Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 21 Jun 2007 (Thursday) 17:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What?? No WOW!!!

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 21, 2007 17:44 |  #1

Well normally I don't brag on my own work;)... But it finally happened where I had an entire wedding where I did not have a WOW shot... Don't get me wrong most of the shots were not bad I just did not see any that made me go WOW I did great. Now granted the wedding was running about 3 hours behind schedule:rolleyes: which through everything else off, but I should still have gotten some WOW shots.. Well maybe at least one...

Have any of you ever just not felt like the images you presented were just not your "best" work??

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2007 18:24 |  #2

The wedding ran 3 hours behind???? Are you serious? And people stuck around?

Unreal.

So...I gues we're not going to get to see the 'wow' image??

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

islandphoto
Goldmember
2,358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 21, 2007 19:21 |  #3

Well, why don't you do some really cool post processing to your favorite one and then post it. I bet we will say wow :) :) :)

- Joanna
5D, 20D, canon 18-55, canon 70-200L f4, canon 24-70L, canon 50 1.4, 2 x Canon 580EX, 7GB of memory, omnibounce diffuser, photoshop 8
http://www.joannatano.​com (external link)

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2007 06:43 |  #4

I think I will give it a shot... Pardon the pun.....

Ron

Grace
something cute
7,629 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 22, 2007 07:30 |  #5

Ron, when was the wedding? Maybe its still to fresh to be impressed. I am not normally a procrastinator- but with surgery and braces my schedule kinda got off and it put me about 2 weeks behind- I didn't even have a chance to "really" look at some images from a recent wedding that I initially was totally un-impressed by...then I opened them last week and was wow...I got a lot more really great shots than I thought. I had at first thought, like you, that they were ok..just ok.. Give 'em a rest- I bet if you don't look at them a few days you'll go back and find at LEAST ONE image you really like ;)

- Grace -

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 22, 2007 08:03 |  #6

I had something along those lines from todays wedding. I had a last minute booking, 2 hours coverage, and only 20 minutes to take photos of a couple who didn't feel very comfortable. The images are solid, a few good ones, but nothing "wow". I find the more time you spend with people on the day, and the more time you have available with them, the more they loosen up later in the day.

Post processing can help. A simple B&W or sepia can make a big difference.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2007 08:24 |  #7

Thanks everybody....

The wedding was this past Saturday. And yes, the ceremony was scheduled to begin at 11am and did not start until about 1:30 :shock:.

I will go back and look at them this weekend and work some magic. There has to be some "WOW" in there somewhere... I just have to dig it out....

Ron

stonefence
73 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 22, 2007 08:26 |  #8

With my last wedding, the couple lacked the wow. I couldn't pull romance out of them! Just boring!

http://www.belly2bebe.​com (external link)
Michelle Heron
now a member of the Zeiss club!
Canon 5 D 11, Canon 5D, 24-70L, 70-200L, Zeiss 35 f2, Zeiss 100 F2 Macro, Peleng 8mm fisheye.

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 22, 2007 09:04 |  #9

"Post processing can help. A simple B&W or sepia can make a big difference."

Isn't that the Truth!! I've learned now that even in the initial previewing...I don't get discouraged if nothing pops out at me. But after a little time in PS...woo-la...the magic begins to happen.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

MrsOpie
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 22, 2007 09:37 as a reply to  @ CatchingUp's post |  #10

I feel that way every time I look at the pictures right after the photo shoot. Its best to give them a rest when your mind has cleared out the memory off the shoot and then look at them with "new eyes".

-OpieFoto
Salt Lake City Utah Wedding Photographer (external link)

Modern, Bold, Raw Emotion

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2007 10:04 |  #11

Everybody has shoots like that. You leave the shoot and think "dang, I don't think I got a single great shot all day". Sometimes there's a surprise waiting for you when you go through your files, sometimes not. oh well, even Michael Jordan had some crappy games.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

wilky95
658 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2007 17:02 |  #12

stonefence wrote in post #3420370 (external link)
With my last wedding, the couple lacked the wow. I couldn't pull romance out of them! Just boring!

Yep I could not agree with you more, I have a photo on my laptop that I always show new clients, its a fantastic picture of the bride but the groom looks like he has just swallowed a wasp.............. but he was like that in every picture:rolleyes:

I very rarely now get a groom like that:D

Martin

"I am an incompetent so ignore :p "
http://www.wightphotog​raphy.com (external link)

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 22, 2007 20:12 |  #13

I think everyone must have a number of non-wow weddings. But dont forget that you're probably very critical of the shots and even if you dont think the photos are amazing the B&G will probably love em.

I think photos grow on you as you process them and as someone said above some b&w and sepia can do wonders! At my first viewing I'm usually ready to jump out the window in horror but when they're all done and processed I'm usually very happy.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

MarkAnthonyPhotography
347 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 22, 2007 20:26 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #14

Ron I'm like that at almost every event I shoot. I think its just a sign of how hard we are on ourselves to come up with that "impossible" photograph. Thank goodness I have my wife and friends to view them and tell me otherwise! I think that is a good trait to have though. It keeps you hungry for that "perfect" shot. Least I think so! But who am I?! :lol:

Mark Anthony
"What do you mean I can't use flash?!...":eek:
http://www.markanthony​photo.net (external link)

Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 23, 2007 06:43 |  #15

picturecrazy wrote in post #3420873 (external link)
Even Michael Jordan had some crappy games.

That's so true. It's like anything, some days you're on and somedays your not - the key is to be able to deliver solid work regardless, and great work on the days you're in the groove. It's just like a regular job - you have those days when things just aren't running at 100%.

Another thing to remember is what's a wow shot to us may be different than what the client sees as a wow shot - it never ceases to amaze me how people fall in love with the images that I deemed as "just ok". Like Tim said too, a simple B/W or Sepia conversion can completely turn a color image you're not feeling right around.
and timing

sponsored links

1,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
What?? No WOW!!!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.