Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Jul 2007 (Sunday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blonde's ThinkTank Airport Addicted Review!!!!!

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 29, 2007 20:37 |  #1

Yay, it's time for another one of my useless reviews (please don't jump off the window...). And guess what, it is yet another bag review!!! So without further adieu, here is my review of the ThinkTank Airport Addicted Bag!!

a bit of information about the ThinkTank Airport Addicted:

taken from the ThinkTank website:

"Think Tank Photo is a professional photography equipment manufacturer, creating innovative camera bags, camera cases, photo backpacks and belt packs for Professional Photographers that use digital SLR cameras. By designing camera bags for speed and accessibility, we prepare a photographer to Be Ready "Before The Moment.""

The ThinkTank Airport Addicted is a VERY large legal carry on size bag that is designed to carry TONS of gear while still being very easy to work out of and also look like your average carryon bag. The bag is mostly designed for air travel but this review will deal mostly with how this bag works in the field and on location.

Why I bought this bag: As I am sure some of you know by now, I have been through MANY bags in the past 2 years and I found that each one has strengths and weaknesses and the only way to get everything you want is by having more than one bag and simply knowing what bag to use for what purpose and when. Well, I bought this bag because I needed a solution to my problem of how to carry and work with the canon 500mm F4 lens while still being able to take extra gear with me. When I first got the lens, I bought a Kinesis long lens case which allowed me to carry the 500 mounted to my 1D as well as some additional gear in the various small pockets that are on the bag. I must say that the bag was truly fantastic and I have no problem recommending it. however, after using it in the field, I quickly discovered that it wasn't a match made in heaven for my shooting style so it was time to go back to the drawing board (or the internet for that matter) and reevaluate my needs.

After long nights after research and soul searching (and fights with the wife) I was finally able to understand my work style and decide on what I am looking for. If I had to describe my shooting style it would be "work from the car". Now, this does not mean that I mostly shoot from the car but what it does mean is that I use my car as a base. When I get to location, I like to carry the 500 slang on a tripod over my shoulder and load my POTN vest with everything else that I need. This allows me to mobile while still having my accessories and additional lenses with me. This is where the Think-tank Airport Addicted comes into play....

The Bag Itself: the first thing you need to know about the bag is that it is not cheap by any means. The bag retails for $390 (this should clear the room right up) and also you need to understand that it is a very specialized bag that is designed for a certain purpose. Unless you have a need for such a large and heavy bag (8 lbs empty), there are about a 1000 choices out there that would work much better for you. However, if you do own a lot of gear or the big large primes, this is a great option that I think you should check out.

The first thing you notice when you first get the bag is how big it is. Seriously, the thing is just huge!!!! The second thing that you will notice which is even more important is that the build quality of this bag is just top notch. Like I said before, I owned many bags before from Crumpler, Lowepro, Tarmac, Canon, Kinesis etc... But I have never seen a better built and designed bag. It is clear from the get go that ThinkTank really thought about everything and that the people that designed the bag are also professional photographers. Every time I use the bag, I discover another great feature or a small detail that just makes me go WOW. From lockable zippers, business card holders, vanishing straps and even hidden pockets for money and passports, this bag is truly a work of art.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

In Use: like I said before, this bag is truly a work of art and all the useful features and extremely good build quality truly makes this bag a joy to use. However, all the features and build quality do come with a hefty price and even heftier weight. Fully loaded, this bag weighs like a ton of bricks so you have to be really careful not to over load it otherwise you won't be able to carry it too far. To make sure that you can adjust it to your gear and needs, ThinkTank included an obscene amount of different size and shapes of dividers (I counted 35 different dividers). What this means is that you can adjust this bag to carry any type of gear that you might have. The bad part about this is that it will take many hours of different tries before you get a good result (I now changed the setup 5 times and I am finally happy).

The amount of gear that this bag can swallow is truly shocking. Even when I shoved all my gear in there, there is still plenty of room left in it :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

for my needs; this bag is proving to be just perfect. I now can carry all my gear to the car or location. When I do shoot from the car, this bag has been just fantastic because I can just put it open on the passenger seat and have all my gear fully accessible. On location, I can simply open it next to my spot and again, work out of it very easily. One thing to note though is that even though the straps are designed very well, this is not the right bag for hiking or stuff like that. I only manage to do about 10-15 mins of walking with the bag before I feel like I need to dial 911. If you are looking for a backpack for hiking, I highly advice you to look someplace else, this is not the bag you are looking for *doing the Jedi mind trick hand wave*

Conclusion:The ThinkTank Airport Addicted is truly a great bag. If you have tons of gear and you need a bag to carry it all on location, this is a great option. Even though it is very pricey and the size and weight might be a bit too much for most people, I honestly feel that as long as you know what you are getting into, you will be happy with it. HOWEVER, before you go and throw $380 at your local dealer, I am begging you to really take the time and decide what you need and why. Like I said, this bag is not for everybody and most people would actually go as far as calling it "retarded" (my wife's word) but if you do decide that this is what you need, you simply can't go wrong with this bag.

