Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Apr 2007 (Monday) 05:01
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you have a Point and Shoot Camera aswell as your DSLR?"
Yes
82.8%
No
17.2%

1190 voters, 1190 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you have a Point and shoot camera as well?

Nick123
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2007 02:52 |  #136

No, but I would like to. After traveling thru Europe these past couple months, there have been numerous times where I couldn't take my slr so the p&s would come in handy.

sponsored links
SHULTSIE!!!
"Stonehenge wasn't too impressive"
3,964 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 03, 2007 02:55 |  #137

Yes, defenitely... SD1000K. I can't carry my 350 everywhere... well, I can, but I like to enjoy the sites too.

Justin
My Gear
My 15 minutes of fame... (external link)

NZDoug
"old fashion"
1,499 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: French Bay, on the shores of the mighty Manukau Harbour, Aoteoroa

Aug 03, 2007 03:12 |  #138

Coolpix 4500, which does 28-85mm equiv, Great for propping, and the wife uses it in "no brainer" mode.
Also Olympus 720AW which is good under water to 10 feets!
Wet and Cool!

HEY! HO!
LETS GO!

MikeI
Goldmember
2,074 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 03, 2007 03:14 |  #139

Yes...a few of them. One doesn't get used. It is a 5 year old Kodak. My wife has one; Casio Elixim 660 maybe? Great little camera. The other is another Kodak 5 MP thing that my 5 year old has latched on to.

Doubleshot Photography (external link) ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3138451&postcou​nt=595"]My Gear ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://irel​and-photo.smugmug.com/"]Pe​rsonal Gallery

dfindr
676 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 03, 2007 03:29 |  #140

Fizzbang wrote in post #3049206 (external link)
I wondered how many of you also have Point and Shoot Camera's aswell as your DSLR...Also which one?

Pro 1 & G6

DAVID ALAN DARBY // MAC CONVERT // Raging and unapologetic L'coholic constantly Striving To Measure Up to the Quality of My Gear!
Too Many Bodies, Way Too Much Glass, Not Enough Time . . . BUY THE BEST, BUY IT ONCE, GO TAKE PICTURES!

lkb-28
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 03, 2007 03:47 |  #141

ALWAYS carry a P&S as a stand-by; or for the wife to use alongside whatever we're doing - just in case of any problems...
Did have a Pentax Optio 450...
Now have a Panasonic Lumix TZ3.
Lee

Comments & Criticisms ALWAYS welcome...:D
Still a rank amateur - but learning day by day...:D

Equipment

Kennymc
Goldmember
1,501 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 03, 2007 05:27 as a reply to  @ lkb-28's post |  #142

IXUS 750... Slip it in my pocket, even when out shopping with my wife... You never know what opportunities you might miss if you don't have a camera with you...

www.kennymc.com (external link)
Equipment http://kennymc.com/Inf​ormation/equipment.htm​l (external link)
http://www.kennymc.com​/equipment.htm (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,297 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 03, 2007 06:48 |  #143

after lugging the 30d and a couple of lenses around Disney, I decided on all other family outings a point and shoot would work much better. I got the S3 IS with a 430mm equiv reach, so it has great range, has movie mode, and generally works better in a fanny pack than a camera bag that you have to watch like a hawk.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

tunin
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 03, 2007 08:30 |  #144

sd550

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.net (external link)
*** Amateur tools ***

td4wg
65 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 03, 2007 08:33 |  #145

Sony Ericsson K790a. My cell phone/camera.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: data

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: data

-Tony
Canon EOS 30D | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG MACRO | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO DG HSM | Canon 430 EX | Canon EG-B2 battery grip |
Canon [COLOR=Black]Powershot SD200[COLOR=Red] | POTN strap (black) | Lowepro Nova 4 AW
http://td4wg.blogspot.​com (external link)

ps249
420 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 03, 2007 09:07 |  #146
bannedPermanent ban

I have a Nikon coolpix 4300 which I bought online 4 years ago for around $350. It is a 4 MP camera. If I had known as much about cameras 4 years ago as I do now- I would not have purchased this camera because the LCD screen is very small at 1.5" and only has a cheezy 3X zoom and you have to wait 13 seconds before you can take another picture. And nowadays- 4 MP is a low end camera.Once you hit the holy grail of 6 MP- that should be a starting point when purchasing any camera.

40D
50 f/1.8 | 28-135 IS |
MAUREEN SOUZA FOR PRESIDENT!

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 03, 2007 10:45 |  #147

Canon S30 - a truly classic point and shoot camera - back when it was unheard of - this little baby goes up to ISO800 and its fairly low noise at that point. It has the same size sensor as some 5 and 6 MP cameras, but its only 3 MP......those large photosites have some room to breath and create some just stunning photos.

Leorooster
Cream of the Crop
6,749 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 03, 2007 12:33 |  #148

I have a Fuji F30 for its excellent low light performance...........​.better than any other P&S in the class :)

Canon 1DMarkIII :shock: | Canon 5DII :p | Fujifilm Finepix F30
Glasses & Goodies

prrs4me
326 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 04, 2007 20:23 |  #149

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1. Its a great little camera with a 10X zoom.

jlg84
60 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 05, 2007 03:51 as a reply to  @ prrs4me's post |  #150

I have a point-and-shoot that I usually keep with me at all times, since I have been in too many places at too many times when something dramatic happened and I found myself wishing I had a camera around (among these events were the Tiananmen Square incidents of 1989, the putsch against Gorbachev in Moscow in 1991, and numerous other political events all over the place--and I'm neither a journalist nor a diplomat!). So I now have a Canon IXUS800 that I bought recently to replace an older Canon SD400 that I managed to kill, which in turn replaced an even older Canon that I now use only for underwater shots, since I bought a housing for it a few years ago.

I also find the point-and-shoot useful when traveling when I want someone to take a picture of me and my partner, since strangers are not usually capable of using an SLR effectively and while I'd be upset if someone ran off with my IXUS, I'd be apoplectic if someone ran off with my 5D...

http://shuanglong.smug​mug.com (external link)
Canon 5D, Battery Grip, 17-40 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 DO, etc etc
...oh, and a Canon IXUS800

sponsored links

32,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you have a Point and shoot camera as well?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.