Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 20 Jun 2007 (Wednesday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brides requests. How to handle

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 21, 2007 14:23 |  #46

I would try to close this relationship quickly and effectively! You performed your duties which was to capture the moments. Make sure the lighting, exposures and quality are good and that you offer them plenty of pictures to choose from. Then give them a hi-res CD/DVD and have them get their own editing done! Do you really think you will be able to please them? At $100/hr ( which you must be able to well document!), they could have you running circles! To ask you to add some special touches to a couple for potential enlargements is one thing, to make Aunt Mitilda lose 50 lbs is another! I think the more you offer yourself, the more trouble you can get into! IMHO

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

sponsored links
song4themoon
Goldmember
3,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 21, 2007 14:43 |  #47

You did your job and if she wants those special enhancements then you need to charge her for that. If the pics were bad because of a mistake that you made then she would have the right to tell you to fix it but not for something that is out of your control. How were you supposed to know that she didnt like her hair? And that the sister is getting skin treatments? No way!

www.forever-yesterday.com (external link)

Gear: 2 Canon 1Ds Mark II, 2 Canon EOS 20D , 580EX flash, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS USM, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 24-70L 2.8, CanonEF 100mm 2.8 USM, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Sigma 20mm f1.8, Peleng Fisheye, 3 AB 800 w/ Pocket Wizzards

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 21, 2007 16:42 |  #48

I would try to close this relationship quickly and effectively!

That sounds like good advice. If this is how she reacted to the photos...don't expect that she will be happy with the edits you make...and that's not a reflection of the quality of your work...just on the type of person she sounds like. I feel sorry for any children she might have, when they grow up to be less than what she expects from them.

I was going to ask if she complained to the cake maker about her shoes, or if she complained to the DJ/band about her photos? I guess it's just a pill that we have to swallow...being that photos are delivered after the event. The dress maker, the make-up artists, the cook...they don't have to deal with Bridezilla after the fact....but we do.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

bleeds
105 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 21, 2007 16:47 as a reply to  @ Big Mike's post |  #49

Hi. Do you mind posting some pics so we can see what you're referring to?

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 21, 2007 19:35 |  #50

I think it's completely unreasonable to expect you to do all these changes. I hope to God I never have a situation like this. Personally, I think you could make these things look like a work of art, and she's still gonna **** about it.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

Moments
181 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 21, 2007 21:58 |  #51

Do you feel that you are able to really do the retouching that she is asking for?

You did not create the problems. It is up to you if you really think that you can do the retouching and she will like it in the end. Money does not always make it worth it.

My take on retouching is this.

Minor RT fine.

Major RT (what you have)

Was it my fault? if so , do it N/C.

For other problems: I look over the problem first and kindly put the client straight as to whom is responsible, (hair dresser etc) As I'm looking over it I make up in my own mind if it can be fixed, if I know how, and how much should it cost. Do I have the time to do it. Was the client a person whom I liked working with or was she a pain to deal with.

I then let my client know how much work it will be and the cost. Yes or no from them, no deals etc.

The only time I made a deal was this.

I recently did a wedding in which my Bride's arms broke out in hives and her sisters hair was hanging a little too close to her left eye. (I saw it on the day and could not get it to stay put)

She knew of my RT skills and asked if I could RT the images in her album that showed these problems. The album that has approx 100 images in it. 30 or so of the images were to be retouched. I said I could for $400 - $500. then told her since she reffered 3 others whom booked me it was no charge for the RT. I told her not to tell anyone as I would never do it for anyone else. I wanted to make her feel like I was really doing her a big favor. That is the only time when I can say that I made a deal for a client.

In the end you know your client best. You also need to know if you can really do the RT.

Pete
www.memorablemoments.n​et (external link)

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2007 03:22 |  #52

ive seen brides with horrible makeup, dresses that dont fit, u name it but I keep my mouth shut. If they dont see it, who am I to bring it up and "ruin" her day?

would i fix it? sure as long as she pays me to. Small stuff Id touch up np, but major overhauls? no way!

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

Wedding ­ Shooter
553 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 22, 2007 03:49 |  #53

I think the problem has come when you asked her to send through the 12 or so images for you to have a look at - creating the impression that you were willing to do the work for free. The other's heard about it and have come on board with the unreasonable requests.

It is a horrible situation to be in - but perhaps you should politely remind her that you offered to look at about 12 images and any more will require a charge out of what ever fee per hour you choose. She should then determine how many pictures need the work done, allow you to judge the time factor involved and come up with a price that can be signed off on.

