Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Jun 2007 (Friday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A TAX ON PHOTOGRAPHERS IN NY!

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2007 10:19 |  #1

:evil: I hope this doesn't pass. http://www.nytimes.com …&emc=rss&pagewa​nted=print (external link)

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

sponsored links
freddyco
367 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 29, 2007 10:54 |  #2

Man it's tragic to watch what has happened to NYC in the past year or more. Regulating food ingredients... you can cross the street with an ipod... it used to be a great city. Now nyc is as over regulated and sterilized as much as the EU. Tragic to watch from afar.

iMigraine
64 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 29, 2007 11:00 |  #3

That proposed bill is too general to be helpful. I sincerely hope it doesn't pass in New York, it would be a terrible infringement on the average photographer.

Barb42
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 29, 2007 13:19 |  #4

What is the deal with these city governments wanting to control photographers all the time. What if someone stood there with a sketch pad? Whats a camera, if not an electronic sketch pad? Geez. Unbelievable.

http://www.barbsmithph​otography.com (external link)

Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
6,593 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 29, 2007 13:38 as a reply to  @ iMigraine's post |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

"New rules being considered by the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theater and Broadcasting would require any group of two or more people who want to use a camera in a single public location for more than a half hour to get a city permit and insurance."

When I'm out shooting, I'm not normally in the same place for more than 15 minutes, much less a half hour. I can't imagine too many people staying in one place for that long.

Anytime anyone proposes anything that might possibly affect any particular group, that particular group reacts, usually, with far more vigor and vitriol than necessary.

Honestly, I don't see it as a big deal...

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photography (external link)

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 29, 2007 13:39 |  #6

crazy law and i doubt it would pass. how on earth are all the millions of tourist going to get that permit? would take a dumb politician to think up something so stupid.

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,635 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 29, 2007 14:36 |  #7

They have a similar law in London, and frankly it really isn't a big deal. Two or more people in a SINGLE location for more then an hour... common, how often do you really think that is going to apply. And if you are doing a professional shoot, big deal. Every other industry needs permits to do commercial work on public property, why not this. To me, this is much to do about nothing. For 99.9999% of photos taken on the streets of NYC, this will have no impact.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

T.Hogan
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2007 14:38 |  #8

To Steve Parr, "Not a big deal"? How bout a officer just having a bad day, and for some reason you are that photographer, this is a possible law that he must enforce. This would be a law that would have a broad range.
"The rules define a “single site” as any area within 100 feet of where filming begins. Under the rules, the two or more people would not actually have to be filming, but could simply be holding an ordinary camera and talking to each other."

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

Barb42
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 29, 2007 14:42 |  #9

T.Hogan wrote in post #3460996 (external link)
To Steve Parr, "Not a big deal"? How bout a officer just having a bad day, and for some reason you are that photographer, this is a possible law that he must enforce. This would be a law that would have a broad range.
"The rules define a “single site” as any area within 100 feet of where filming begins. Under the rules, the two or more people would not actually have to be filming, but could simply be holding an ordinary camera and talking to each other."

An excellent point. And all it takes is one officer who is in a bad mood or does't like the looks of someone.

http://www.barbsmithph​otography.com (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,635 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 29, 2007 15:49 |  #10

Oh common, now were being silly. You could make that same argument about a "bad day cop" with just about any law. Requiring commercial photography or filming on public areas, particularly those that are as busy as they are in NYC is not an unreasonable request. And street shooting is often very disruptive of traffic flow. And the permit is free. Having insurance is just a smart thing to do if you plan on using the city streets to create your artwork. And it is a must if you are working professionally.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

*Mike*
632 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 29, 2007 15:55 |  #11

We have occassional shoots in NYC. In fact, you may have seen some of our Time Square Bridals... The city already requires a permit for commercial photography on public land - see here (external link)

I haven't had a chance to read this article yet, but I don't think it would have much of an impact on us...

Belle's Photography (external link)* Belle's Blog (external link) * Belle's MySpace (external link)

pos
436 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 29, 2007 16:13 |  #12

Boy am i glad i moved out of new york city. I can see getting a permit for shooting a film or some big company shooting pic's, but the way it is worded it could become a big problem. I quess you will have to wear roller blades so you can shoot on the move!!! pos

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,059 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 29, 2007 16:14 |  #13

Steve Parr wrote in post #3460750 (external link)
"New rules being considered by the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theater and Broadcasting would require any group of two or more people who want to use a camera in a single public location for more than a half hour to get a city permit and insurance."

When I'm out shooting, I'm not normally in the same place for more than 15 minutes, much less a half hour. I can't imagine too many people staying in one place for that long.

Anytime anyone proposes anything that might possibly affect any particular group, that particular group reacts, usually, with far more vigor and vitriol than necessary.

Honestly, I don't see it as a big deal...

You didn't read closely enough...if you were standing in line for a Broadway show with a camera over your shoulder (prior to entering, and checking the camera since they are restricted in theaters!), you just might be unable to use that camera. Or if you were sitting in a park watching a fireworks display with five of your friends, you just might be unable to use that camera.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JCR
dubiously affectionate
1,303 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 29, 2007 21:21 |  #14

It's to give the powers that be another way to detain someone anytime they want to.
Ambiguous laws are abundant nowadays including in UK, thats how paranoid governments like it.
In 100 yrs or less you will be detained for wearing blue shirts on a friday.

Flip side there are real dangers.... from long lenses, I mean someone could lose an eye ;)

There are 10 types of people that understand binary, those that can and those that can't.

lostdoggy
King Duffus
4,787 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jun 29, 2007 21:24 |  #15

Before long the mayor will require a fart permit just to fart.

sponsored links

2,935 views & 0 likes for this thread
A TAX ON PHOTOGRAPHERS IN NY!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.