Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 08 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Order of opperations

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 08, 2007 10:36 |  #1

I've been talking with a client (via E-mail), I'm shooting their wedding this weekend and the groom was nice enough to make up a list (with names) of all group/formal shots that they want. That's all well and good but my question has to do with the order of the shots.

On his list/order, he would have Bride & Groom with 'Family member A'. Then Bride with 'A', then Groom with 'A'. Then B&G with 'B', then Bride with 'B', then Groom with 'B'....etc.

Right away I said that I don't want to have the B&G (especially the Bride) having to move in and out of position for each shot. The Groom will be much easier but do I really want him jumping in and out?

My suggestion was to have the B&G in position and then rotate all the required family into position for each shot (leaving the wedding party for later). The problem with this, is that because they want each family shot with just the bride and just the groom...I would have to go through the rotation of family three times. This will require the family to be fairly alert and attentive, which might not be a problem...but it very well could be.

I know that I have to be flexible and adaptable. I usually have some sort of order planned out and doesn't always go as planned and I just go with the flow.

So what do you do? What would you recommend?

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

sponsored links
liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 08, 2007 11:16 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

God, I hate shot lists. I'd do exactly what you're proposing, as it makes the most sense.

FYI - A lot of the DWF'ers are limiting the number they allow in their contracts to around six to free up time for PJ and fine art-type shots. That's a thought for the future. :)

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 08, 2007 11:24 |  #3

I never understood why they would want pictures without the bride or the groom in family shots. I mean, marriage means they are all family now, doesn't it? In any case, nothing you can do will stop someone from wanting 30 group shots, no matter what you want in your contract. I do them just because... I don't love them but hey, you gotta do them. I tell people beforehand, like in the consult meet that I want at least 45 minutes ALONE with just B&G. If you want 100 group shots, then fine, just make enough time for all of that (I tell them 5 mins per group) AND time for just the B&G. I have found that planting that seed early has really helped out. It's nice when a week before the wedding I get a schedule from the couple and find they have booked 3.5 hours just for photos, and then they ask, "Is that enough time?" :) Of course, some totally forget or ignore but many actually remember and make accomodations.

Mike, I'd just move the bride and groom out of the shots. I find it easier to move them (because they are usually the most cooperative, they are paying!) than regroup entire families again.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Big ­ Mike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 08, 2007 12:25 |  #4

Thanks.

I guess I'll just see how it goes. If the bride (dress) doesn't need a lot of readjustment, every time she moves, I may just have them move rather than the family. But I've found that it's often easier if the bride gets into position and stays there while everyone else comes and goes around her.

I did let them know that I'd like plenty of time for the photos and certainly some 'alone time' with just the two of them. However, as with many couples, family is a very important part of their wedding day and the family shots are just as important to them as the shots of them together.

Despite my warnings, they want to shoot their formals at the Ledge Grounds...on Saturday afternoon. Lloyd, I'm sure you can appreciate why I'm not looking forward to that. It's a lovely location but there will probably be 50 wedding groups trying to shoot there.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 08, 2007 12:44 |  #5

Mike I like your suggestion to keep the B&G in place and rotate the family members in and out of the shot. The key will be getting everyone to stay close and not to wonder off... But you know it never fails that uncle Charlie went out for a smoke or grandpa won't hear his name being called for 8 mins.

See if you can get either mom (BG)to help you keep everyone poised and ready to come up quickly. See which one is most feared by the family and use her (lol).

Good luck

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!
2,067 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2007 12:45 |  #6

picturecrazy wrote in post #3691012 (external link)
Mike, I'd just move the bride and groom out of the shots. I find it easier to move them (because they are usually the most cooperative, they are paying!) than regroup entire families again.

Sorry, I have to disagree here. I have found that the B&G are the most impatient w/the family shots. Sure, they are usually/sometimes paying for it, but it's the family that really cares for these shots, and if the bride has a big heavy dress, she is not going to like moving in and out of the shots, especially when her mom is like, "ooh, can we get a picture with Aunt so-and-so too?" I always keep the bride in one spot and let others move around her. I do the bride's stuff first, then the groom's so she can be put away, and she'll appreciate being done sooner.

One more thing, I give them an example shot list beforehand, so as to try and limit the number of combinations. ;)

*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer (external link)

notapro
Goldmember
2,540 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2007 12:52 |  #7

I don't know the location or how feasible this would be, or if maybe people don't like the inconsistency of various locations, but what about setting up the bride, then do B&G&Family Member A, then Bride&Family Member A, then have Groom&Family Member A do a shot somewhere very closeby so that Bride can just stay in place and wait for Groom and Family Member B. That way each person can leave faster and you'll have less family hanging around. If it's a simple pan of the tripod, then maybe it would work? I'm completely ignorant about this... just offering an idea.

Amanda

Ontario Wedding Photographer  (external link)| My Blog (external link)

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 08, 2007 14:27 |  #8

my quicky way is have bride shots first, then add groom. then add parents, then everyone. then remove everyone except couple and rotate them a bit so i dont get same background. then add in bride or grooms family. then remove that family, rotate couple again (hate same bg!!) and shoot the other family. that way bride/groom dont have to move around alot and its faster shooting all shots same spot.

did i mention i hate same background?

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

852 views & 0 likes for this thread
Order of opperations
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.