Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Jul 2007 (Saturday) 19:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

first image from my Mamiya 645AFD...

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 14, 2007 19:03 |  #1

Ok, first let me start by saying that this photo needs no critique. I already know that by the standards of this forum, this is seriously lacking image quality. BUT, you have to keep in mind that this was taken with Polaroid 690 film using the polaroid back. Anyone who's ever shot one will tell you that it's not known for razor sharp detailed filled images.

The intention of the polaroid backs was so the pros could get an idea of composition and exposure levels before firing away with the real film... and that's it. It's not intended for great overall image quality. That said, I think that given the fact that this is a polaroid scan, which came from an image that is physically 6cm x 4.5cm which is of course the size of the actual negative, you have to admit the 3 dimensional properties of this image are pretty cool. I've sent my first three rolls of 120 film out for processing and those will yeild much better results. But at least now I know that my polaroid back, camera, and lens are all working perfectly.

BTW: Since I know this is a Canon digital forum, I'll also offer this... My 5D arrives on Monday, and I'll be running it through the initial battery of "is it working correctly in every way" tests. I'll post pics as soon as I can. :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

sponsored links
howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 14, 2007 19:08 |  #2

if u wanna see some 3-D shots, try shoot some slide film on your mamiya!

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

JMHPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 14, 2007 19:19 |  #3

howzitboy wrote in post #3545207 (external link)
if u wanna see some 3-D shots, try shoot some slide film on your mamiya!

I picked up 6 rolls today.. ;)

2 rolls of E100vs
2 rolls of Astia 100F
2 rolls of 64T (I'm gonna use it in studio with hot lights.)

~John

(aka forkball)

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 14, 2007 19:48 |  #4

If you get a chance, order from B&H, a roll of Kodak EPP. You will be amazed at the colors, esp. people. A little pricey @ 10.+ for a roll, but well worth it.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

JaertX
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 14, 2007 19:54 |  #5

Looks nice to me. I love shooting 120...(and I only have a Holga!!!) There's a quality to that negative that just can't be duplicated.

Jason - I use Canon and stuff

JMHPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 14, 2007 21:13 |  #6

JaertX wrote in post #3545430 (external link)
Looks nice to me. I love shooting 120...(and I only have a Holga!!!) There's a quality to that negative that just can't be duplicated.

Dude... I was gonna get a Holga. I still might. You're right about the negatives that it produces. There is just something about it that is just so damn appealing to me. I've even used a "look of lomo" action on some photos... Fun stuff.

~John

(aka forkball)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 15, 2007 01:46 as a reply to  @ JMHPhotography's post |  #7

I still love my medium format gear and I do have a polaroid back for my Mamiya RB67 ProS. It is real handy for checking what you said, exposure and composure. On quick turn around jobs I would sometimes use a polaroid film that gave you a B&W negative and then print directly off of that. You could get some reasonably good shots with it.

Have fun.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

jcw122
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 20, 2007 00:47 |  #8

Wow that is an interesting effect...

"Ill show you."-John Hammond
Gear List
:D "YES! I AM INVINSIBLE!"-Boris

blackviolet
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jul 20, 2007 02:29 |  #9

i shoot a few rolls of 120 a week on a variety of different bodies. i've really been using my bronica etr (645) a lot lately, but also love 6x6 and 6x7. i love velvia rvp & kodak 64t (great outdoors for an interesting effect or cross processed) for reversal, and fuji reala (now that kodak ultracolour is discontinued) and porta as negative film stock.

great picture, John. enjoy medium format and the joy of film :)

--
oblio
1dmkiii - 5dmkii -Leica M8/M6 - Mamiya 645AFDiii/zd
ModelMayhem (external link) | my (external link)flick (external link)r gallery (external link)

sponsored links

1,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
first image from my Mamiya 645AFD...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.