Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 07 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Used Most Often For Sports Photography

stevefossimages
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2007 18:48 |  #16

No, you've got me wrong, bubba.

I'm not frustrated at all. I'm actually amused by your question. You've posted examples from several sports venues with markedly different needs, and to ask which is the "most used" lens and including all those venues as examples essentially nullifies your question.

You might as well ask a carpenter which is his "most used" tool for building anything from doghouses to decks to stick-built homes.

Steve Foss
Quantum in me fuit
For weddings, reunions, workshops, Realty and guided wilderness photo excursions: www.stevefossimages.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
Rhilton4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2007 18:51 |  #17

stevefossimages wrote in post #3686939 (external link)
No, you've got me wrong, bubba.

I'm not frustrated at all. I'm actually amused by your question. You've posted examples from several sports venues with markedly different needs, and to ask which is the "most used" lens and including all those venues as examples essentially nullifies your question.

You might as well ask a carpenter which is his "most used" tool for building anything from doghouses to decks to stick-built homes.

Oh geez..."Bubba" :rolleyes: Ok, obviously I asked a stupid question. Although, I'm pretty sure if I asked a guy from Sports Illustrated which lens he uses the most I'm sure he would just give me a blank stare. :confused:

Canon 1DX & 5D Classic | Manfrotto 3021 & 3249 Pods w/ 488RC2 | Speedlite 600EX-RT & 430EX
EF 17-40mm F4L | EF 24-70mm F2.8L | EF 70-200mm F2.8L (IS) | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L (IS)
EF 100mm Macro F2.8L (IS) | MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite | EF 50mm F1.8 ("nifty-fifty") | ► My flickr  (external link)

stevefossimages
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:00 |  #18

Rhilton4u wrote in post #3686953 (external link)
Oh geez..."Bubba" :rolleyes: Ok, obviously I asked a stupid question. Although, I'm pretty sure if I asked a guy from Sports Illustrated which lens he uses the most I'm sure he would just give me a blank stare. :confused:

And if you got a blank stare from an SI photographer you'd probably believe he was frustrated with the question and dismiss him as you've done me. :D

My greater point is this: I don't think the question is without some merit, but the wide variety of lens choices allows the sports photographer, and any photographer, to capture the vast range of subtlety and drama in any given subject. Why do you care which lens is the most used? I can't imagine a photographer working within a subject matter as vast and varied as the sporting world saying "my most-used lens is X" without qualifying that answer so much that it makes moot the question.

And, really, it's all good. We're having a civil discussion, not a fight. And I didn't mean to offend you with the use of the word "bubba," bubba. ;)

Steve Foss
Quantum in me fuit
For weddings, reunions, workshops, Realty and guided wilderness photo excursions: www.stevefossimages.co​m (external link)

Rhilton4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2007 19:05 |  #19

stevefossimages wrote in post #3687006 (external link)
And if you got a blank stare from an SI photographer you'd probably believe he was frustrated with the question and dismiss him as you've done me. :D

My greater point is this: I don't think the question is without some merit, but the wide variety of lens choices allows the sports photographer, and any photographer, to capture the vast range of subtlety and drama in any given subject. Why do you care which lens is the most used? I can't imagine a photographer working within a subject matter as vast and varied as the sporting world saying "my most-used lens is X" without qualifying that answer so much that it makes moot the question.

And, really, it's all good. We're having a civil discussion, not a fight. And I didn't mean to offend you with the use of the word "bubba," bubba. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. Let me get your point here so I understand you better. If you were talking to a kid who was just starting out as a photographer and knew he was going to cover sports for a local newspaper lets say. He had a limited budget and wanted to buy an L lens for the job and only had enough money to buy one. You couldn't make any type of recommendation to him because the variables are too vast to contemplate?

Canon 1DX & 5D Classic | Manfrotto 3021 & 3249 Pods w/ 488RC2 | Speedlite 600EX-RT & 430EX
EF 17-40mm F4L | EF 24-70mm F2.8L | EF 70-200mm F2.8L (IS) | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L (IS)
EF 100mm Macro F2.8L (IS) | MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite | EF 50mm F1.8 ("nifty-fifty") | ► My flickr  (external link)

stevefossimages
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:16 |  #20

Rhilton4u wrote in post #3687031 (external link)
Thanks for the kind words. Let me get your point here so I understand you better. If you were talking to a kid who was just starting out as a photographer and knew he was going to cover sports for a local newspaper lets say. He had a limited budget and wanted to buy an L lens for the job and only had enough money to buy one. You couldn't make any type of recommendation to him because the variables are too vast to contemplate?

