Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 14 Jun 2007 (Thursday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2 weddings in one weekend...should I do it?

Toogy
"I like pictures of myself!"
6,247 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jun 14, 2007 18:06 |  #16

I've done it before, and would probably do it again, in fact I have another double header later this year. I actually find I am a little better on the second day, not sure why.

Toogood Studios (external link)
Good Light and Shoot to the Right....

sponsored links
takurpic
25 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 15, 2007 00:59 |  #17

I've shot two double-headers (several hours from me) this June and have one more Fri+Sat at the end of the month, 2 states away. Yes, if your work flow is streamlined, it is possible. I'd do it every week if I could.

FWIW, I still had a couple of days worth of free time too, just not all at once, and I was able to do a commercial shoot 8 hours away mid-week.

Always Learning! ;)

MrTED
144 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 15, 2007 01:19 as a reply to  @ takurpic's post |  #18

My general rule is one per weekend. I have shot double headers before and it is exhausting, but it was a real buzz. Like someone said, if you are physically up to it and your equipment can be ready to go (batteries and empty cards with multiple backups of the day before), then go for it. Only you can decide if you will do it again.

Nathan

Canon EOS 30, 30D & 350D + Grip
Main Kit: 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 & 50mm f/1.4
EF Extender 2x II
Canon Speedlite 580EX & 580EX II
Stroboframe (Camera Rotating)

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 16, 2007 01:00 |  #19

go for it!! 2 weddings in a weekend is easy work, i do it all the time.. sorta lol but yeah, i say go for it and it will help u for when u get more busy. Once you start shooting, all your "creativity" comes back and u will feel as good as usual.
i think its the PP that will kill u and drain your creativity!!

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 16, 2007 01:21 |  #20

I've done it a couple of times at least, and i'd do it again. A triple header is when it starts getting tough, haven't done one of those yet. I do have to miss out step 9 of my workflow when I do double headers (see link in my sig).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

joegolf68
Goldmember
3,269 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 16, 2007 01:32 |  #21

Farm out some of the post processing to another pro.

Gear List
:D Peace be upon you :D

Kamra ­ 1
112 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 16, 2007 01:45 |  #22

thewavebb wrote in post #3377129 (external link)
I have found myself in a position that I could do 2 weekends in one weekend.

The addition would be on a friday, smaller wedding with only 8 hours of coverage. Everything is on the same site.

Second is already on the books, It is a much larger production with 10 hours of coverage.

I know I could physically do it, but i'm kinda worried about being burned out on day two and not getting the creative shots I want. I would have a different assistant for both days so they would be fully charged and ready to rip.

What would you do?

If your level of experience is up I'd go for it. Your creative juices will flow after you get over the initial drag. I've done it a few times. One day was without an assistant the next was with. It's a great experience. Besides, the goal is to make new contacts for future business and make profits. The only way I wouldn't do it is if you're not physically up for it.

Tony

mizuno
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 16, 2007 03:00 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Toogy wrote in post #3378408 (external link)
I've done it before, and would probably do it again, in fact I have another double header later this year. I actually find I am a little better on the second day, not sure why.

Ditto.

I find myself right 'in the zone' on the second day. First day alwas takes a little time to warm up.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHY (external link) | BLOG (external link) | PITBULL MANSION (external link)
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 16, 2007 03:42 |  #24

It's also pretty tough to turn down getting paid twice in a weekend, especially if photography is your only job and given how few days a year we can work. I also find the 2nd day easier. I suspect I could do three in a row but i'd need a couple of days off after that. You'd probably have to be full time to do it and all the processing, unless you outsource or have a very efficient workflow.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Phil ­ Light
"manly fragrance,.. involuntarily celibate"
2,216 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 16, 2007 04:13 |  #25

This thread reminded me of when I was younger in the 60's my dad started learning to do weddings working for peanuts through a wedding studio. There was at least one occasion where he shot one wedding on a Friday evening, THREE on a Saturday and one on Sunday. I remember that it was not uncommon at all for him to have two to three weddings in one weekend. And all this while also working a full time job. The only advantage was obviously since it was film, the photo lab did all the post processing. He did become incredibly skilled at nailing virtually every single shot with excellent composition, exposure and focus (Rolleiflex cameras - all totally manual, no motor drive, zoom lenses, etc.). He has mentioned to me several times how nice it would have been to have the advantage of shooting massive amounts of pictures and also being able to "chimp" the shots as you take them. It almost makes me feel guilty knowing I can rip off 4 or 5 shots of the same thing and just select the best one.

Please disregard all opinions in this post
Gear

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 16, 2007 11:20 |  #26

Ed Kanney wrote in post #3377527 (external link)
We've been in the game for over 15 yrs/about 3x-4x per year we 'double up' weddings on same weekend. Almost ALWAYS the 2nd wedding looks better than the 1st (however, it's pretty easy to 'call' the 2nd. B+G by the names of the 1st.). Just need to spend a couple hours (before the 2nd. gig) to make sure you've downloaded/verrified properly ALL files from first wedding before formatting/re-using cards for the 2nd. Not a big deal - you can do it - and do it well.

I wouldn't know, but was thinking the same as Ed here. The first will be good practice. If you review your results Friday evening and say "ohhh, that was good light there." "I really need to take a color ref. shot for this corner." "Wow, I hadn't noticed the venue left their raffle sign in that window, I'll need to take that down." "Oh, I love that angle on this one." Of course; your legs need to be in good shape. All that squatting and hauling heavy gear can be physically wearing on the legs and back. For that reason, I don't think I would, but that's only because I'm out of shape for it.:(

Gear List / Photos (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,155 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Jun 16, 2007 16:11 |  #27

thewavebb wrote in post #3377129 (external link)
I have found myself in a position that I could do 2 weekends in one weekend.

The addition would be on a friday, smaller wedding with only 8 hours of coverage. Everything is on the same site.

got one of those next month - except they're 4 hours travel appart from each other.. looking at 10 hours coverage on the friday then a 4hr trip upto the other to stay over night ready for the following wedding on the sat..

needless to say, taking my laptop and backup drives with me to transfer once we reach the B+B.. then its straight to bed ready for the next :)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

forcebender
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 16, 2007 21:50 |  #28

I would do it. Just make sure you eat right and drink enough, maybe bring some snickers bars to much on. And don't plan anything heavy for Sunday.

http://www.daveblakeph​otography.com (external link)
Network with other wedding professionals at http://www.weddingvend​orforums.com (external link)

Mario.
624 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2007 15:52 |  #29

I've done a double before, and I'll do it again. I just make it a habit to not do it every weekend. I ended up getting great shots at both the weddings. :) PS, it was a Saturday and Sunday. By time Sunday evening rolled by and I was heading home, I was exhausted. I wouldn't plan for anything else for the weekend lol.

Mario M. | Black Macbook 2.4/ 4GB | 40D | 350D| 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | 580EX | 430EX

sponsored links

2,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
2 weddings in one weekend...should I do it?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.