Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 02 Aug 2007 (Thursday) 16:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you ever think that you're a bad photographer?

Michelle ­ Davies
62 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 06, 2007 21:58 as a reply to  @ post 3678026 |  #31

i've been having these thoughts a lot lately. but reading this just reaffirmed my belief that yes, other have a different eye and that i am ultimately shooting for ME. it's my art and i want to get what i want. if someone else is please then all the better!

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 07, 2007 00:49 |  #32

I always think that I am a bad photographer.

do you know how I know. I have picked up the camera in the last month to do any reall photography.

But I am sure that's because it's winter :(

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

mkuriger
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 07, 2007 00:50 |  #33

if you think you are, then you are.

newton wrote in post #3657713 (external link)
I've been shooting for a few years now, a few months with a dSLR. I shot a few pictures this morning and posted them on another forum. They looked good to me at the time, until I got criticized. I re-evaluated my shots, and realized, wow, they really aren't that great.

I don't know if it's just negative mentality, but sometimes I think I'm a far worse photographer than I actually believe I am.

The other thing I don't understand is that I'll frequently see a picture that is praised by many to be an excellent photo, yet I think very little of it. I'm utterly confused. I don't know if it's me being arrogant, or that I simply don't understand photography in general. Taking a good picture is getting harder these days it seems.

/end rambling.

Michael Kuriger
My Myspace (external link)
ikekuriger@gmail.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 30D | Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS | Canon 70-200mm F4L | Canon 24-70mm F2.8L

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 07, 2007 01:27 |  #34

No, I just think I screwed up the last shot.:lol: Every time.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 07, 2007 10:48 |  #35

I look back on pictures I've taken in the past and I see a clear improvement, both technically and artistically, in my current photos.

However, I've also become much more critical of my photography and have come to realize the vast gulf between my eye and the eye of a truly creative person. So really I feel I'm becoming worse and worse.

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 07, 2007 14:39 |  #36

Photography is sooooo subjective. With that said, I think I suck. I post pics here so my friends on POTN can tell me they like them and make me feel better about myself and raise my self esteem. I usually have to pay these random people to comment on my shots, but it's worth it.

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

the_incubus
my head exploded
3,456 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 07, 2007 14:43 |  #37

its just like the little engine that could. He just kept saying "I think i can, I think i can" and he eventually chugged up the hill. :) If you believe you can do something enough, you can.

And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same.
My Gear

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,150 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 07, 2007 14:45 |  #38

Whenever I start flattering myself I could be a good photographer I look at the images presented to this forum and come to my senses! Good is good but the problem is others keep showing me BETTER! :)

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 07, 2007 14:49 |  #39

Lord_Malone wrote in post #3685420 (external link)
Photography is sooooo subjective. With that said, I think I suck. I post pics here so my friends on POTN can tell me they like them and make me feel better about myself and raise my self esteem. I usually have to pay these random people to comment on my shots, but it's worth it.

Speaking of which, I haven't received your monthly payment in quite some time. :evil:

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 07, 2007 14:50 as a reply to  @ post 3661361 |  #40

Buck up, this is all in your mind. Relax. Go travel somewhere, shoot, get your mind off of what some random person said about your photos.

You like it, you get paid, you're done. :D

And, oh yeah, I'm not a talented photographer by any definition. This is just fun.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 07, 2007 14:55 |  #41

hortonsl62 wrote in post #3685496 (external link)
You like it, you get paid, you're done. :D

Hey, if I got paid I'd feel a lot better :D

Buck up, this is all in your mind. Relax. Go travel somewhere, shoot, get your mind off of what some random person said about your photos.

Yeah, but it's always the same random person - me!

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 07, 2007 15:52 |  #42

^^ Julie, talking to yourself is abnormal. Seek help. :lol::lol:

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. It took me a long, long time to get to the point I felt the work was coming along. Thousands and thousands of frames, so many missed shots.......... The day you stop trying, you have lost.

Striving to improve is part of the Human condition.

@OP -
My experience on POTN has been that if I ask a (real) question and need help, the good members step up and provide it. The brutal style is never appreciated, but look past it for a point and often there is one. People who put you down personally have their own issue, namely a trait named after the back end of a mule. It feels bad, but try to think of it as just a bunch of letters on a screen which you're perfectly free to ignore without consequence.

And, ya know what, be glad you have feelings at all. I've met some people who do not, and they are pitiable.

@MD - If you're bad, then I quit. :p

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,666 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 07, 2007 15:55 |  #43

I don't think I am a bad photographer.

I kid you not, the other day I was so sleepy that at a meeting I had to grab my camera (strapped on neck) to take a photo, and I looked through the Lens, leaving a nose imprint on the UV Filter. I think one or two people thought I was a bit err... 'Disoriented'.

:)

--Mario
"Sensa luce non si vede nessuna cosa"--Lorenzo Ghiberti

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 07, 2007 16:16 |  #44

In2Photos wrote in post #3685488 (external link)
Speaking of which, I haven't received your monthly payment in quite some time. :evil:

Sorry. :( The checks in the mail.

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

Alex ­ 2
97 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 07, 2007 19:36 |  #45

My senior year of high school I got a lot of attention due to my photos. I would always think I am just a decent photographer, while others were going crazy for my work. Maybe its just that my photos are just that; my photos, and to others its an entire new thing.

EOS 30D
EF 17-40mm f/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Speedlite 430EX
Apple Macbook
Photoblog (external link)

sponsored links

2,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you ever think that you're a bad photographer?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.