Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 08 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 08:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how to move public

Rigel
31 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2007 08:24 |  #1

Hi guys,

Im back after my first wedding. I wonder if I can post fotos without clients permission. Anyway all went well except couple of shots where flash bounce knocked me out. Dark shadow of eyelashes and eyebrows on the face, appearing as if subject has black circles around the eyes. I really want to know why it happened, was I too close to the subject? Otherwise all went well the client liked all fotos which I gave them.

My main problem was the public, i mean friends n relatives of the family with their fones n hell lota cameras around. I wonder how to address this problem. Being physical obsticle is one thing but another problem was their flashes.

Shall i refuse to shot or what will be best course to follow.

thankyou!

EOS 30D - 50mm F1.4 - lens ? - 580EX II

sponsored links
Banbert
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 08, 2007 08:34 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Just think everyone of those people is a potential new client or source for providing you with new clients, if your nasty to them or obstruct them it will bite you in the wallet.

I think its best to learn to work around them, with them and control them when absolutely necessary (e.g. take the B&G away for a few minutes to grab some shots) as anything else is likely to undermine your marketing.

Thats just my newbie opinion though :)

Warwickshire Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | My wedding Photography Videos (external link)
Warwickshire Wedding Info (external link) | My Apple Magic Blog (external link)
30D x 3 + grips / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS /EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS / EF 100mm Macro / Sigma 30mm F1.4 / 580EX / 430EX / 33GB CF Cards / 2 PC'S + laptop / CS2 / HP 1220C / Canon CP-710 / Graphire4 Classic XL Manfroto Tripod & Joystick Head / Mac Book Pro

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 08, 2007 11:03 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I'm going to try something different at the next wedding to address all the annoying Uncle Bobs. Rather than trying to prohibit them from shooting during formals, I'm going to give them 10 minutes to do their shooting. Then it's my turn. I'll let you know if it works.

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

canoflan
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 08, 2007 11:06 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I would never post photos of people without permission and full disclosure as to use. Not only are the guest potential clients, but you don't want to take a chance on abusing the trust of your current ones. I get releases for all portfolio building work, etc..., in writing on the final invoice. When in doubt, get permission.

Pat

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 08, 2007 12:55 |  #5

I can only tell you what I do...

Before I shot the formals I turn to the crowd of people who I know are going to shoot and say:

I don't mind you shooting after me however you will potentially ruin their wedding pictures if you shoot with me. I will count to 3 and shoot after you see my flash then feel free to fire away.

That usually works... usually....:rolleyes:

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!
2,067 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 08, 2007 13:22 |  #6

I don't know the laws in Norway, but I believe here we would be able to post them since they did not expect privacy. They were at an event and should expect to be photographed, and unless you are humiliating them in some way, I doubt anyone would mind, and would actually feel a bit famous (as some people have put it to me) for having their picture on your website. ;)

*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer (external link)

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 08, 2007 14:23 |  #7

i always tell the guest "im first"!! and if the couple arent looking at me but them, i turn around and say "HEY!! IM FIRST!!" and laugh lol usually the get the hint.

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 08, 2007 14:25 |  #8

liza wrote in post #3690906 (external link)
I'm going to try something different at the next wedding to address all the annoying Uncle Bobs. Rather than trying to prohibit them from shooting during formals, I'm going to give them 10 minutes to do their shooting. Then it's my turn. I'll let you know if it works.

hmmm, that's an interesting approach. Yes, please fill us in on how it goes!

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Rigel
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 08, 2007 17:00 as a reply to  @ howzitboy's post |  #9

Since it was my first time I didnt stoped anyone from shooting but then I had to delete alot of photos cos bg didnt always looked into mine camera and some cos of shadows by different light.

Next time I go, I will tell BG inadvance that they hv to look into my camera when Im there. For pubic I will ask them to kindly take a break. Whatelse I can do!

EOS 30D - 50mm F1.4 - lens ? - 580EX II

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Aug 08, 2007 17:23 |  #10

we ask that people not shoot while doing the shots, and tell them that we'll give them a little time after the shot has been taken to take any shots (this is usually 20-30 seconds) then we interupt by calling people in for the next shot, has worked well so far :D

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

Dale ­ Siscoe
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 10, 2007 12:59 |  #11

In the USA you can post photos in forums as long as you are not making money on the images post wedding, but if you are making money from them aside from original purchase, you must have a release from every one in the images.
As a photographer who displays in my own Galleries I have the right to display any image I make unless it is "for sale".

My Gallery at http://www.dale.zenfol​io.com (external link)

Bob ­ Charnier
114 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 10, 2007 14:55 |  #12

I always tell people that they are more than welcome to shoot after I take my shot. I do tell them that I don't even want them to raise their camera until I say to because someone in the formals will always look at that camera instead of mine and then the shot will be ruined. I also remind them that the more pictures they take, the longer I will have to take and that the free food and alcohol is already being consumed while they are wasting our time! That generally gets the Bride's Father's attention.

Bob Charnier
Canon 5D & 20D, 16-35 f/2.8L, 17-85 f/4.0 IS,
24-70 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8USM Macro,
70-200 f/2.8L IS, 100-400 f/4.0L IS
Canon 1.4X Teleconverter, 580EX x 2

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 10, 2007 21:03 |  #13

You guys don't turn your flash around and hit the DOF button for the modeling light? Scares everyone away!

Seriously though, in this day and age, you really can't prevent people from taking pictures while you do it. You just have to get people's attention when it is your turn or make yourself a presence. If there is a MC, you can kindly ask him to announce that they can take pictures AFTER you are done. Still there will be some uncle bob taking pics, but it really minimizes it.

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 10, 2007 21:26 as a reply to  @ Rellik's post |  #14

I tell everyone that while I am firing my camera, it will temporarily disable theirs. They all look at me like "HUH". Some of them believe me and don't shoot until they are sure I'm done and the ones that know I'm talking hogwash get what I'm insinuating and generally wait for my okay to take their turn. Then of course once in awhile there is the one or two a$$es in the group that just ignore me.

Kathy

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

sponsored links

1,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
how to move public
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.