Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Jul 2007 (Friday) 20:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 30d & Need Help

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 28, 2007 03:06 |  #46

KonTiki wrote in post #3623257 (external link)
I guess it must be a language problem with me and trying to get you to understnad, that a) the EOS Utility will not launch in my machine, it wont today, it never has for as long as I have owned canon cameras.

It sounds to me like the root cause of the problem is that you have (or had) old versions of the software on the computer, and that's not working with the new hardware, and may even be interfering with the new versions of the software on your EOS 30D CD.

The old EOS Utility that you had tried to use in the past may not have worked for you back then. But the version that ships on your EOS 30D CD should work.

Normally I would recommend uninstalling every piece of Canon software that is supplied on your EOD 30D CD and which is also currently installed on your computer. That includes DPP, EOS Utility, the drivers, etc.

But since I don't know which Canon software you use and certainly don't know if uninstalling DPP (for example) will cause it to blow away your preferences, I have to be a little more conservative.

So: step 1 is to uninstall, at a minimum, the drivers and EOS Utility. Then reboot.

Step 2 is to install, from your EOS 30D CD, the drivers, EOS Utility, and anything else on there that you want (e.g., Digital Photo Professional) and which isn't already installed. Then reboot again.

Step 3 is to install all the updates from Canon's website, from the EOS 30D software download area, for the software that you installed from the EOS 30D CD. For good measure, reboot again afterwards.

Then try connecting your camera to your computer and running EOS Utility.

If any one of the above steps fails, please reply back and tell us the exact error message you got during that step.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

sponsored links
kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Jul 28, 2007 04:59 |  #47

kcbrown wrote in post #3623961 (external link)
It sounds to me like the root cause of the problem is that you have (or had) old versions of the software on the computer, and that's not working with the new hardware, and may even be interfering with the new versions of the software on your EOS 30D CD.

The old EOS Utility that you had tried to use in the past may not have worked for you back then. But the version that ships on your EOS 30D CD should work.

Normally I would recommend uninstalling every piece of Canon software that is supplied on your EOD 30D CD and which is also currently installed on your computer. That includes DPP, EOS Utility, the drivers, etc.

But since I don't know which Canon software you use and certainly don't know if uninstalling DPP (for example) will cause it to blow away your preferences, I have to be a little more conservative.

So: step 1 is to uninstall, at a minimum, the drivers and EOS Utility. Then reboot.

Step 2 is to install, from your EOS 30D CD, the drivers, EOS Utility, and anything else on there that you want (e.g., Digital Photo Professional) and which isn't already installed. Then reboot again.

Step 3 is to install all the updates from Canon's website, from the EOS 30D software download area, for the software that you installed from the EOS 30D CD. For good measure, reboot again afterwards.

Then try connecting your camera to your computer and running EOS Utility.

If any one of the above steps fails, please reply back and tell us the exact error message you got during that step.

Exactly. This is what I was going to say:

Odds are the cd that came with your camera is fine. I don't think you need to download anything. You do need to uninstall your Canon software, reboot your computer and re-install from the CD. (because something has become corrupted on your computer) Downloading additional software is not going to correct that.

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Jaime
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 28, 2007 07:22 |  #48

Thank you, please do not misunderstand, none of you are reading what I post, so I wont bother coming back.

1) I have unistalled every single piece of canon software from my machine.
2) Rebooted
3) Deleted from the registry any and all entries and references to Canon
4) Rebooted
5) Re installed from the original CD that came with the camera all the software including the blessed EOS UTILITY
6) The Utility fails to launch the message says This utility cannot launch.
7) Have used three different USB cables o0n six different USB port that I have on my machine.
8) The old EOS Viewer UTILITY worked on the 350D and the 20D. I was told at the beginning of this thread to unistall it and reinstall it but what I got from Canon was an updater which fails to install because it cannot find the version I deleted.

Now for your information, and disbelief some kind soul (pagesk AKA as Simon Page) was kind enough to send me via email the EOS Viewer Utility that came with his 20D, I unrared it, installed it, and guess what:It Worked

Just as I have been saying all along it should have worked. I dont know why you seem to think it wouldn't, but that is the only way I have been able to do the name registration on camera on any camera I have had.

Thanks Simon Page, I appreciate your help.

"My eyes see but a minute reflection of what my soul
longs to capture through the sensual art of photography."
Jaime E. Pagán
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=6253713#p​ost6253713

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,511 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005

Jul 28, 2007 08:06 |  #49

Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for yelling at us for trying to help you. :)

KAC

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Page (external link) - Photo Gallery (external link) - Art Print Gallery (external link) - Writing&Poetry (external link)
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

PoSaiDoN
53 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 04, 2009 22:34 as a reply to  @ post 3622969 |  #50

THANK YOU SOOO MUTCH !!! it works on Windows 7 as well !!! :D

450D ▲ 55-250mm ▲ 18-55 IS ▲ 50mm f/1.8 ▲ 450EXII

-MasterChief-
- B E L I E V E -
3,188 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 04, 2009 22:37 |  #51

PoSaiDoN wrote in post #7859614 (external link)
THANK YOU SOOO MUTCH !!! it works on Windows 7 as well !!! :D

did it work in native Windows 7? or did you need the Virtualized XP mode to get it to work? in any case, glad it worked!

firelord
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 13, 2010 04:21 as a reply to  @ -MasterChief-'s post |  #52

Don't know if anyone posted yet but windows vista and 7 64bit need a diffrent key location
for the installs to work

I'm told (thanks) that this has changed with Win7 x64, where the s/w currently runs in 32 bit mode, so the keys are:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

* [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\EOS Utility]
* [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\DPP]
* [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\ZoomBrowser EX]
* [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\PhotoStitch
* [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\EOS Capture]
* [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SO​FTWARE\Wow6432Node\Can​on\EOSViewerUtility]

taken from http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …stall_canon_sof​tware.html (external link)

Thanks for the help guys, working now bw!

sponsored links

11,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 30d & Need Help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.