Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jul 2007 (Friday) 16:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ansel adams uses a GND?

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 07, 2007 00:57 |  #16

Tony-S wrote in post #3501013 (external link)
Don't forget the Zone System. He and his group f/64 really changed the science and art of photography. I was in a Half Price book store in Overland Park, KS a couple of weeks ago and they had The Camera, The Negative and The Print books for about $15 each, and they were in pretty good condition. If I didn't already own them, I would have bought the set.

Interesting! I was in Half-Price Books in Arlington, TX today and saw a set of the three books in mint condition and got the set of all three for $24. Apparently, the previous owner never even thumbed through the pages.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

sponsored links
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 07, 2007 01:07 |  #17

I think they are the best three books on B&W photography ever published. When I was using my 4x5 view camera way back when (a pre-WW1 Korona with a pre-WW2 210mm Schneider) I really got into those books, especially The Negative. Before that book, I had only thought of chemistry as a course I needed to graduate from high school.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 07, 2007 01:21 |  #18

Tony, the Korona is the camera that Ansel used for the Half dome image. Interesting

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 07, 2007 01:23 |  #19

neil_r wrote in post #3499414 (external link)
That wins the understatement of the year award for 2007. The man was a darkroom genius.

He was photoshop before photoshop

siejones
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 07, 2007 02:28 |  #20

airfrogusmc wrote in post #3499402 (external link)
You can bet he burned in the upper left corner a bit. The print has detail in most of the snow too. He probably put the sky at zone 4 also.

That was my fist thought but why make it so obvious? The darkened line that covers the sky is not only incomplete on the lower half of the sky, it overlaps quite noticebly on to the rock as well and it's a diagnal line. I am no expect but they could be more accurate and specific with thier burning couldn't they? He spents days in the darkroom perfecting his prints why make it so obvious unless of coarse thats what he meant it too look like but I can't see what it would add to the picture.

Technical perfection is only ever important if it improves the asthetic. It is not the precursor to beauty. Not in art..not in music and not in photography!

My Flickr account link (external link)

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 07, 2007 02:33 |  #21

The image that is shown by the OP is not a very good copy. I had a chance to study an original at an art museum, it was flawless.

siejones
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 07, 2007 02:48 |  #22

T.Hogan wrote in post #3501325 (external link)
The image that is shown by the OP is not a very good copy. I had a chance to study an original at an art museum, it was flawless.

Yeah prolly true. It was the best I could find on the net. They don't provide good and big copies on the net for some reason ;)

Still I don't think even the compression and size could add dark areas.

Technical perfection is only ever important if it improves the asthetic. It is not the precursor to beauty. Not in art..not in music and not in photography!

My Flickr account link (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 07, 2007 08:51 |  #23

T.Hogan wrote in post #3501124 (external link)
Tony, the Korona is the camera that Ansel used for the Half dome image. Interesting

Hmm. I didn't know that. I'm sure I didn't use mine as well as he used his. :) I still have that camera and all the gear to process sheet film, but no 4x5 enlarger.

My understanding of Korona was that there were bought by some company called "Eastman" around 1917 or so.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 07, 2007 13:34 |  #24

Tony-S wrote in post #3502165 (external link)
Hmm. I didn't know that. I'm sure I didn't use mine as well as he used his. :) I still have that camera and all the gear to process sheet film, but no 4x5 enlarger.

My understanding of Korona was that there were bought by some company called "Eastman" around 1917 or so.

Eastman? Did that company ever do anything else with photography? Or film maybe, you know before the advent of digital. Name sounds familiar.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 07, 2007 13:56 |  #25

Yes, Eastman Kodak. Just checking to see who knew. :) I take it you did?

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 07, 2007 14:27 |  #26

Oh yea.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jul 08, 2007 02:49 |  #27

Tony-S wrote in post #3502165 (external link)

Didn't she marry Paul McCartney ;)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jul 08, 2007 14:53 as a reply to  @ neil_r's post |  #28

This image is the first one described in Ansel Adams' book Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs. The original negative was made in 1927, long before graduated ND filters. Adams used the Wratten No. 29 filter on the 61/2X81/2 Korona View camera.

This book, along with Adam's autobiography and the three books in the Ansel Adams' Photography Series (The Camera, The Negative and The Print) give an insightful look into Ansel Adams' career and his photographic philosophy. Great reading for anyone interested in photography. My favorite quote from the book I think resolves the on-going argument of whether Adams would have embraced digital photography and Photoshop:

"I am sure the next step will be the electronic image, and I hope I shall live to see it. I trust that the creative eye will continue to function, whatever technological innovations may develop.'

This was written in 1983 and unfortunately Adams passed away in 1984 at the age of 82.

John

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,453 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined May 2007

Jul 08, 2007 15:05 as a reply to  @ post 3501013 |  #29

When I used to shoot tons of B&W film I used a red filter often for it brought out the clouds from the sky much better.

Ansel Adams mentioned in one of his books I read that he likened a negative as a musical score and the final image produced from the negative as the conductor's interpretation of that score. You can burn and dodge all you want to get different effects in your print but you are still beginning with a master negative.

Adam's relative comparison of photography to music is not to be taken lightly as he was also an exceptional pianist.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

RedHot
992 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 09, 2007 11:25 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

neil_r wrote in post #3499414 (external link)
That wins the understatement of the year award for 2007. The man was a darkroom genius.

I heard he used lightening and darkening "paddles" to affect the print exposure for different areas. And he had written down instructions on where to use which paddles for each print.

sponsored links

10,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ansel adams uses a GND?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.