Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 26 Jun 2007 (Tuesday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prevent slideshow ripping

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 26, 2007 12:49 |  #1

I have a question for those of you who provide your clients with DVD slideshow (showpro)....

Does anyone know of a way to prevent a customer from ripping a copy of your slideshow and giving it to their family and friends? Or is it more trouble then what is worth?

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 26, 2007 13:31 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Its more trouble than its worth TBH, if M$ and other software giants cant stop people pirating their disks how much chance do you think you stand ? My philosophy is to make the disks attarctive and good value for money (we Lightscribe them and put them in a nice photo case) so that if people want extra ones they are more likely to buy them than to copy them. We include a slideshow as part of our standard package but if we charged for it we would charge a decent fee for the first disk (for our time and pictures to make it) and then a nominal cost for extra disks to cover materials, time, P&P etc. End of the day I would rather people saw the product as I sent it out as thats a good advertisement for our business wheras a copied disk with scribble on it dilutes that somewhat.

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

Inspired ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 26, 2007 18:58 |  #3

Banbert summed it...

Even Sony Playstation tried to use their clever disks, and people just built a hotwire chip to make it useless.

It is like reprints, don't price yourself HOPING to get them. I did an engagement shoot for a couple who wanted to have one framed for people to sign as their guest book. They bought 4 4x6" prints. When i went to their wedding to shoot, I saw this massive 10x15" print that I took, but didn't print! Go figure.

Rob

Robert Bell - Inspired Photography (formerly "Inspired Graphix" [and "Shooter-Boy" a long time ago])
Inspired Photography (external link)
email: info@inspiredphotograp​hy.net.au (external link) (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 27, 2007 04:09 |  #4

You can't prevent people copying your videos, DVDs, or images. If I can see something, I can copy it. People also think if they paid for a 6x4" print they own the image and can do whatever they want. Stamping your copyright on the back can sometimes help, sometimes not.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Atl-Fotos
THREAD ­ STARTER
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 27, 2007 09:12 |  #5

I kind'a figured I couldn't stop them... oh well I guess this is carma for all the coping i did earlier in my life.... ouch....

Thaks Tim, I do backprint all my work so at least clients shouldn't be able to take an image to a store to make an enlargements. I know they will at home but that's cool...

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!
2,067 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2007 16:44 |  #6

Just charge enough for it so you at least get a good chunk of money for it.

*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer (external link)

sponsored links

1,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Prevent slideshow ripping
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.