Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 03:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lurkers ... -WELCOME-

this thread is locked
stasber
160 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 07, 2007 06:53 as a reply to  @ post 3682973 |  #16

I'd be interested to see how many threads & forums you lurk on and how many you post on in a year's time here. Or any other forum I guess. Kudos to you if you find the time and resource to keep posting at the same rate; i.e. looking at a thread and having something tangible to say in reply. Every single time, no buts. You lurk too, I 'm sure. Window shopping, as Pete put it.

You can't change the weather, not much you can do about lurkers either. Especially as they'll read but won't reply to your thread :lol:

"David, what musical instrument do you play?" "I play the Hasselblad!" (David Redfern)

sponsored links
Twin-X
50 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 07, 2007 07:59 |  #17

Colyn wrote in post #3682769 (external link)
Twin X is expressing one of the views with which I have a huge problem ...

You could always start your own forum and make YOUR rules. This way you won't have a problem.

I own 4 forums myself, need any help setting one up i can create scripts that your account get's banned if you do not reply after reading a post.

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 07, 2007 08:19 |  #18

Twin-X wrote in post #3683264 (external link)
I own 4 forums myself, need any help setting one up i can create scripts that your account get's banned if you do not reply after reading a post.

Seems to me that would make for a very useless forum, as everyone replies with some useless nonsense just to keep their account alive.

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 07, 2007 08:29 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

I didn't post for at least a couple of months after joining, as I was getting a feel for the place. You'll notice I got over that pretty quickly. ;)

As for commenting on photos, this isn't Flickr. Comments made on people's work, for the most part, is sincere. If I see something I don't think merits a comment, I don't make one of those phony "nice shot" posts unless I really think it is a nice one.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 07, 2007 08:29 |  #20

Colyn,

When you became a member here, you did so with the knowledge that others can view without posting. They can view some things without even joining.

Most people view the internet as a resource for information and ideas, and obviously many people use this forum as such.

If you don't like the arrangement then you shouldn't have joined. The good news is, if you cancel your membership will receive a 100% refund of the membership fee.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

T.Hogan
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 07, 2007 08:44 |  #21

Colyn, you need to rethink your sig,"Only a fool tries to learn from his own experience". It should read "A fool never learns from their mistakes, for that is where you recieve your experience". A fool is someone who makes the same mistakes and expects different results.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Aug 07, 2007 09:00 |  #22

I feel like creating another dozen accounts just so I can use them to view this thread and not comment ;)

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

Grace
something cute
7,629 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 07, 2007 09:04 |  #23

perhaps they don't want to be called a post whore :)

- Grace -

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 07, 2007 09:07 as a reply to  @ BillsBayou's post |  #24

:cry::cry::cry:

I don't comment on images that I don't like unless the post explicitly asks..."How can I improve this photo", etc.

There isn't any hard-set rule stating that you must post if you view a thread. That would make things rather ridiculous wouldn't it?

I wouldn't take things personally. The lack of replies could mean many things, not necessarily that people didn't like what you put up.

I try once in a while to check out the photo sharing forums but there are so many posts it's really difficult to keep track of things!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 07, 2007 09:07 |  #25

So I don't get accused of lurking . . .
"Nice Duck!"

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,877 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 07, 2007 09:10 |  #26

Well I wandered by this thread, I have nothing to say but did not want to be a lurker so here is a post from a lurker with nothing to say.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Desertraptor
Cream of the Crop
11,550 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 07, 2007 09:10 |  #27

What crap. Comment for the sake of comment is pointless.

My theory is if you have nothing nice to say then shut up. Why waste bandwidth posting inanely to a shot that may not appeal to you.

ie someone posts an image and gives it a title that I may find attractive only to find the shot not what I thought it was. I am not going to coment. I suspect this is the reason many look and go.

You'd be one of those on Flickr with a group that if you post you must comment. Well I comment when I feel like it and only if a shot is appealing to me.

Some areas I look and go because I do not feel qualified to pass judgement. In those situations my comment would likely be unwanted or against site policy.

Peter
Canon 6D|60D|40D
Lens 10-22mm f2.8|50mm f 1.8|100mm f2.8 Macro

24-70mm f2.8|L100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
Flash 430EX II
Telescope Skywatcher 600mm ED80 f7.5 GEM EQ3

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,889 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Aug 07, 2007 10:08 |  #28

AcuraFan wrote in post #3683006 (external link)
i want back my 2 minutes for reading this thread.

Easy, you need to fill form "DUCK-4AL", post it with print of this post on post-it, wait for 2 minutes and then fill forms "Lam3-lur-k", "L-NVY" and "24/7-2" under a minute and lick the stamps with a hint of Cabernet Sauvignon.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Colyn
THREAD ­ STARTER
708 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 07, 2007 13:18 |  #29

@ Tommykjensen ... go check the logs ... I registered ... looked for the introduction forum ... posted in the wrong forum and got sorted out by a friendly mod ... about 4 minutes of lurking for me.

To the talented guy that owns 4 forums and want to write scripts ... thank you but I have my own stuff and incidentally I make a living from doing system development ... been doing it since 1982 so by now I can do some scripting.

To those that feel inflamed by my post ... isn't it about LURKERS ? ... with your post counts you can certainly not be seen as lurkers.

What I have learned a long time ago is that if you can draw some lurkers into participating you are usually surprised at the value they can bring to a forum because they actually read a lot of what is going on.

PS .. I am happy with my signature.

Comments and crits are much appreciated.
Shoot till your finger bleeds ... it is just a moment in time and then it is gone forever.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 07, 2007 13:23 |  #30

Colyn wrote in post #3684939 (external link)
if you can draw some lurkers into participating you are usually surprised at the value they can bring...

Yep.

Calling them rude and selfish is sure to do the trick.

Nice strategy!

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sponsored links

2,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lurkers ... -WELCOME-
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.