Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 01 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 04:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sports: 135mm or 70-200mm f/2.8 IS

OtieM
54 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 01, 2007 04:38 |  #1

Leaving question as vague as possible for maximum response.

Curious here. I have the 85mm 1.8 and love the results. I see this 135mm recommended for sports, especially indoor. Just curious, at more than half the price of the 70-200 2.8 IS, is the difference in 2.0 and 2.8 enough to lose out on the zoom capabilities?

When and what conditions make one lens more advantageous than the other?

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 01, 2007 04:40 |  #2

Depends. If f/2.8 is fast enough, then that. If not, then you need something faster. f/2 is a stop faster than f/2.8. It'll double your shutter speed or half your ISO.

f/2.8 ISO800 1/500th is the same exposure as f/2 ISO400 1/500th

f/2.8 ISO800 1/500th is the same exposure as f/2 ISO800 1/1000th

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mrfourcows
Goldmember
2,108 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 01, 2007 07:55 |  #3

OtieM wrote in post #3648419 (external link)
Just curious, at more than half the price of the 70-200 2.8 IS, is the difference in 2.0 and 2.8 enough to lose out on the zoom capabilities?

if it gets my shutter speed from 1/100 to 1/200 and gets me the keeper shots, then definitely yes. IS is useless here.

gear | flickr (external link)

OtieM
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 01, 2007 08:09 as a reply to  @ mrfourcows's post |  #4

thanks. interesting. followed advice of reading "Beyond Exposure" and some of those but it's these answers and all the follow ups that really beat things into the thick skull.

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 01, 2007 08:09 as a reply to  @ mrfourcows's post |  #5

I have the 70-200mm non-IS and it has served extremely well in almost all instances shooting indoor sports (namely gymnastics and figure skating).
If the 135 can get you close enough, the stop extra will help though.
In most gyms (and rinks especially) I am not able to get close enough for the 135 though, so I haven't gone for it.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

Plecotus
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 01, 2007 09:40 |  #6

I was trying to decide on the same question. I ended up with the 135 and a 1.4 extender. That way I have the lower f stop when I need it, but also the reach if it is needed, although you lose an f stop with the extender. I like primes, though.

Plecotus
60D, 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 135L 2.0, Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 1.4X DG Teleconverter,
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD, TC80N3 Timer Remote, 580 EX, Alien Bee 800, Sekonic L-358

calicokat
Cream of the Crop
14,720 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 01, 2007 09:44 |  #7

I use my 70-200 F/2.8L IS for so many things, indoor and outdoor sports included, love it

"You are going to fall off a cliff trying to get a better shot someday"- My hopeful and loving wife :eek: :twisted:
My Website (external link)

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Aug 01, 2007 10:03 |  #8

OtieM wrote in post #3648419 (external link)
Leaving question as vague as possible for maximum response.

Curious here. I have the 85mm 1.8 and love the results. I see this 135mm recommended for sports, especially indoor. Just curious, at more than half the price of the 70-200 2.8 IS, is the difference in 2.0 and 2.8 enough to lose out on the zoom capabilities?

When and what conditions make one lens more advantageous than the other?

The answer in the form of a question (Jeopardy style): Will we be on the sidelines or drinking beer in the cheap seats? ;)

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

metalman1010
Goldmember
1,272 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 01, 2007 10:04 as a reply to  @ calicokat's post |  #9

There are several questions to ask first about shooting sports before deciding what lens to choose.

What sport: Basketball, Hockey, Volleyball, Gymnastics?

What level: Grade School, H.S., College?

Both lenses are excellent choices in their reguards. The 135 if you have real dark arenas to shoot in will allow you to be able to shoot faster and it is excellent wide open.

The 70-200 2.8 IS is one of the most widely used lenses for sports because it's a zoom and is still very fast at 2.8.

As far as your question goes about f/2 to 2.8. Yes it is worth it in alot of situations to gain extra light and speed over having zoom. But alot of the time it's going to come down to experience on using a prime over a zoom.

Ross

P.S. I will be adding a 135 f/2 to my collection very soon myself.

http://crossczech.smug​mug.com (external link)
Unfortunatly IM now all Nikon...;)

OtieM
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 01, 2007 14:21 |  #10

AngryCorgi wrote in post #3649560 (external link)
The answer in the form of a question (Jeopardy style): Will we be on the sidelines or drinking beer in the cheap seats? ;)

In Yoda style right back at cha:
Both why can't we have? Hmmm? Mutually exclusive sidelines and beer must not be Hmmmm? Much to learn I see you have, Young Corgi with Anger. Relax. Beer and 70-200mm you must..:lol:.

sponsored links

1,865 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sports: 135mm or 70-200mm f/2.8 IS
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.