments & criticism are welcome :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Brad, travelling amateur hack

I've got all the equipment I need, now I just need inspiration :D
My Fotocommunity Pics (external link)

sponsored links
mijbril
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 25, 2006 08:09 |  #2

2 more

from the night :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

mijbril
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 25, 2006 08:10 |  #3

and a final 2 more, thanks for looking if you got this far :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

wakko
not a real Aussie
8,196 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 25, 2007 03:40 |  #4

ah great shots. I agree about greyhounds being graceful etc... I would love one, but I don't think it'd enjoy a 600m2 block :( I wouldn't put that kind of dog through that sort of misery.

hence a miniature sausage dog entertains me ;)

Feng
Using a 5DII + Other Bits & Pieces
Brisbane Coffee Club - Everything From Shutters to Cuppas... Take 2
**** POTNAC Servaas Group Buy - Mark III - Arrived & Packing! ****

mijbril
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 25, 2007 09:32 |  #5

wakko wrote in post #2926493 (external link)
ah great shots. I agree about greyhounds being graceful etc... I would love one, but I don't think it'd enjoy a 600m2 block :( I wouldn't put that kind of dog through that sort of misery.

hence a miniature sausage dog entertains me ;)

Same reason I have a chihuahua :D

Though he is pretty quick off the mark over the first 5 metres too ;)

darkvibe
295 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 25, 2007 12:42 |  #6

wakko wrote in post #2926493 (external link)
I would love one, but I don't think it'd enjoy a 600m2 block :( I wouldn't put that kind of dog through that sort of misery.

We have greyhounds. They need surprisingly little space and sleep ~20 hours a day. They need to be walked a couple times per day. They are high maintenance (measuring food, weighing, some have separation anxiety.) If you are seriously interested look for a retired racing greyhound adoption agency. Better than killing them when their racing career ends at 4 or 5 years old :(

http://www.darkvibe.or​g/gallery/ (external link)
Canon 30D w/ grip, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS, Tamron AF 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR DI, Canon 50mm f1.8 II, Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM, Sigma EF 500 DG Super, Slik Pro 400DX tripod, Slik Pro Pod 381 CF monopod.

stephenmc03
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 11, 2007 14:54 as a reply to  @ darkvibe's post |  #7

Hi some great shot there, i am thinking of going to shot some greyhound racing in the future. I was wondering what kind of seetings were you using and is there any regulations only not to use flash? Any help would be great.

Stephen

PhotoFranz
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 11, 2007 15:16 |  #8

Anyone who wants a Greyhound can get one pretty easily. There are animal welfare groups that adopt out the rejects after the racing industry is through abusing them.

They are truly lovely animals, as your pictures show.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/photofranz/ (external link)
Camera: Fujifilm HS 50 EXR 42X zoom, Sigma Electronic Flash EF 500 DG ST, Vegas Movie Studio 9.0, Noiseware Standard Edition, Photoshop Elements-11, Photomatix Essentials. I am here to learn from the experts.

Billiie
441 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 11, 2007 16:04 as a reply to  @ PhotoFranz's post |  #9

Grey Hounds are so beautiful and graceful. They really don't need as much exercise and space as people think.

Every time someone tells me how sharp my photos are, I assume that it isn't a very interesting photograph. If it were, they would have more to say. ~Author Unknown

mijbril
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,476 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 11, 2007 17:37 |  #10

stephenmc03 wrote in post #3359706 (external link)
Hi some great shot there, i am thinking of going to shot some greyhound racing in the future. I was wondering what kind of seetings were you using and is there any regulations only not to use flash? Any help would be great.

Stephen

They were all shot at either ISO 800 or 1600 & pretty wide open as well, around the f/2.8 mark. (I'm one of the fearless shooters, hehe), shutters speeds around 1/320 to 1/400.

Seriously though, down at Wentworth Park, the only request is that you don't use a flash. I was there again recently & I noticed that the official photographer (he is sanctioned to use a flash & gets on the other side of the fence as well) who I guess takes the shots for the various magazines etc, had upgraded from a dinky little Nikon to a Canon of some description.

Have fun there, they're truly magic creatures.

sponsored links

1,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
An evening with the dishlickers
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.