Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Jul 2007 (Saturday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help on buying a new lens for 350d

hinders
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 21, 2007 10:31 |  #1

hi i dont no very much about photography i own a canon eos 350d with a standard 18-55mm lens, to be honest i have not been mega impressed with the photos i have been taking.

i use the camera for taking self portrait shots of myself holding large fish, most of the time i have someone to take the shots of me and sometimes i use the timer but i have to press the timer then run and pick up the fish before the shutter goes. im looking into getting a remote for this.

really i just wanted a lens that will take noticeably sharper / clearer photos, im no expert with the camera and use the green square settting on the wheel for 95% of shots.

im not looking to spend a fortune ethier but i do value quality over price.

thanks for any advice

sponsored links
etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 21, 2007 10:38 |  #2

can you give us a clue on budget - I suspect its how you are using the kit, and the settings, as you should be able to get reasonable results with the kit lens

can you post an example

is the camera on a tripod when you use it?

60D | EF-S 18-200 | 50mm 2.5 macro | 550EX | Pro1 | Elements

hinders
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 21, 2007 10:50 |  #3

etaf wrote in post #3586060 (external link)
can you give us a clue on budget - I suspect its how you are using the kit, and the settings, as you should be able to get reasonable results with the kit lens

can you post an example

is the camera on a tripod when you use it?

i dont tend to use a tripod unless im doing self takes but i have to focus the camera without me in the shot then get in postion, this makes it out of focus by the time the timer fires. a remote should help this but i had one before and it was very hard to hold up a fish with remote still in hand and it became unreliable due to getting wet!

budget would be about £150 or abit more for the right lens if need be.

tryed to post a photo but need to publish it to a web adress to put it on here.

etaf
Goldmember
1,221 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 21, 2007 11:04 |  #4

use an aperture of F8 on a wideish angle 24mm should be good - manual focus and make sure the shutter speed is going to be high enough to stop any blur from you moving - i woukld suspect 1/60th would be OK - you may need to increase the ISO (which will introduce a bit of noise)

the images should have exif info and you can see the aperture,focal length and speed used for each image. I would review these,

Go out and just take some ordinary images on a good bright day - and use F8 and make sure with that lens you have a speed of 1/125th or greater hand held and see what sort of results you get.

I dont think for £150 your going to get a much better lens

you may want to look at the 28-105mm lens - I use this - it used to be a kit lens on the old Film SLR's EOS5 in the late 90's
But it wont give you wide angle - like the 18mm

or a very good lens would be the 50mm 1.8 - great quality - but again you only have one focal length - but its amazing just what you can get by moving around - I only had a 50mm for many years when this was the standard lens on a film camera
however, with the 1.6 crop factor that again will be quite long...

on your 18-55 set it to the 50mm end and thats the view with the 50mm - also set for about 28mm and that will show you the widest on the 28-105

60D | EF-S 18-200 | 50mm 2.5 macro | 550EX | Pro1 | Elements

parrisw
52 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 21, 2007 18:37 as a reply to  @ etaf's post |  #5

My advice is learn to use what you got first, before going out and spending more money, cause you may just end up disapointed. It seems that you may not be using this properly. I have the Same camera and lens, I have other lens's too. But I can get very good images from the "Kit" lens. If you could post some images with the exif data, maybe we could help you more.

lowcrust
948 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 21, 2007 18:56 as a reply to  @ parrisw's post |  #6

Can't go wrong with the 50 f/1.8 though. It's only $75 (under forty quid!!!) and it's amazing for portraits. Very sharp and amazingly fast for that price. Let your needs build from there.

~ BORN FREE - TAXED TO DEATH! ~

Costa ­ Del ­ Canon
295 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 21, 2007 19:18 |  #7

I have this lens, granted I rarely use it, but if the light is metered correctly etc, it's capable of taking decent shots. Before you spend on a lens I would experiment with camera settings. I try to leave mine in auto when I switch off, in case I need a quick grab shot, when I next pick it up. But I shoot in manual a lot and get much better results in certain situations. The flash popping up when it really isn't needed drives me mad in "Auto", I'm no expert, but learn more about light metering etc and really learn your camera settings before you get your wallet out. ( I mean that in a friendly way)

Silence is Golden.....Duck Tape is Silver!

liquefied
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 21, 2007 19:34 |  #8

Learning how to use your camera better will improve your photos many times more than an expensive lens will.

StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 23, 2007 05:39 |  #9

hinders wrote in post #3586120 (external link)
i dont tend to use a tripod unless im doing self takes but i have to focus the camera without me in the shot then get in postion, this makes it out of focus by the time the timer fires.

If you are shooting a self portrait you must not use autofocus. When you use the self-timer, the camera focuses when you press the button, not when it takes the photo. You have to use manual focus.

hinders wrote in post #3586120 (external link)
tryed to post a photo but need to publish it to a web adress to put it on here.

No, you don't need to. As long as you re-size the photo to be no larger than 800 pixels on each side, and no more than 100 kilobytes, you can attach it to your post. Click here to find out how to do it.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

350d
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 23, 2007 06:40 |  #10

Hi hinders!
I found this useful:
http://fc03.deviantart​.com …2005/083/2/8/tu​torial.jpg (external link)

After one look at this planet any visitor from
outer space would say "I want to see the manager."
William S. Burroughs

mcmadkat
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 23, 2007 07:33 |  #11

Sounds like you are using the sef timer, but focussing on the backgorund, not yourself, you will have to use manual focus and trial and error.

30D 17-40L 580EXII
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=386249

B3SEO
783 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 23, 2007 12:21 |  #12

mcmadkat wrote in post #3595188 (external link)
Sounds like you are using the sef timer, but focussing on the backgorund, not yourself, you will have to use manual focus and trial and error.

This was my thought, when I read the OP. Focusing on the background would absolutely put you out of focus when you stand in FRONT of the background, especially if you are shooting wide open.

Step back please... I'm armed with a camera...

Mayavi
46 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 23, 2007 12:27 |  #13

How about buying a remote? RC1 is it? If you are only looking to improve focus in self-shots, remote is a much cheaper solution than buying a new lens. You can compose a shot, get into the frame and then press the shutter release button which will focus the camera before taking a picture.

Canon 350D
Canon 18-55 mm f/3.5 - 5.6
Canon 50 mm f/1.8 II
Sigma 70-300 mm f/4 - 5.6 DG APO Macro

sponsored links

1,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
help on buying a new lens for 350d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.