Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 17 Apr 2006 (Monday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Tips ? ~Event photography business

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004

May 15, 2006 18:00 as a reply to  @ post 1504001 |  #16

In six months or so I'll give you $.50 on the dollar for your camera gear.

Best of luck anyway.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

sponsored links
dpurslow
THREAD ­ STARTER
783 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 01, 2006 07:40 as a reply to  @ Jon, The Elder's post |  #17

setiprime wrote:

Best of luck anyway.

Nice offer, thanks I may well take you up on that if I keep using it at the rate I am currently shooting !!!!!!

Sorry not posted for a while, been shooting event after event.

What I have found out so far is that good photography and nice photoshop skills = lots and lots of lovley ££££££££££

My best seller todate has been golf events, on average over 200 photos per event sold, several bookings taken for other events etc.

The attached image is a template I created in Photoshop. With 2 mouse clicks and typing a name, the cover is created. I sell these for £14.00 for a A4 print and sell lots and lots.

I am going to create another couple for "The Perfect Putter" and "Dig out the Sand Wedge"

This one is called Max out your Driver !!!!

Enjoy.

P.S There is a little extra space top and bottom as borderless printing takes off a few mm's

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Regards,
David Purslow
07799 666808
/EMAIL] (external link)Birmingham Wedding Photographer (external link)

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 22, 2006 10:54 as a reply to  @ dpurslow's post |  #18

Great topic! I have been taking pictures for the last two years at every BBQ, picnic, and outdoor event in my neighborhood.

1- my inkjet printers are slow but the people waited or came back to me within 5 to 8 minutes. I used the Epson printer and it has great resolution...

2- i had my laptop setup and everyone would crowd around as if they never seen a laptop (we are in the 21th century? right??).

3- picture frames were available 8x10, 5x7, and 4x6... Also, i had pre-design frames from www.qlt.com (external link).

4- i would take pictures of 3 set of people, show them the results on the computer, have them choose their best ones, and click print on the computer. As it starts printing, I would already have the cf cards back in my canon ready for the next 3 people.`:lol:

My new goals....
I want to purchase the Kodak or Schinko printer -- its fast and expensive...
I will get one person to handle the viewing and printing (unless I setup viewing stations)
As for green screen and extra lighting, I would need to read more on this and practice....

It's true that reality will set in and the lines could get very long.... I wish I had another photographer and the fast printers. However, like i said before everyone stayed and waited for their picture (i guess they never seen themselves on paper??).

What I noticed that I made extra ($$$$ hundreds) money on reorders and magazine templated photos (8x10). Everyone wanted one for their mother or for their father. I sold the 8x10 for $15 with frame. I sold the magaine template photos for $10. I must have sold 100s of these in one day... it was unbelieveable....:lol:

Good luck and God bless!!

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

Julio
170 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 22, 2006 23:14 |  #19

Jon, The Elder wrote in post #1512982 (external link)

Best of luck anyway.

That's having a positive outlook. Sounds to me like the OP is really thinking about this and has most of it well figured out. Good for you, OP!!

Julio
www.photosbyjulio.com (external link)

NickSim87
Sir Chimp-a-lot
3,602 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 23, 2006 20:42 |  #20

Agreed Julio.

Gear List | Feedback

Tundrasport
275 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 20, 2007 10:12 as a reply to  @ NickSim87's post |  #21

David

Just wondering if we can get an update. How is it going? What has been working? What has not been working? Hope your printers have been working overtime!

I Shoot...Therefore I Chimp
30D, 20D 18-55 kit,100-400L IS USM, EFS 17-85 IS USM, EFS 10-22, nifty 50, 75-300IS USM
http://www.photoraton.​com (external link)

dpurslow
THREAD ­ STARTER
783 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 20, 2007 12:04 |  #22

Hi there,

Well its been an interesting year. Networking is the key.

Last year I did about 35 events, I did not turn anything down, wanted to test everything.

This year I am looking at about 15 events but the events have been selected by me really and they are all events that work and work well.

Printers. For almost the whole year I used Canon IP6600 D printers, they worked well but were slower than I would have liked, used lots of ink. NO customer ever complained about inkjet prints. I also use Epson R1800 to print contact sheets.

