Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 03 Jul 2007 (Tuesday) 12:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

asked to be a 2nd shooter for a wedding ..... how much would you charge?

Momarazzi
25 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2007 12:52 |  #1

Hi everyone.I'm usually lurking and learning......... but now I'm seeking your input!

I've been asked to be a 2nd shooter at a wedding.........

it's a 3 hour drive one way appprox and only needed for 4 hours .... ceremony and part of reception.......

and I have no idea what to charge to be a 2nd shooter for someone else... ........

input?

sponsored links
Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:00 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

I would say it depends totally on what your previous experience is, how much you want to do it/what your goal is and what terms the main photographer is letting you shoot under and what his currentl level is ..... could be anywhere between zero and $5,000 based on the above.

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

italianfemmy
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 03, 2007 13:11 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

If you have no experience in wedding photography, I would say not to charge anything, as there won't be any expectations.

Gear List - Rebel xTi; Kit Lens 18-55mm; Canon 75-300 mm f/5.6; 2 batteries; 8 GB of CF cards; Canon 430 EX flash, diffuser, lens hoods, couple Uv filters
17-55mm IS f/2.8 AND Canon 70-200L IS f/2.8

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:17 |  #4

If you are doing this to gain experience and maybe add to your portfolio I would say expect nothing more than maybe gas money and something to eat. I had one pro tell me he pays his second shooters around $50 for the day.

Greg

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

Momarazzi
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:19 as a reply to  @ italianfemmy's post |  #5

I assisted with Wedding Photography for 2 years and have been doing it on my own for 1 year,
I just know, not to charge what I would if I was doing it on my own......

Momarazzi
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:22 as a reply to  @ Momarazzi's post |  #6

$50 a day! Wow..... When I assisted I got paid $250!!!! But then again I'm sure the photographer I worked for spoiled me because whenI wanted to assist with another photographer he only offered me $50 a day too! I thought that was crazy........ but learned that I was just lucky! :lol:

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,541 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 03, 2007 13:24 |  #7

Momarazzi wrote in post #3480395 (external link)
Hi everyone.I'm usually lurking and learning......... but now I'm seeking your input!

I've been asked to be a 2nd shooter at a wedding.........

it's a 3 hour drive one way appprox and only needed for 4 hours .... ceremony and part of reception.......

and I have no idea what to charge to be a 2nd shooter for someone else... ........

input?

Do it for free or no more than expenses if you must. You learn by doing...and this is an opportunity to advance your skills and learn from the Pro.

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:30 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Momarazzi wrote in post #3480561 (external link)
I assisted with Wedding Photography for 2 years and have been doing it on my own for 1 year,

When you say you assisted for 2 years how many actual weddings did you shoot and the same for that 1 year you shot on your own, for some people that could mean less than 10 weddings but for others it could be more than 1 hundred.

Then based on the above you need to look at other things like how much the primary is charging and how much he wants you to shoot for him, how much you value your time, your expenses etc

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

Momarazzi
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:40 as a reply to  @ Banbert's post |  #9

In the 2 years assisting I did 1-3 weddings a month...and on my own so far I've done 11 . So I see what you're saying..... I guess i'll just throw a figure out there and see what she thinks and go from there.

Thanks for all your input as well!

;)

Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:44 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Based on that experience you should expect reasonable compensation for your time and expenses then, I think most other peoples advice given in this thread was on the assumption that you were very new to this business as thats what it sounded like at the start of the thread.

Momarazzi
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:51 |  #11

well the whole lurking and "learning thing...... it's because no matter how good you are , there's always room to learn something new! ;-)a So I apologize, that would be my fault for starting my thread out that way ! ;-)a

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:52 |  #12

Momarazzi wrote in post #3480561 (external link)

Yep, I assumed you were a beginner like myself. As for 50 bucks is all I can say is I know it is not much but given the opportunity I would do it for free just to get experience. If I found someone to pay me $250 to assist, my yard would never get mowed on Saturdays. ;)

Greg

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

Momarazzi
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 03, 2007 13:54 as a reply to  @ g-money's post |  #13

LOL Greg!

I assisted the $50 photographer a couple times...... he had some knowledge to share that I was greatful to receive! So in the end it was worth it too! ;)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 03, 2007 14:02 |  #14

I would go somewhere between $200 - $300. If you are going to spend your money on gas and use your equipment, I would think you need to be compensated.

Just my 2-cents

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

wonny
411 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 03, 2007 14:17 |  #15

I would personally ask for gas money and $200. You are investing a good chunk of your day, and while the lessons are great, I would want something tangible at the end of the day. Like a flash braket, an off shoe cord and more memory!

The worst he could say is no. Afterall, he did ask you, right?

I need all the help I can get.

sponsored links

3,772 views & 0 likes for this thread
asked to be a 2nd shooter for a wedding ..... how much would you charge?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.