Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 24 Jun 2007 (Sunday) 05:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help! Should i continue to shoot weddings?

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 24, 2007 19:43 |  #16

Rob, I think we are our own worst critics... Don't give up if your clients keep paying you to work... Once clients stop paying you based on samples of your work then I would say move on....

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
italianfemmy
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 24, 2007 19:45 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Personally, I love the 2nd batch. The first ones are nowhere near as bad as a lot of others I have seen. Atleast your problem is blowing some things out that can be cloned in photoshop, unlike my problem... underexposing things that when brightened look horribly noisy.

Keep at it if you love it. I think you have potential.

Gear List - Rebel xTi; Kit Lens 18-55mm; Canon 75-300 mm f/5.6; 2 batteries; 8 GB of CF cards; Canon 430 EX flash, diffuser, lens hoods, couple Uv filters
17-55mm IS f/2.8 AND Canon 70-200L IS f/2.8

Wedding ­ Shooter
553 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 25, 2007 02:01 |  #18

I wouldn't worry about the blowen highlights in the first lot - composition and emotion are going to be what is more important in getting the wow factor.

Looks like a bit of contrast would help some of the images alot. For instance the celebrant shot has lovely contrast and is well exposed for the strong lighting that you had to deal with.

Wedding photography is a lot about self belief - you need to be confident in yourself to go out there and nail the shot. I agree with Tim - your call if you want to study, practice and work hard to get to the point where you can wow.

Maybe try second shooting with a wedding photographer and observe how they handle things - may help you to gain more confidence in yourself.

Understanding what is wrong is the first step to fixing it - just don't stress so much about blown highlights, shoot RAW and concentrate more on picking up on the emotion between the couple.

Engaging people so that they relax is also really key to this business - do you have that ability to "connect" with people?

Chris

Inspired ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 26, 2007 02:09 |  #19

Thanks all for your replies, encouragement, and criticisms.

I really appreciate the input from everyone.

I am willing to put in the hard yards to get better, so I think it is something i just have to work on. I have had an email from a well regarded photographer who has agreed to have me tag along at some stage. Won't name them as they may not want me to. It will certainly help me fill in the gaps with my knowledge and skills to become a better photographer.

I don't advertise for weddings or anything, so maybe leave it at that until i am more confident that i can produce the quality of work that is required.

Again, thankyou all for your thoughts and input, I really do appreciate it.

Rob

Robert Bell - Inspired Photography (formerly "Inspired Graphix" [and "Shooter-Boy" a long time ago])
Inspired Photography (external link)
email: info@inspiredphotograp​hy.net.au (external link) (external link)

MKII
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 26, 2007 02:26 |  #20

yes...the 2nd series where great.....i think that all agree with me...

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.co​m/JohnDomPhotography (external link)
http://JohnDomPhoto.Co​m (external link) - http://JohnDomWeddings​.Com (external link)

GEAR LIST

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 26, 2007 08:58 |  #21

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not among the top wedding photographers in my area... in fact, I'm actually pretty dismal compared to some folks that I've seen on this very board. I mean, I'm ok and do a decent job, but I'm always trying new things to make my photos better. Anyway... not about me.

I've only been in this business for a short time, and the one thing I've learned in the almost year and a half I've been in business is that even technically BAD images can sell if the content of the image has meaning to someone. I find also that nobody cares how you lit someone, or how you composed the shot, or any of that technical stuff. What they do care about is... Is it in focus(unless it's artistically intentional that they're not)? is it of someone or something special? Can you see faces? Then after that, it's what sets your images apart from the ones taken by the guests with their PnS cameras.

I think your images are all good enough to process. And if you shot RAW, even the blown out areas will have enough detail to recover.

And Mike has shown how much more punch the images can have with a few simple tweaks. I say process these images further and you're gonna be fine.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

allant
82 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 26, 2007 16:21 |  #22

I'm with Tim regarding the lack of the WOW-factor being your primary weakness. But I think if you like doing weddings and you work on creativity, etc., you can do fine. As others have said, work for free or VERY cheap at first.

Allan
Ask me about shooting your in-laws. :lol:
Website (external link) - Blog (external link)
20D; 24-70 2.8L; 70-200 2.8L IS; thrifty 50; 580EX, Vivitar 285HV

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 26, 2007 17:29 |  #23

With the first series, you ought to cut yourself a little slack because there just wasn't a lot of "there" there to begin with. They lack a lot of common wedding elements but it sounds like the whole affair was not very wedding-like to begin with. The second batch gets much better feedback because they show the context of the wedding.

Compensating your exposure in direct sun requires a lot of judgement calls and with such strong contrast, sometimes it is an either/or proposition. You got close enough and you can get better with practice.

When you're focused on making exposure descisions, it can be even harder to compose creatively at the same time. I think it's a matter of getting proficient to a point where you can spend a lot more time focused on composition than on e.c. or focus points. Sort of like learning to play an instrument...once you've spent enough time doing the boring, redundant excersises, you can then start to develop your own style further - but the only way to get there is to just keep shooting as much as you can.

Cheers
Philip

ps- I realize you're good at the other things you shoot, so I apologize if I sound preachy. I think you just need to keep shooting.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

Inspired ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 26, 2007 18:50 |  #24

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for your input. It is really appreciated.

I think i tend to agree that there wasn't much going on in the first series, but a top wedding tog would have made something out of nothing IMO.

I have made plans to rectify everything that I and everyone here believes I need to work on, so we'll see what happens.

Many thanks,

Rob

Robert Bell - Inspired Photography (formerly "Inspired Graphix" [and "Shooter-Boy" a long time ago])

Inspired ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 26, 2007 18:54 |  #25

Philco wrote in post #3444588 (external link)
ps- I realize you're good at the other things you shoot, so I apologize if I sound preachy. I think you just need to keep shooting.

No no, all opinions are respected, valid, and wanted, as expressed in my first post. I think I am on the right track to rectifying the situation now, and honing my skill set before being able to continue shooting weddings.

Many thanks,

Rob

jt168
124 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 26, 2007 19:11 |  #26

I also like the 2nd batch more than the first, only thing is for the last image, watch out for distractions (cup of drink, a picture frame on the left). Also, the shots are mostly straight and frontal - try some variations from that, even if for sure you think it will turn out bad. Lastly, what I've done a lot is browse other photographers website to look for inspiration and ideas. Also, look at the various associations and the winning photos of the various contests they put out.

Your style seems to be more formal/traditional - try some photojournalistic shots to capture the moments.

Best of luck to you, and go for it!

My Blog - JAY TSAI photography (external link)
Canon 30D | Canon 40D | Canon 5D | 10-22 EF-S | 17-55 IS F/2.8 EF-S | 24-70L F/2.8 | 70-200L IS F/2.8 | 100 Macro | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4

sponsored links

2,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help! Should i continue to shoot weddings?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.