This year I have brought FUJI ASK 2000 Printers - These are fantastic - I tried the Mitsubushi dye sub and found it fairly slow. The Fuji rocks really rocks.

I used to offer the following sizes - 4x6 @ £5.00 5x7 @ £7.00 A4 @ £10.00 and a3 at £15.00 I sold about 70% 5x7's lots of a4's a few a3's and not many 4x6's

I now offer 5x7 and A4 on the day, everything else is special order on the day but posted out later.

Keyrings are HUGE sellers, Fridge magnets are NOT. I sold keyrings by the boat load for £5.00 each.

I now have event staff to help me. I find I take 90 % on the day and 10 % via the website.

any more questions please ask, I am here to help.

Regards,
David Purslow
07799 666808

TheCrow
41 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 22, 2007 11:05 |  #23

Sounds like you have some good plans and i hope it works out for you.

I used to work for www.picman.co.uk (external link) who do exactly what you have just described. We mainly did motorsports such as track days.

One problem we had was searching through the images to find the customers car,etc.

While scrolling through images on screen with the customer trying to help us identify their vehicle we had massive cues of people waiting. Some would get fed up and leave which in turn costed us money.

In the end we ended up with a network of 5 pcs. Four with staff showing customers the shots of their vehicle and then one processing all the printing of the images. This worked well but still we would have massive cues as the main problem was the speed in which we could serve the customers.

We also had a massive cue for prints themselves. With each print taking a couple of minutes we would often end up with a print cue of 100+ pics and this would take forever. A few times I would stay up 24hrs a day just getting prints ready.

Hope this is of some help. Any questions please ask away!

http://www.ultimate-exposure.co.uk (external link)

Gary_Evans
859 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 22, 2007 12:58 |  #24

TheCrow wrote in post #3590745 (external link)
.......a print cue of 100+ pics and this would take forever. A few times I would stay up 24hrs a day just getting prints ready.

??

100 prints will take less than an hour to produce

btw, its queue :lol:

Gary
www.myeventphoto.co.uk (external link)
www.garyevansphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)

goforphoto
Goldmember
2,067 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 22, 2007 13:19 |  #25

I really hate to burst your bubble but event photography isn't the money maker you think it is. It is a ton of work with limited return. Most of the time you barely cover expenses but there are times depending on the event you will make a nice profit but those times are rare. Why do it you ask? It keeps you and your name in the public eye and you will pick up jobs that way, but doing as a soul source of business is at best a crap shoot.

Just another shutterbug.
I am not a photographer, I'm an image capture technician.
Canon 40D - 70-200L f4, 28-135 IS, Nifty Fifty, 70-300 macro, 18-55 420EX Sunpak 266d

dpurslow
THREAD ­ STARTER
783 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 22, 2007 14:45 |  #26

goforphoto wrote in post #3591240 (external link)
I really hate to burst your bubble but event photography isn't the money maker you think it is. It is a ton of work with limited return. Most of the time you barely cover expenses but there are times depending on the event you will make a nice profit but those times are rare. Why do it you ask? It keeps you and your name in the public eye and you will pick up jobs that way, but doing as a soul source of business is at best a crap shoot.

I hate to disagree however as I stated last year I did anything and everything, this year I am a lot more selective. If you know your market place and choose the right events then it can be very good. I have 5 events that between them I make around $14,000 and they are all 1 day events.

I agree totally about what you say about keeping yourself in the public eye, I have picked up many weddings from events and also a couple of commercical bookings as well.

*** PRINTER SPEED ***

My new printer would kick out a Q of 100 prints in a little under 70 minutes (5x7) touch dry :-)

Regards,
David Purslow
07799 666808

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,155 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Jul 22, 2007 17:50 |  #27

did my first event this year, today - a Taekwon-Do Competition..

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

i sold a grand total of...... 1 9x6! had alot of people milling around the 3 Vue Stations, but they all asked for business cards and if the images would be available on website, just have to see if anything comes from aftersales...

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

sponsored links

6,711 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any Tips ? ~Event photography business
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.