Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 21 Jun 2007 (Thursday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where are all the Canon users?

Brianbar
397 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 21, 2007 17:24 |  #1

Today, my wife and I went to our local park and flower gardens (great weather), we both had our Canon DSLRs, we were surprised by how many people there were with DSLRs, but alas we were the only Canon users that we saw, everyone else had Nikon's.
What's happening Canon?

Brian

sponsored links
dou_b_14
955 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 21, 2007 17:27 |  #2

could be that nikon has an add in everyplace imaginable!!! lol

Canon 5d w/grip / canon 7d/ canon G1X/ 24-70mm 2.8 L/ 17-40mm L/ 50mm 1.4/(2)580ex/ pw's (3) /st-e2/ (2)cp-e3 battery pack/ abr800/ vagabond 2/ calumet genesis 200w(2)/

saqib
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Jun 21, 2007 17:29 |  #3

Maybe they didn't want anybody to be tempted to steal their GOOD gear? hehe just joking :)

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 21, 2007 17:29 |  #4

Umm...isolated incidence? Just because Canon holds a greater market-share doesn't mean that you're going to see Canon cameras everywhere. I tend to expect typical consumers more to have Nikons, and even Sonys and Pentaxes and the like, as they're much cheaper and more easily attainable.

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Jun 21, 2007 17:32 |  #5

Canon shooters are out in the wilderness, not in the parks. :)

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

metavisual
26 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 21, 2007 18:21 |  #6

I have been shooting my son's baseball games w/ my XT all season.

One of the guys on the team showed with a new SLR just after father's day, and was taking some pics, so we got to talking...

He had the D40x...as he explained it to me, he wanted a new camera, and he walked into Best Buy and that was the best deal he could get.
I think it may be a part of Nikon advertising everywhere, etc...

I originally planned to buy a Nikon d50 (which would have been first foray away from Canon, I've always bought Canon P&S cameras (except for the cheap vivitar manual film SLR I bought to learn with :) ), but then did some research, and realized that the Canon had a better glass line up, etc...

Ironically, at the zoo, I was shooting my canon and saw a couple together with 20d's and L Glass, and at the Children's Museum, I also saw about 10 Canons, (XTi's, Xt's, a 20d, etc, with all different lens)...

It is seeming to me that people who do research end up with Canon for the most part, and people who buy based on store recommendation, and/or advertising, end up with Nikon.
(only my opinion obviously, based on what I've seen :) )

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 21, 2007 19:39 as a reply to  @ metavisual's post |  #7

Nothing is happening to Canon. Why is it that people start to get worried when they don't see other photographers using the same brand as they have (I've read the same kind of thread on the Nikon forums). The last statistics that I saw had Canon owning some 47% of the DSLR market. That is alot of cameras.

I've been through some rather touristy places in the past couple of weeks and what Mark raised is somewhat true. I was at a wildlife reserve and the cameras were predominantly Canon with good glass. I went on a boat tour of some inland fjords yesterday and the crowd was mixture of just about everything. Out of 50 people on the boat I only saw one other Canon besides myself. There were Nikon, Pentax and Olympus that I can remember seeing and it really didn't bother me that there weren't more of us. What there was, was a large portion of photographers that you could talk to about photography and it matters not to me what the person shoots with as along as they learn to use it real well.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 21, 2007 19:46 |  #8

Have you seen the ad on TV where Nikon gives a camera to everyone in a small town, one of the carolinas I believe. Lets see, I will give you a dslr if you say good things about it, But first you must do the commerical before you get the camera.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2007 19:47 |  #9

I'm sure they are all D40 users. Nikon's D40 set a new bar on low price for DSLRs. Sort of like when Canon set the bar when the first Digital Rebel was release sub-$1000 prices.

I hope I don't get stoned for this but I love Nikon... not their cameras, just the fact that they are there as competition keeps Canon's prices and technology in check. :)

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2007 19:52 |  #10

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #3417450 (external link)
Canon shooters are out in the wilderness, not in the parks. :)

I also add to this.....

-and at professional sporting events
-at important seminars
-at mind blowing rock concerts
-at portrait studios
-at remote areas for landscapes
-pointing at birds

:p

flickr (external link)

Jkim13
108 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2007 20:34 |  #11

for a new, everyday consumer that just walks into a Best Buy or something, the Nikon does seem like a better deal because of cost and the lens package you can start off with. The smart consumers know the truth and buy Canon lol

- John

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 21, 2007 20:36 |  #12

I wish everyone would start buying Nikons. There would be a troubled meeting in the board room....and then the announcement...."Quint​uple instant rebates for the rest of the year!"

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2007 20:42 |  #13

Due to budgetary recipes I originally went with the Nikon D50 back in Nov 06 and made some money with it. It was a great choice especially for a first dSLR but my secret love was the 30D.

This month I sold my mint Nikon D50 on ebay (they got a great package with only 6k clicks) sold a GLOCK19 that I hardly use and got myself the 30D :mrgreen:

Just a few more bucks and the 24-70L will be on the way!

I wonder if there is a correlation between location and what cameras people are using there.

Just sayin', LOL

_

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 21, 2007 20:48 |  #14

NO NO NO!!! All the Canon folks were here on POTN when you were out there! HAHA

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 21, 2007 21:30 |  #15

Here, see if THIS (external link) makes you feel any better. :)
(make sure you read the comments of each site, especially of the last part)

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

sponsored links

1,767 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where are all the Canon users?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.