Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 17 Jul 2007 (Tuesday) 19:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Engagement packages added to Wedding packages

bcap
MR. PP
7,364 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 17, 2007 22:59 |  #16

Kathy,

When you think about the big picture - a print for ONE 8 x 10 isn't a big deal. If you are charging $1500 for the wedding, even the BEST photo lab doesn't charge over $3.00 for an 8 x 10 (at least to the best of my knowledge). A small investment and I think it would make a huge difference.

Bryan
Bryan Caporicci's Personal Blog (external link)
Niagara Falls, Ontario Wedding and Portrait Photographer - Bryan Caporicci Photography (external link)

sponsored links
sierra_nova
354 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 18, 2007 01:03 |  #17

We have an engagement sitting included in both of our big packages - both of these packages also include a guest book with these images. We will often throw an engagement sitting in to smaller packages for free - but only in-studio sessions. Location shots are a small extra charge - normally $100, if they are booking a wedding we halve it. On the other hand - if it is the thing that clinches the deal, I'll throw it in. I find that customers who want an enagement sitting - even if they want it for free initially - are the same people who will spend money on the photo's once they have seen them. All our sittings also come with a free 8x10.

Cheers!
Naomi

LeesaB
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 18, 2007 07:09 |  #18

Ok, so I do have some things to think about...

Great discussion...also

LeesaB
www.LisaNikole.com (external link)
ME (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 18, 2007 07:16 |  #19

For anything outside of weddings I charge me "get out of bed price". I think "is it worth getting out of bed for $x profit". Remember what people pay you has to have taxes taken off, expenses, etc.

bcap wrote in post #3564178 (external link)
When you think about the big picture - a print for ONE 8 x 10 isn't a big deal. If you are charging $1500 for the wedding, even the BEST photo lab doesn't charge over $3.00 for an 8 x 10 (at least to the best of my knowledge). A small investment and I think it would make a huge difference.

You have to get past the print cost price. You're not charging for the paper or ink, you're charging for the years of time and effort you've invested in your art. Sure I can buy an 8x10" print for $3 or so, but the experience to make that print took me five years of my life and I sacrificed potential earnings of $200K/year. What's that 8x10" really worth?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bcap
MR. PP
7,364 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 18, 2007 08:23 |  #20

Tim, thanks fort he feedback, but I wasn't talking about the print cost being what you are charging for. My reply was one towards Kathy H, as she was talking directly to me when she said her main issue was the fact that she would want to get it printed at a good lab nad her issues with not having it printed at a good lab. I was just stating that the price of getting it printed at a good lab is minimal.

Bryan
Bryan Caporicci's Personal Blog (external link)
Niagara Falls, Ontario Wedding and Portrait Photographer - Bryan Caporicci Photography (external link)

MrsOpie
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 18, 2007 11:26 as a reply to  @ post 3564145 |  #21

I charge $100 for an engagement session that lasts about 1.5 hours. Then I give them an online gallery with about 50 color and black and white proofs. Its very common for the couple to include an engagement picture with their wedding invitation. Maybe its a Utah thing.

-OpieFoto
Salt Lake City Utah Wedding Photographer (external link)

Modern, Bold, Raw Emotion

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,482 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 18, 2007 11:40 |  #22

Out of all the wedding invitations I've gotten over the last several years, none had a picture. I do understand that it's the "norm", though. I guess just not around here? :confused:

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

tim1960
688 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 18, 2007 12:00 |  #23

No charge for the engagement session if I'm doing the wedding. It's included in the price. They just pay for the picture(s) they want.

T. Gray:)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 18, 2007 12:18 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Ronald S. Jr. wrote in post #3567001 (external link)
Out of all the wedding invitations I've gotten over the last several years, none had a picture. I do understand that it's the "norm", though. I guess just not around here? :confused:

The couple I booked for Oct. 13th asked about photo invitations, so it would appear it's gaining popularity in this area as well.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

colleent
201 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 18, 2007 14:28 |  #25

I see the engagement session as a way to work with the couple and practice with them so you know what to expect on the wedding day. It can help you on the wedding day if you've already worked with the couple and you know each other better and they will be more comfortable with you.

If you want to charge for it maybe just up the price of the package a bit and they they will think it's included even though they are paying for it. For some reason people see the cost as higher if each item has a price. Or they feel nickel and dimed over each little thing. It's a perception thing.

---------------
My gear -- 30D, 300D, 24-105 f/4 IS L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 18-55 EF-S f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8 II, 85 f/1.8 420EX, 580 EX (I've been shopping :)

Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 18, 2007 14:32 as a reply to  @ liza's post |  #26

Around here it seems like most everyone is including photos in invites and Thank Yous. A lot of mine even ask in advance about the Thank You photos that have the "thank you" sign or letters in their photos while they are still in their wedding dress and tux.

Kathy

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 18, 2007 16:58 |  #27

Hey Lisa, here is a thought....

Increase your packages by the amount of the engagement session and then offer it as included at no additonal charge with the package. If the client chooses not to have an engagement session then subtract out a protion of the increase or offer extra prints in exchange. That way you don't have to discuss additional fees for something most couple want.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Jmm7
72 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 19, 2007 00:32 |  #28

Ok, I am getting into the business, as some of you know.

What about if the engagement is on the weekend, is not suppose you should save those dates for weddings?

How do you handle this?

sierra_nova
354 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 19, 2007 00:43 |  #29

Jmm7 wrote in post #3571382 (external link)
Ok, I am getting into the business, as some of you know.

What about if the engagement is on the weekend, is not suppose you should save those dates for weddings?

How do you handle this?

Weddings are normally booked quite far in advance, the engagement session a few weeks in advance if that. Just work your engagements into weekends you don't have weddings.

Cheers!
Naomi

Jmm7
72 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 19, 2007 01:31 |  #30

thanks Sierra-nova

sponsored links

3,343 views & 0 likes for this thread
Engagement packages added to Wedding packages
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.