Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jun 2007 (Sunday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! My 30D died yesterday

Ryoichi
62 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 17, 2007 08:25 |  #1

I need your guys help!
My Canon 30D got a "ERR 99" message and has stopped working.

Details:
I was shooting a sailboat race on the water; 90 degree day and no cloud cover.
Using the EF70-300 DO (at 300 mm)
Shooting in Aperture Priority at 8.0 (1/640 second)
ISO 200
Evaluative Metering
AI Focus
Fresh battery
JPEG Large
The 30D is only a couple months old. Before it failed yesterday, I had taken 4,600 shots over the past couple of months with it.

When the camera failed:
In the midst of shooting several consecutive shots in the low-speed continous shooting mode, the camera failed and I got the dreaded "ERR 99" message.

I turned the camera off and back on on. Attempted a shot, got ERR 99. Took battery out and back in. Tried a shot, ERR 99. Swapped Lens (EFS 17-55). No dice.

The contacts between the lens and body seem to be absolutely clean. I have used only Canon lens.

Key point:
The lens focuses and IS works.
But, after I press the shutter button to take a pic, the viewfinder goes somewhat dark and remains so for about three seconds and then it clicks and then the viewfinder is 100% clear again. Is that due to the aperture getting narrow and getting stuck for three seconds? Or is it due to the mirror getting stuck? Anyway, this happens no matter what lens I use.

Later that day, I removed the lens, the battery, and the CF card and let it sit for several hours. I threw everything back on with another Canon lens (28-135mm), different battery, same CF card, and I still get the ERR 99. Same deal with the viewfinder getting somewhat dark and holding for three seconds before it got clear again.

Tell me, what is your diagnosis of the problem (before I send it to Canon for service.)
And hopefully it didn't damage my lenses due to the aperture narrowing down for 3 seconds when it should have been narrowed for only 1/640th of a second.

Ryoichi

sponsored links
RandyMays
712 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 17, 2007 10:39 |  #2

This happened to me the other day. I did everything you did and it still didn't work.
I then reformatted the card and things have been fine since.

Canon 40D, 5D MK II
Speedlites 430EX & 580EX II
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (Non IS), Canon Extender EF 1.4 X II,
Canon 400 f/5.6 L, Canon 100 f/2.8 Macro,
Canon 24-70 f/2.8L

GeForceFX
530 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jun 17, 2007 10:51 |  #3

try another CF card.
especially if it's a lexar :p

if you only have 1 card, enable shooting without CF, and try it without the card

1DmkIII / 500D / 20D / Blackrapid sport strap / 2 x POTN strap / speedlite 580EX
EF-S 10-22 / EF 17-40 L / EF 100-400 L / EF 24-105 L / EF 50 F1.8 II / sigma 80mm F1.4 / sigma 150mm F2.8 macro
manfrotto monopod and tripod and some heads / photoshop CS6 / lightroom 5.3 / WACOM Intuos3 A5 / Canon MP600R
my gallery (external link)

Vulcan58
Goldmember
1,789 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 17, 2007 12:13 |  #4

I had the same thing a while back, which I thought may have been caused by cold.
I left it until the weather warmed up, and it happened again.
Took it for investigation/repair, and it turned out it was something to do with the Iris cable inside the lens. £100 later it's fine.
EF 75 - 300 mkIII USM by the way.

Ryoichi
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 17, 2007 17:07 |  #5

I tried shooting w/out card and still got the same error message. So I'm going to send it Canon for service.
Thanks for everybody's help.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,760 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 17, 2007 17:25 |  #6

It's always great when people come back to a thread like this and let us know what the repairs were and what they cost. This adds to the general knowledge and allows people to search for problems and perhaps find answers as well.

Good luck,

Mark

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

PeteS
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 18, 2007 13:33 as a reply to  @ Mark_Cohran's post |  #7

Hi,

I recently had the same issue with my 30D, Error 99 with the aperture staying closed down for about 3 sec after taking a photo.

I sent it off for repair and it came back with a new shutter unit.
Luckily there was no charge for me as the camera is still under waranty.

Peter

http://www.peterstarli​ng.co.uk (external link)

aaronpaul
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2007 17:35 |  #8

yup - just got my 30d back with a new shutter. Nearly the exact same thing happened to me. Right at about 5000 on it clicks as well...

adblink
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 18, 2007 20:48 |  #9

aaronpaul wrote in post #3399692 (external link)
yup - just got my 30d back with a new shutter. Nearly the exact same thing happened to me. Right at about 5000 on it clicks as well...

how much was that?

|Canon 40D + BG-E2N | 580EXII | 430EX | Phottix Atlas Triggers
|100mm F/2.8 Macro | 70-200mm f/4L | 24-105mm F/4L IS | 1.4x MKII TC |Sigma 10-20mm

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,006 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 18, 2007 20:55 |  #10

&$*#%!!!! Anyone else have this at 5000 clicks? im reaching that mark and im out of warranty.... Yikes!!!

http://www.theanimalha​ven.com (external link)
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hy (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​s (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,725 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 18, 2007 20:59 |  #11

No time like the present to buy a new Mark III

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 18, 2007 21:12 |  #12

The service center must be pretty busy these days. Sorry about the error message. Send it out to them. The NJ center and CA center are good.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Ryoichi
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 18, 2007 21:17 |  #13

Interesting--and sad--to know that others had similar issues w/ the shutter. Anybody have any idea how many shots the 20D or 30D is normally capable of before the shutter breaks?
Also, is the Mark series and the 5D supposed to be more reliable?

takurpic
25 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 18, 2007 21:27 |  #14

30D is rated at 100,000 cycles per the Canon EOS Digital For Professionals literature that came with PDN recently.

Always Learning! ;)

PeteS
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 20, 2007 16:09 |  #15

For info, mine lasted 6 months and about 7500 shots.

Not good.

Peter

http://www.peterstarli​ng.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

2,626 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! My 30D died yesterday
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.