Chris

TeeJay
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 22, 2007 04:05 |  #54

In the last few days I started to wonder why I wasn't doing weddings - thanks so much for reminding me! :-)

Hope you get it sorted - as virtually eveyone else has said - charge her. I think whatever you try and do to placate her will result in further hassle. She sounds like the sort of person who will never be satisfied. Maybe she should tell you what "photographically" she thinks you have done wrong.

End of.

TJ

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 22, 2007 06:08 |  #55
bannedPermanent ban

I'd probably outsource the job, as Suzy suggested at a premium rate.

And as a result of this thread, I've changed my existing contract to address retouching issues more specifically. :)

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Lin-z
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 22, 2007 12:13 |  #56

This is the maid of honor issue. The bride says her face is abnormally dark around the eyes and the forehead. To mean she looks like a normal Indian girl, but I think she wants her to look more like the brides skin tone. These are two out of about 150 that she wants pretty much the same edits done to.

IMAGE: http://Lindsi.smugmug.com/photos/164234150-M.jpg

IMAGE: http://Lindsi.smugmug.com/photos/163663563-M.jpg

Here is the one with the "hair and dress issue"

The bride says that she wants the lump in her hair removed. this lump is on the back of her head. She also wants all of the gathers removed from the dress. She wants all blemishes removed from her face and wants her arm smoothed out? I really don't know what she means by having her arm smoothed out. This is just one out of like 25 cake cutting and glass toasting shots she wants edited. She wants these same edits done to almost every wedding photo, there are about 300.

IMAGE: http://Lindsi.smugmug.com/photos/164362721-M.jpg

Any suggestions on how to do these edits I would really love. Thank you.

Lindsi

http://www.lindsi.com (external link)

italianfemmy
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 22, 2007 12:24 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

Her maid of honor does not appear to have a skin problem to me. Maybe it's because of the size you posted these images at, but I don't see a problem at all. Her hair looks fine. That's part of the up-do she got. The only thing I don't like about her arm is that the top looks much lighter than the fore-arm. Maybe that's how her arm really is, but if not, it doesn't look evenly exposed or something. So, I can understand that if it's not how her arm looks. The dress is a little bunchy- perhaps she ate too much dinner before the cake cutting!!!

Gear List - Rebel xTi; Kit Lens 18-55mm; Canon 75-300 mm f/5.6; 2 batteries; 8 GB of CF cards; Canon 430 EX flash, diffuser, lens hoods, couple Uv filters
17-55mm IS f/2.8 AND Canon 70-200L IS f/2.8

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 22, 2007 12:33 |  #58

Okay, if I was given those pictures to work with, I'd outsource the job, mainly because I am no expert at smoothing out the dress on 300 shots or taking lumps out of hair or flattening arms that are fatter. The truth is, there are professionals that do that, and there is a great video out about a model getting a face shot and the experts do make up and lighting and then PS the poor picture they took so she doesn't resemble the original woman anymore. If that's what she is expecting, tell her that is a specialty that computer experts may have, but you don't. You are a photographer with some PP skills, but she's expecting perfection and the final product won't look a thing like her. It doesn't exist in real life.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 22, 2007 12:51 |  #59

If you have a noise ninja try taking one of her images through there smoothing her skin with reducing the sharpness. That may help... She is trippin hard......

I can see you hit her with fill flash and the other ladies do not have the dark circles around their eyes. I don't think she really knows what she really looks like  ????

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

PhotographsOfYou
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 22, 2007 13:01 |  #60

WELL NOW!!!

There are several ways to handle...But I would handle it quickly! This is something you want to do and do it right.

I ask, what was your relationship with the bride prior? I try to get to know my brides, talking occassionally, attending some of her events (coordinator meetings, bridal fittings, etc.) I know that, that is a bit much. But hey, at the end of the day I have brought to their attention: time restrictions; poor lighting conditions; My needs to get the job done, their needs and how they can be achieved. A open level of communication that "we" can say what is on our minds.

I had a bride who was 29, had a stroke at 22, and it as you would have immagined, We talked extensively on how to keep the good side present as much as possible. She Cried when photos were delivered....Oh yes baby! And this was f-i-l-m. I have my share of plus sized brides this year...I put them in the same positions...I don't care!!!!! I have a job to do. If it is medically safe I am photo safe. Sure you do, do the things to cover, hide and light (shadow out) things you know that are not camera-lens friendly. However, she knows that she and her wedding party had faults prior. I would do as previously stated do 1 image and seek approval. Then I would have payment up front: 2 hours minimum. And a seperate contract....One that you win-win-win.

Best wishes,
C-

Thank You,
Carlos Jones
www.PhotographsOfYou.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

6,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Brides requests. How to handle
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.