Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 03 Jul 2007 (Tuesday) 15:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it in the "professionals rules" to have your speedlite's red web beams on?

capturedexpressions
181 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 03, 2007 15:21 |  #1

If so how do you turn them off? A DJ told us that Videographers complain about photographers having those on during receptions and such. I guess I need to find out how to turn it off and if turning it off hurts the ETTL or other communication from my speedlite to camera. Just thought I'd see if that was a little known understanding that I wasn't hip to yet????????? :lol:

capturedexpressions ;)
My Gear: 30D, 20D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4.5, 85mm f/1.8, 2 Canon 580X, Alien Bee 800, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS

sponsored links
Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 03, 2007 15:29 |  #2

Go into your custom functions, and set custom function 5 to 1. Your focus accuracy will go down though, just so you know. Those red beams are the focus assist beam.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 03, 2007 15:38 |  #3

I think the videographers can suck it up since they ruin so many shots or have to borrow tripods and other gear.

They just seem to be so disorganized compared to still guys.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 03, 2007 15:42 |  #4

I'll turn mine off when the videographers turn their annoying deer lights off... (i.e. it won't happen).

It's professional to be able to get the shots we need to satisfy the client. The cameras we use focus more quickly and accurately with the AF assist. I, for one, can't see myself going to a bride after a wedding and saying , "Sorry I missed that once-in-a-lifetime inverted triple lutz leading into an aerial kiss during your first dance because my camera couldn't focus...but at least your video dude got it!"

And the video lights that videographers use mess up my exposures. But you know what, I adapt and I deal. I change my exposure to compensate for his/her lights. That's part of being professional. All the videographer has to do is shoot a different angle than me and he won't see the red web I'm casting...that's the professional thing for him/her to do!

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but I hate it when another vendor who's not a photographer, tries to tell me what is professional. That would be like you telling the DJ that the florist told you the "fact" that he's not professional if he uses a laptop instead of a dual CD deck

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

capturedexpressions
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 03, 2007 15:47 as a reply to  @ jamiewexler's post |  #5

Okay, thanks guys! I wasn't sure how to approach it. I hate to annoy people but the client is paying for sharp work so what can you do? I've had shots where a videographers massive light casted huge shadows during important moments so they can deal with it I guess. I just didn't want to be breaking any photographer/videograp​her code. :rolleyes:

capturedexpressions ;)
My Gear: 30D, 20D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4.5, 85mm f/1.8, 2 Canon 580X, Alien Bee 800, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2007 15:50 |  #6

AF beam's staying on.

If there's a videographer I always ask which is more important to teh couple, photos or video, and act accordingly. Not one has said video's more important.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 03, 2007 15:52 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Ive only shot one wedding so far that had a professional videographer at it and we had a great time with them and they said they had a blast with us ... I can see how other videographers could be a pain though.

Best part of the day was the first dance where they used their little video lights and so we shot without flash and got come of our best first dance shots so far.

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 03, 2007 15:53 |  #8

The videographers just have to request that their suppliers puts to market software that can remove the red web. Photographers already have to spend a significant amount of money and time on software to get great results. Alas, software can't solve a missed shot...

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

capturedexpressions
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 03, 2007 16:08 |  #9

Banbert wrote in post #3481290 (external link)
Ive only shot one wedding so far that had a professional videographer at it and we had a great time with them and they said they had a blast with us ... I can see how other videographers could be a pain though.

Best part of the day was the first dance where they used their little video lights and so we shot without flash and got come of our best first dance shots so far.

You know, I've never thought about doing that??? Turning my flash off when they have their lights on. Can you send me one to view? I'd like to see how they are better. Thanks for the advise!

capturedexpressions ;)

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 03, 2007 16:15 |  #10

The big, orange glow that so many little point and shoots put out seem worse to me than the assist beams - and no one is control of the the P&S people anyhow.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 03, 2007 16:16 |  #11

capturedexpressions wrote in post #3481366 (external link)
You know, I've never thought about doing that??? Turning my flash off when they have their lights on. Can you send me one to view? I'd like to see how they are better. Thanks for the advise!

It works if the vid light is powerful enough, and the couple is dancing slowly enough... I finally gave up and did just that with the videographer at this wedding:

IMAGE: http://i.pbase.com/o4/30/516430/1/64371577.XcFZQqKB.KerryAustinP17.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.pbase.com/o4/30/516430/1/64371581.hrpjvPXb.KerryAustinP20.jpg

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 03, 2007 16:28 |  #12

A good vid. light is a great oppty. I recently worked with a great video guy who asked me where I wanted the light during the dances - I had on my 50mm @ 1600 iso and the dance shots are great because he kept the lights on for me.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 03, 2007 16:32 |  #13

The AF beam helps me not have to make refunds...... I don't like refunds.....

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 03, 2007 16:37 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

capturedexpressions wrote in post #3481366 (external link)

Well were certainly no experts and I deffo arent trying to give that impression and I am sure many people have had bad experiences with Videographers just like the one we have worked with so far was telling us he had bad experience with photographers, but our one experience so far was very good and we chatted a lot to them during the day and set up quite a few scenes together so we could both get what we wanted.

For the first dance they had two cameras and we just stayed near one each for most of the first dance underneath them but to get the benefit of their lights.

Sorry this ones a bit small but its copied from our blog, we got nice shadows from their lights though.

IMAGE: http://bp3.blogger.com/_8b3RNNBvGpQ/RnSMhUK0MCI/AAAAAAAAAS0/0JBpkd7hc4s/s400/BP001-16.jpg

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2007 17:03 |  #15

I wonder what the B&G/guests thought when they had two video camera guys and two photographers orbiting the B&G during their first dance.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

2,837 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it in the "professionals rules" to have your speedlite's red web beams on?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.