Close, but not quite. Changing your question also changes the answer. While I don't believe there's any meaningful panacea of an answer I can give to your original question, your latest question is easier to work with, and in fact represents adivce I've given more than once to kids in that boat.

I'd ask him what type of sports he'd be shooting, and if he gave me a list as wide-ranging as yours I'd say he can't buy one lens that will do justice to all of them. But then I'd give him the half measure response (no wide angle and no real telephoto to speak of). I'd point him in the direction of the 70-200 f2.8, either IS or non IS, and tell him his next lens purchase after that needed to depend on what he shot the most. Long distance sports such as football/baseball cry out for more focal length, though a 1.4 TC on that lens for outdoor sports give reach without taking too much aperture to compromise shutter speed.

Close-in stuff such as boxing and, to a lesser degree basketball, are asking for the wider angle of the 16-35.

Steve Foss
Quantum in me fuit

Rhilton4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2007 19:23 as a reply to  @ stevefossimages's post |  #21

Thanks, I probably just worded the question wrong. If I get your answer right, the 70-200 IS or non IS was the answer I was looking for. I was hoping to get an understanding of the lens most sold and used in sports photography without consideration to cost or specific factors.

Wile_E
339 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2007 19:29 |  #22

In case it was overlooked....

https://photography-on-the.net …do=showresults&​pollid=271

Rhilton4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2007 19:34 |  #23

Holy crap that's EXACTLY what I was looking for!
I did (honest) do a search before I started the thread but it didn't come up with this. Thank YOU!

stevefossimages
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:35 |  #24

Hmm, interesting poll. My go-to outdoors sporting lens is the 100-400, which I've had good luck with even on cloudy days. Not a contender for indoor sports, tho.

Steve Foss
Quantum in me fuit

stevefossimages
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:35 |  #25

Rhilton4u wrote in post #3687201 (external link)
holy crap that's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks!

Huh? I took your questions to mean you specified indoor sports. Very different than outdoor sports.

Edit: Looking back, I see you mentioned stadium and arena sports. Stadiums are outdoors, arenas indoors. My bad.

Steve Foss
Quantum in me fuit

freebird
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:40 |  #26

stevefossimages wrote in post #3686867 (external link)
If I were a sports photographer I could not call myself such and only choose one lens. There is no "best single sports photography" lens.

That pretty much wraps it up right there.

vetkrazy
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:42 |  #27

Outdoors: 70-200 f/2.8 & 300 F.28

Indoors: 85mm /1.8 & 135 f/2

Those are the ones used most.

Wrap your ass in fiberglass.... You're only young once but you can be immature the rest of your life
http://vetkrazy.exposu​remanager.com/ (external link)

Gear List

Rhilton4u
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 07, 2007 19:44 |  #28

vetkrazy wrote in post #3687249 (external link)
Outdoors: 70-200 f/2.8 & 300 F.28

Indoors: 85mm /1.8 & 135 f/2

Those are the ones used most.

Thanks, man. Yeah, I guess there is a real distinction between indoor and outdoor use and I worded my question all wrong. Sorry bout the confusion there Stevefossimages.

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:49 |  #29

Rhilton4u wrote in post #3686600 (external link)
I'm curious on what is the most used lens on the sidelines and in the camera wells.

For gymnastics and figure skating, both indoor sports with spotty lighting (at best lol) I use 70-200 f/2.8L 90% of the time. If I can get really close at a meet I will use the 50 f/1.8. For skating I often wish I had a 300mm or an extender though.. Some day I will. ;)

My next lens is going to be the 85 f/1.8 or the 135 f/2L, which are both supposed to excel at this from all I have seen!

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

stevefossimages
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 07, 2007 19:51 |  #30

Yep, when you ask your original question to span both indoor and outdoor sports it becomes impossible to answer effectively.

The good news in vetkrazy's answer is that, in decently lit gyms/arenas, the outdoor choices also will work indoors, and both those outdoor lenses he chose will take a 1.4 TC (and the 300 can take a 2x TC) and will deliver good IQ and give them the reach that many outdoor sports require.

And don't mention it, man (I almost said "bubba"). Glad to be the one to help you refine your question. :D

After all, I've been an editor for 14 years, longer than I've been a photographer, so I still sometimes focus too narrowly on the meaning of the word.

Steve Foss
Quantum in me fuit

sponsored links

5,200 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Used Most Often For Sports Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.