Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 20 Jun 2007 (Wednesday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

pre wedding consultaion

Raffman
188 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 20, 2007 10:32 |  #1

I have wedding number two in a couple of months and will be meeting with the couple for a pre wedding consultaion soon. Wedding number one was for close friends and they were very 'whatever' about the whole day so it was really a case of making it up as I went, this next one is someone I know locally and I would like to be more organized and professional.

What things do you cover at the consultation?

After browsing the forum already i've not found anything on this but if there are links or topics I missed please send me in the right direction.

Thank you
Raff

sponsored links
SDJNJ
165 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 20, 2007 10:58 |  #2

Raff, an itinerary of the wedding/reception should be discussed as well as how they would like you to take their photos. Photojournalist or traditional or both. Must have photos should be talked about and find out special consideration for children and older people. I assume you've signed the contract? If not, then go over the contract, have them sign it and collect retainer. Don't forget to ask for a meal if you'll be there a while. That is written into my contract. Find out who the key vendors are: florist, DJ, etc. Make it a point at the wedding to take photos of these people and get their contact info. Sent them a photo after and set yourself up for referrals from them. Also, ask about any restrictions the church/ceremony spot will have in terms of flash, where you will be, etc. You might want to contact the officiator yourself to find out. Hope this helps!

Canon 1D Mark IV/1D Mark III/5D Mark II/20D/10D+100-400mmL+24-70mmL+
70-200mmL2.8 IS+17-40L+100mm f/2 macro+50mm f/1.4+85mm f/1,8+1.4 Extender+580 speedlites+STE2+Lightspheres,lumiquest​s,stofens+Jones brackets+CP-E3 battery pack+Pocket Wizards+ studio equipment, etc.

Raffman
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 20, 2007 11:29 |  #3

Thank you, some useful info there.

Any other thoughts are welcome and can anyone shed any light on whether a UK contract would vary much from the US, I have found several US samples here but none from the UK.

Thank you
Raff

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 20, 2007 11:41 |  #4

Take notes on what they are telling you about their day. It shows them that you are really concerned about doing a good job for them and also adds a bit of professionism to your consultation.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

*Mike*
632 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 20, 2007 11:44 |  #5

You can also use this time to get know them better. Find out if there are other vendors around that affect you - video, coordinator, etc. Hopefully you already know that, but if not, find out. Sometimes they hire or get gifted one and they forget to say anything.

Belle's Photography (external link)* Belle's Blog (external link) * Belle's MySpace (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 20, 2007 12:27 |  #6

Is this a common thing to do? I have never met with a couple between the initial consult/payment and the wedding itself, aside from engagement photo shoots.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Raffman
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 20, 2007 12:31 |  #7

Thank again all for the info, I'm slowly getting the idea and piecing it all together.

This will be my first consutation with them other than loose talk in the street.

Any fellow Brits got info on contracts?

Thank you
Raff

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 20, 2007 12:36 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

I do it with my couples to discuss the contract and collect the retainer. At the last consult, we discussed the venues for the wedding and reception, the type of gown she's wearing, must have shots, etc.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

SDJNJ
165 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 20, 2007 15:05 |  #9

I usually have two consults. The initial one to show my work, introduce myself, etc. I usually do not sign the contract then. I give them a folder with info & contract for them to look over. The contract is then sent by mail with retainer. Then, I have another consult prior to the wedding to go over details. This is usually done in person, but sometimes over the phone. This is in addition to their engagement shoot. I like to let the couple get to know. The wedding goes so much better that way.

Canon 1D Mark IV/1D Mark III/5D Mark II/20D/10D+100-400mmL+24-70mmL+
70-200mmL2.8 IS+17-40L+100mm f/2 macro+50mm f/1.4+85mm f/1,8+1.4 Extender+580 speedlites+STE2+Lightspheres,lumiquest​s,stofens+Jones brackets+CP-E3 battery pack+Pocket Wizards+ studio equipment, etc.

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 20, 2007 15:09 |  #10

picturecrazy wrote in post #3410582 (external link)
Is this a common thing to do? I have never met with a couple between the initial consult/payment and the wedding itself, aside from engagement photo shoots.

Quite common in the UK - and something we've always done.

Beyond what's already been suggested, what you actually talk about and sort out is really down to your personal style.

Re contracts - US ones I've seen tend to be overly legalistic, maybe because people are more likely to sue over there? If you PM me an email address I'd be happy to send you across a copy of what we put together for our own use (which is in plain simple english)

Rob

Raffman
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 20, 2007 15:17 |  #11

Thank you again for the further info.
Rob I'll PM you...thanks

Raff

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,695 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 20, 2007 15:44 as a reply to  @ Raffman's post |  #12

I always like to know how many people are gonna be in the Bridal Party.
I also like to know how many parents .. lol .. in most cases .. today anyway, lots are divorced,
and some have re-married .. it's not uncommon to see .. trust me!
I always ask if there is any *sensitivity* between the parents .. helps to know .. it really does.

I also like to ask the Bride if she does indeed have an itinerary, and if she does
if she'd be kind enough to send me one.
How long is the ceromony? Who is actually walking her down the isle?
Not all Brides choose Dad.
Limits on what the church accepts for what you need to get done.
How long is the reception? Times .. the time that everything takes place is important.
Helps you to know where you're gonna be ..

This is also a good time to let her know that my being hired by her, means that "I am the only professional there."
Other point N shoot relatives need to stand down. I simply state that it will help her day go by smoother,
and allow me to do my best job for her.

I suppose a *package* has already been chosen? If not .. have atleast several that she
can choose from .. and go over the differences between them.
Discuss turn around time .. Brides always wanna know just how long everything will take.

Be dressed nicely .. almost like the day you'll be shooting ..
I'm sure there's other things .. and someone will chime in with them.

Have a great day at The Wedding .. and here's to hoping .. many more to come! :)

Raffman
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 20, 2007 15:49 |  #13

Thanks for taking time on this DigiGrin, superb info that I can put to good use.

And yes..here's to hoping I have many more...thank you

Raff

mizuno
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 20, 2007 15:57 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

All my clients fill out a 'wedding brief' which gives me all the vital stats I need to be prepared for the day.

During the pre-wedding consultation I like to go over the brief with my clients, clarifying any questions I might have and putting together a rough timetable of the day.

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHY (external link) | BLOG (external link) | PITBULL MANSION (external link)
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,695 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 20, 2007 16:03 |  #15

Raffman wrote in post #3411528 (external link)
Thanks for taking time on this DigiGrin, superb info that I can put to good use.

And yes..here's to hoping I have many more...thank you

Raff

haha .. anytime man .. thats what's so cool about this forum .. ask .. and ye shall receive :)

Just to touch on the contract .. umm, for me, it's basically the same as what your notes are.
Tells the Bride that you're both on the same page in terms of what you're doing
and just how much you're gonna be paid.
I always ask for a deposit .. then the contract states that final payment is made
the Day of The Wedding .. also stating just how long it will take for final delivery.
If parent albums or enlargements are to be included, it should be duly stated in said contract.

Make sure to post the images .. we'll all be waiting .. ;)

sponsored links

2,349 views & 0 likes for this thread
pre wedding consultaion
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.