Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jul 2007 (Thursday) 23:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

30D Withdrawal :(

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 12, 2007 23:03 |  #1

My XT had been shuffling around Canon for a month (night of the living front-focusing issue). In the meantime, I was lucky enough to be have been able to borrow a 30D as well as burn off a few aging rolls of Fuji Reala (to make more room in the frig for Stella). Took a little getting used to the 30D's controls but I quickly found them a nice addition. Today, I finally got my XT back all tuned up and ready for some hot flora/fauna action. Wow, I this is a much bigger adjustment than I ever imagined. My hands suddenly feel way too HUGE and I had to immediately screw the battery grip on. The LCD looks so very tiny now. How did I ever use this small LCD? And I keep trying to turn the non-existent back dial and navigate with the non-existent joystick. Damn 30D has completely ruined me. Argh!

sponsored links
denMAR
362 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 12, 2007 23:12 |  #2

You spoiled yourself! I moved from the XT to the 30D myself. It was worth the investment.

denMAR

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Jul 13, 2007 00:29 |  #3

Yep, I'm next in line. Just ordered a 30d for 16/08. Think it's a good step up from the XT (which of course I'll keep for second body) :)

Borderfox
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 13, 2007 00:38 as a reply to  @ Lenty007's post |  #4

I got a 30d last week and even moving up from the 20d the changes are very welcome.

Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

Shadowplay
447 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 13, 2007 00:49 |  #5

Start here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=340944

End Here:

https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?do=newt​hread&f=14

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 13, 2007 00:56 |  #6

yea it sucks when you have to slum it, :)

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

kato1
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 13, 2007 03:15 |  #7

You know you want one, you know you need one. LOL

EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EOS 10D + BG-ED3,
50mm f1.4, 17-40 L f4, 70-200 L f/2.8 IS,
580EX II, 550EX, 420EX,
Manfrotto 055XPro tripod/808RC4 head.
Sekonic L-308s

sandro9mm
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 13, 2007 03:21 |  #8

I sold my 17-85 yesterday, and the girl who bought it had 350D - I asked her to let me hold it, it so tiny... picolino :) and LCD is hardly visible... no xt -> 30D definite upgrade.

Photography Tips (external link) - Learn photography now!
Famous photographers (external link) - Video Interviews, photos, biography
My gear (external link)

PMN
116 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 13, 2007 03:53 |  #9

I made the step to a 30D from the 350D around last November, simply because I travel a hell of a lot and was a little worried whether the 350D would cope with the hammering I was giving it. It was definately worth it. The 30D feels so much more solid and 'roadworthy'. I also love the fact that every control I want to use in day to day shooting sits right there under my fingers, and simple things like being able to make 1/3EV adjustments to ISO and see the change in the viewfinder are very welcome. I still love my 350D though and I can't imagine I'll ever sell that little beauty. The only thing is it now when I'm not doing anything serious and need it as a backup, it spends most of its time on loan to other people!

Paul

Canon 30D, Canon 350D, Canon EOS 10, EF 70-200L f4, Sigma 50-500 DG, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-300 XR Di
My shots on Jetphotos.net (external link)
My shots on Airliners.net (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/paulnichols/ (external link)

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 13, 2007 10:48 |  #10

These threads kill me. I had a 20D which met a violent death...don't ask, I'm still morning. I decided to try out a 400D so I could see if the 10mp, sensor cleaning, etc. was something I would be interested in. While it is a very capable camera, I miss the ergonomics of the xxD line. The 400D still feels like a toy in my hands. I'm trying to be strong and hold out for the 30D replacement, but posts like this really make it hard.

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!!! :D

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

JackProton
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jul 13, 2007 14:18 |  #11

That was pure unadulterated evil. :lol:

Tee Why wrote in post #3536186 (external link)
yea it sucks when you have to slum it, :)

I have to give the 30D back. I.. have... to... Don't I? No. Yes. Must... be... strong...

pgiancola wrote in post #3538111 (external link)
These threads kill me. I had a 20D which met a violent death...don't ask, I'm still morning. I decided to try out a 400D so I could see if the 10mp, sensor cleaning, etc. was something I would be interested in. While it is a very capable camera, I miss the ergonomics of the xxD line. The 400D still feels like a toy in my hands. I'm trying to be strong and hold out for the 30D replacement, but posts like this really make it hard.

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME!!!! :D

Hi. My name is JackProton and I'm a 30D addict. My last click was two days ago. How long has it been for you, pal?

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 13, 2007 20:32 |  #12

Got mine a few days ago. I upgraded from an S400 elph so it was like a giant leap for me. It is a truly awesome camera and reasonably priced compared to 5D and up. I dont make a living from it so I feel this is the best I could justify and not feel the "I could have had a V8" moment of remorse later on down the road or lose sleep because I put the house on second mortgage to get a bloody camera. LOL I got the body new and everything else used. I figure the one piece I didnt want to risk someone elses abuse was the body and the used prices are too close to the price of new that it just made sense to get a full warranty and peace of mind from a new body. Its easier to replace an accessory than the body for sure.

I really enjoy this 30D!

Matt ­ S
197 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 13, 2007 21:48 |  #13

got mine about 2 weeks ago, upgraded from a 300D, love everything about it, feels great to hold. My 300D now spends most of it's time in my sisters hand as a bit of an introduction to photography, she's keen to.

Matt

7D | 30D | Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 EX | EF 50 1.8 II | Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS USM | Canon 70-200 L F2.8 IS II] | Canon EF 100-400 IS USM L | 420EX
flickr (external link)

Onwuma
202 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 03, 2007 02:17 |  #14

You think the jump from the XT to the 30D is amazing, try from the Original Drebel to the 30D. The Drebel is an ungodly slow, chunky thing with a tiny view port of an LCD compared to the 30D!!!!

Flickr (external link)

Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 03, 2007 02:20 |  #15

Onwuma wrote in post #4243121 (external link)
You think the jump from the XT to the 30D is amazing, try from the Original Drebel to the 30D. The Drebel is an ungodly slow, chunky thing with a tiny view port of an LCD compared to the 30D!!!!

Agreed! I came from the DRebel (300D) to the 30D and the difference was just amazing!

Search.TechIslands.com (external link) - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.com (external link) - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

sponsored links

2,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
30D Withdrawal :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.