Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Jul 2007 (Friday) 16:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have a stiff ball??

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 21, 2007 14:55 |  #16

adamlc wrote in post #3586982 (external link)
Why do these manufacturers claim "maintenance free" when it clearly isn't??? I know that if I don't do something it will only get worse.

I will use a cloth for now until I figure something else.

I agree about the "maintenance free" portion of the manufacturer's writeup, but I do pay attention to the part about not applying lubricant to the ball.

Just wipe the ball clean from time to time, and you'll get great performance out of it.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
kwbarnes
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 21, 2007 20:06 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #17

Assuming that you can rebuild simple mechanical devices, without step by step instructions, here is what you need to clean your 488. You do NOT have to remove the quick release head assembly to clean your 488 ballhead, you can do a good job using "cotton swabs". You will have to disassemble the rest of the ballhead however, so first thing to do is remove the ballhead from your tripod.

You will need the following tools to disassemble the ballhead - 2mm "Allen" wrench, medium or large flat head screwdriver (#2 I think), large circlip pliers that close when you squeeze them (I actually used a pair of needle nose pliers instead).

Remove the "Pan Lock" screw. Insert the long end of the 2mm Allen wrench in the hole you removed the Pan Lock screw from. Rotate the panning base until you locate a hole with the allen screw, at the bottom of this hole is a 2mm set screw, loosen this set screw 3 or 4 turns, it is not necessary to remove it.

At the bottom of the ballhead assembly there is a hole used to mount the ballhead to the tripod. Insert the flat head screwdriver into this hole, and turn the captive screw clockwise to remove the panning base from the ball head assembly. Remove the circlip, and then lift out the captive screw, plate and washer. Just grab the screw and all of these parts willl come out at once.

Look carefully at the next parts, see how the "Ball Lock" screw aligns with the slot in the next parts? You will need to remember this when reassembling the unit, take a photo just in case you forget. Remove the "Ball Lock" screw.

While holding the ball head assembly in your hand, remove the circlip and set it aside. Now insert a finger or two into the ball head assembly and press down (push the stack of parts against the ball so they won't fall out as you turn the ball head assembly right side up). Carefully lower the stack of parts out from the bottom of the ballhead assembly. The top part should be a rubber "O" ring that fits in the top of the cap assembly you just removed. The "O" ring and the top of the cap assembly should be clean and dry. If they aren't clean them. You can also clean the ball, and the housing at this time using cotton swabs. Some internal parts of the 488 are greased, these are the roller pins inside the stacked cups that you lowered from the ball head assembly, and parts of the panning base. I used a multi-purpose grease to lubricate mine, and it works fine.

Reassembly is the opposite of the disassembly process. Insert the cleaned cap assembly with "O" ring on top in the machined groove, into the ballhead and press against the ball. Turn the ballhead assembly upside down. Make sure that the slot in the bottom of the cap assembly is aligned with the hole for the "Ball Lock" screw. Insert the "ball lock" screw. Install the circlip, making sure it fully seats into it's groove. Install the captive screw, plate and washer. Install the other circlip, making sure that it fully seats into it's groove. Install the panning base turning the captive screw counter clockwise to install. Adjust the tightness of the panning base with the captive screw until the panning base turns smoothly, and the ball head assembly will not rock side to side on the panning base. When satisfied with the fit use the 2mm allen screw to tighten the setscrew under the "Pan Lock" screw. Now reinstall the "Pan Lock" screw.

Congratulations, you just refurbished your 488 ballhead.

Ken

blinktwice
141 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 23, 2007 14:56 |  #18

I bought the 488rc2 a couple of days ago and it finally got here. Ill quote from the "General Instructions & Warnings" Pamphlet:

"Clean with mild detergent and soft cloth.
Remove dust and sand from all locking threads and sliding segments.

The equipment does not require regular lubrication but if required, use standard lubricant oils or grease "

I should of paid the extra shipping for the tripod because now im stuck with the ball head but no legs. Now ill go back and play with my ball

adam ­ LC
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,142 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 23, 2007 15:56 |  #19

kwbarnes: don't be daft... i have enough trouble with the spare wheel for my car! and that's just four bolts!

EOS 6D, 135L, 24-105L, Mamiya RZ67pro2 and lenses :cool:
If you saw a man drowning and could either save him or take a picture...
What kind of film would you use? - Anonymous

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 23, 2007 17:26 |  #20

I was wondering, how about graphite? Shouldn't attract dirt i.e. grit. It's dry. Just a thought.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jul 23, 2007 17:44 |  #21

blinktwice wrote in post #3597656 (external link)
I bought the 488rc2 a couple of days ago and it finally got here. Ill quote from the "General Instructions & Warnings" Pamphlet:

"Clean with mild detergent and soft cloth.
Remove dust and sand from all locking threads and sliding segments.

The equipment does not require regular lubrication but if required, use standard lubricant oils or grease "

The "General Instructions and Warnings" pamphlet comes with ALL items sold by Bogen/Manfrotto. I have quite a few copies of that which came with my tripods, heads (of several types), light stands, and other items.

The specific pamphlet for the ball heads that I have (484, 486, and 488 ) all say DO NOT lubricate the ball. That is pretty plain.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 24, 2007 01:21 |  #22

The "do not lubricate the ball" seems compatible with what my memory thinks I read when I bought the ball head. Teflon in itself doesn't normally need lubrication, and most forms of lubrication would collect sand and grit which would wear out the Teflon coating.

Also, the ball was not lubricated when I received the head.

If the Teflon coating do wear out, I would probably think about paraffin or graphite-based lubricants, to keep the ball dry.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 24, 2007 17:11 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #23

Manfrotto certainly tell us not to try greasing the 486RC2. But I well remember when mine was new it arrived smothered in a clear and very silicon-like grease.

Richard

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 24, 2007 19:50 |  #24

adamlc wrote in post #3586982 (external link)
Why do these manufacturers claim "maintenance free" when it clearly isn't??? I know that if I don't do something it will only get worse.

I will use a cloth for now until I figure something else.

Because they don't consider "cleaning" and "maintenance" to be the same thing. Maintenance implies taking it apart and/or applying various compounds. Cleaning's just getting rid of accumulated crud. Your lenses aren't user-maintainable but the user is expected to clean them. See the difference?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

3,603 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have a stiff ball??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.