Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jul 2007 (Sunday) 14:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade

jeeper31
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2007 14:55 |  #1

I presently am using a rebel XT and was wondering if it pays to upgrade to the 30D. What do you think?

What does the 30D have that mine doesn't?

TIA

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 29, 2007 14:57 |  #2

Depends. What limitations of the XT are you running into? Unless you're shooting for money, though, you'd probably be better off (assuming some real camera limitations) getting a 30D or 5D and lenses, for about the same money.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

jeeper31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 29, 2007 15:01 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #3630878 (external link)
Depends. What limitations of the XT are you running into? Unless you're shooting for money, though, you'd probably be better off (assuming some real camera limitations) getting a 30D or 5D and lenses, for about the same money.

not really running into any limitations. I just like to have the best equipment i can. It's sort of a sickness. Anyway my XT takes decent pics but just wondering if the 30D would be better.

sm1rf
940 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 29, 2007 15:05 |  #4

I just upgraded to the 30D as my 350D just died, I was hankering after the 30 anyways. This camera rocks, I have noticed slightly faster AF a much more pleasing viewfinder, much smoother operation. The higher frame rate is fun with the kids when they are playing and it feels a lot more substantial. The 350 always felt a bit weak and plasticy!

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not purchase"

My Gear
http://underwoodphotog​raphic.zenfolio.com/ (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jul 29, 2007 15:07 |  #5

jeeper31 wrote in post #3630891 (external link)
not really running into any limitations. I just like to have the best equipment i can. It's sort of a sickness. Anyway my XT takes decent pics but just wondering if the 30D would be better.

Go with the glass until you find the camera limiting you. The red rings are the real status symbols for those in the know. Shove a grip on and the casual MITS will be impressed no matter what body you have. Lenses will last longer, so get used to working with good ones right off.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 29, 2007 18:45 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #6

I had the same urge you had about 6 months ago. The bottom line for me was that IQ was not going to change much, I would just have a different body. Waited a few months and ended up with the 5D which, to me, is a totally different camerea due to FF. I bought a few lenses instead of a body which was a good thing for me. Lenses will yield a bigger impact on your pictures than will the body.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2007 22:25 |  #7

I would always get the lenses you need first. From my experience you will always see a bigger improvement in your shots by getting better glass than putting a new body on the glass you have.

Good luck.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

jeeper31
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 30, 2007 11:09 |  #8

EcoRick wrote in post #3632145 (external link)
I had the same urge you had about 6 months ago. The bottom line for me was that IQ was not going to change much, I would just have a different body. Waited a few months and ended up with the 5D which, to me, is a totally different camerea due to FF. I bought a few lenses instead of a body which was a good thing for me. Lenses will yield a bigger impact on your pictures than will the body.

How does the 5D differ? How much is it approx?

I am presently using a Tamron Aspherical XR DiII LD lense. 18-200mm 1:3.5 - 6.3. What would be NOTICEABLY better?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 30, 2007 11:13 |  #9

350->5D would be a nice upgrade, however at a cost of > $2000.
Aside from the obvious FF and 12.8MP, the biggest advantage for the 5D is the superior, low light/high ISO performance. AF is faster and the VF is bigger and brighter.

You won't see a huge difference in IQ between the 350 and the 30D. The 30D has better build, ergos, faster AF, spot metering, bigger LCD, etc...

I would say get more glass.

jeeper31 wrote in post #3636576 (external link)
How does the 5D differ? How much is it approx?

I am presently using a Tamron Aspherical XR DiII LD lense. 18-200mm 1:3.5 - 6.3. What would be NOTICEABLY better?

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,268 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 30, 2007 11:27 |  #10

I went from a 300D to a 30D and got to say you will notice the difference. The whole camera has a better feel. IQ wise is a step up
Magnesium body makes for a far more robust camera.
A definite step into the professional body market.
You also have far more custom functions which can be very useful.

Not a technical reply but my feeling/thoughts on the subject.

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP
My Website (external link)

JoeW
619 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 30, 2007 11:34 as a reply to  @ Pete W's post |  #11

If your only lens is the Tamron, I'd go with more glass. I've been slowly collecting lenses and am just now looking at getting a new camera (I've had my 10D since they first came out--was on the waiting list for a month). Good glass will make a big difference in your shots (or at least it can).

Gear: 5DII, 40D, 24-105 f4L, 100-400L; 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4 IS L, 17-40 f4 L, 50 f1.4, 550 EX (& a 10D w/ a broken shudder & an Elan IIe that still works)
Lightroom 3, Adobe CS6, a Mac Pro 8 core & Macbook Pro dual core flickr (external link) | www.watts-consulting.com/ (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 30, 2007 11:55 |  #12

PeterUK300 wrote in post #3636704 (external link)
I went from a 300D to a 30D and got to say you will notice the difference. The whole camera has a better feel. IQ wise is a step up
Magnesium body makes for a far more robust camera.
A definite step into the professional body market.
You also have far more custom functions which can be very useful.

Not a technical reply but my feeling/thoughts on the subject.

Even a jump from the 300D to the 350D will be a pretty big one. The 300D was soooooo slow writing to the CF card! It was also handicapped as far as the firmware (unless you installed on the the hacks out there). It was still a very nice camera...but I think Canon righted the ship with the 350D.

So I can only image how much of a leap the 300D-?30D would have felt like!

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 30, 2007 12:13 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #13

I just last week purchased a 30D and I have had the 350D for over a year now as well. The big difference for me (beyond the ergonomics) are the 5fps ability and the incremental ISO settings. (I have one daughter who does gymnastics, and another who figure skates so these feature will be a great use for me). My next purchase will be some more glass beyond my 70-200 f/2.8 to go with it.

Basically, it all depends on your needs. The 350D is a great camera and IQ wise, there is not much different at all between the two bodies. Check the features and see if they'd be useful for you. If not, then stick with the 350 and more glass. :)

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

nwa2
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 30, 2007 13:11 |  #14

jeeper31 wrote in post #3630891 (external link)

I have the same sickness. I am afraid it can not be cured by buying a 5D, your sicknes will want more .. more ... more...

I am getting great sots from my 350D at the moment. They get better as I learn and improve my technique.

The only imediate reason I could see me upgrading to a 5D would be the full frame sensor, I do get annoyed by the aspect ration of the APC in my 350d. I would also like a brighter viewfinder.

I am currently feeding the sickness by getting hold of low cost add on's.

Today's purchase has been an adapter ring for the Pentax M42 mount and a 30 year old manual lens. Total cost £30. It will be fun to go manual for a bit.

Canon 6D; 7D; 40D:
There are many tomorrows', but only one today!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]http://www.Abercrombie​.me.Uk (external link)
http://imagesix.wordpr​ess.com/ (external link)

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 30, 2007 13:30 |  #15

dont forget the 1/8000 shutter speed (compared to the 1/4000 of the Rebels) and the fact that the 30D has a PC port for sync to studio lights (which really isn't that big of a deal)

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

sponsored links

2,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.