sponsored links
Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jul 29, 2007 20:52 |  #2

It's always great seeing people post reviews of their gear... I thought I was being exorbitant spending AU$300 on a Crumpler let alone the equivalent of $500! My hat goes off to you for however you keep your wife from killing you... ;)

It's interesting to see some of the other options out there.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

blonde
THREAD ­ STARTER
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 29, 2007 20:56 |  #3

Jim G wrote in post #3632889 (external link)
My hat goes off to you for however you keep your wife from killing you... ;)

i am really good in bed :) (at least thats what i tell myself...)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 29, 2007 20:59 |  #4

I looked at that bag and now will be getting the Airport security or international because the weight is an issue for me. Those TT bags are very nice.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 29, 2007 22:42 |  #5

holy cow! it's like a 22 inch roll-on on your back, that's crazy but if you gotta carry the 500 then this looks like a great way to go! thanks for posting!

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 29, 2007 22:56 |  #6

the best part about a bag like this, is when security freaks out when you x-ray it or they open it to look. i've got a dryzone 200 filled with gear (no where near your 500mm though) and they fall backwards when they see what's inside. Can't wait to hear how your next trip to the airport goes.

also, good to see you wearing a dcshoes hat. do you skate? somehow i always thought you were an old guy on these forums. Next time i go home to boston, we'll have to meet up and do some shooting/skating

as always blonde, thanks for the post.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 30, 2007 00:58 |  #7

Nice review Blonde! I think you sold another bag that you had before this one. Which one was it? Thanks.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 30, 2007 01:01 |  #8

Looks like one good way to burn that excess calories too:)

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

blonde
THREAD ­ STARTER
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 30, 2007 07:02 |  #9

Cathpah wrote in post #3633579 (external link)
also, good to see you wearing a dcshoes hat. do you skate? somehow i always thought you were an old guy on these forums. Next time i go home to boston, we'll have to meet up and do some shooting/skating

as always blonde, thanks for the post.

i used to skate, now i just enjoy the most comfortable shoes a man can buy (i own 7 pairs of skate shoes) and other comfortable items.

btw, i am 28..

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 30, 2007 10:59 |  #10

blonde wrote in post #3635310 (external link)
i used to skate, now i just enjoy the most comfortable shoes a man can buy (i own 7 pairs of skate shoes) and other comfortable items.

btw, i am 28..

haha...skate shoes are the most comfortable/durbale shoes ever made.

I own far to many pairs of skate shoes...but for the last 6 years, I've worn only 2 different models of shoes (many many pairs of each though...griptape sure eats up the shoes)

if you're not skating enough these days, I strongly recommend picking up a longboard. my knees and ankles are getting too old for kickflips...but going 50+ mph down a hill never gets old  :p

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 30, 2007 13:53 as a reply to  @ Cathpah's post |  #11

That's HUGE! Woah.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 30, 2007 18:07 |  #12

The Think Tank Airport Addicted is indeed the largest possible legal carry-on for domestic airlines. The bag was developed for sports/event professionals to get all their gear to a shoot and not have to check their equipment. Mine isn't even full (look how much room I have around my camera) and I carry 3 of the lenses with their hoods attached, NOT reversed: 24-70, 100 macro, 17-40.

http://www.fototime.co​m/5348E03D554384E/orig​.jpg (external link)

the most notable feature from the other large photo backpacks is the 8" depth in the lower 1/3 of the bag. Did you notice that the 70-200 f2.8 IS fits comfortably in the bag end wise (straight up?). This depth means it fits a 1D series body with a L plate and large diameter lenses like the 400 f2.8IS, or 500/600 f4IS without stressing the cover zipper and provides better equipment portection. Yes, when packed with lots of gear it is heavy, but it is very reasonable back pack for short-intermediate length hikes. I find the harness quite adequate for a removable system. I have 2 other smaller bags for longer hikes or for travelling very light. The build quality is excellent and it comes with a lap top case and trippd carrying capability.

On the Think Tank website there are many examples of packing gear into a TT AA, including large format gear and many examples of large telephoto lenses.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 30, 2007 19:48 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #13

How does this compare to the Vertex 300? or Vertex 200.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,719 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Jul 30, 2007 20:38 |  #14

How are the wheels? I just had an unexpected 16 k walk down a mountain with a 30 pound Nature Trekker and would have killed for wheels.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

blonde
THREAD ­ STARTER
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 30, 2007 22:32 |  #15

Tapeman, this model doesn't have the wheels. you are talking about the ThinkTank airport security

sponsored links

23,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blonde's ThinkTank Airport Addicted Review!!!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.