Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 07 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 10:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropping the Wedding Packages

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 09, 2007 00:47 |  #46

Kathy H wrote in post #3694764 (external link)
3. Now Mr. Upside down cute smiling face:) How long can it possibly take to put say 200 4x6 proofs in an album? 30 minutes? Put the album and proofs somewhere that you spend idle time and slip a few in at a time. How about the bathroom, we all spend time in there just sitting around.:):):)

I don't expect i'll EVER produce a slip-in album for a customer, as it gives the wrong impression of my work if that's all a potential customer sees. These accessory albums (external link) from Queensberry are very reasonably priced.

I think this is a great idea. I have digital proofs ready for customers a few days after their wedding, but by the time they choose photos and we go through the album design process that's usually 4-6 weeks, and Queensberry production is 4-6 weeks. That's up to 3 months before a customer gets their album. I'd love to be able to offer them a simple, good value album that'd be ready 2 weeks from their wedding, while they wait for the main album. But then again it might take away the motivation to get a nice, big feature album.

Plenty to think about.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2007 00:50 |  #47

Mike Fulton wrote in post #3694920 (external link)
I have not read this entire thread but I wanted to throw in what we do:

Started off with nice packages with lots of prints and other goodies
Then removed the specific prints and just went with print credit
Then removed everything but the proof album and custom designed wedding album

Finally where we are now, we do the following with our two basic "packages"

One
$3500.00
4 hours of time
2 photographers
Designed for individuals who want TriCoast but can not afford the entire package

Two
$5000.00
Unlimited time (We want to give an experience not just images)
2 photographers
Proof Album

We do have a travel package but that is designed per client basis suiting their needs for the location.

The rest the client purchase as they want

Albums
Negatives
Engagement Session
Bridal Session
etc.

Has worked out much better and heck I understand this now, with packages I could not remember everything how could my clients?

Mike, I'm confused on package one. Do they get any kind of proofs with this or just view and purchase what they want?

Kathy

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

Kathy ­ H
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2007 02:17 |  #48

tim wrote in post #3695000 (external link)
I don't expect i'll EVER produce a slip-in album for a customer, as it gives the wrong impression of my work if that's all a potential customer sees. These accessory albums (external link) from Queensberry are very reasonably priced.

I think this is a great idea. I have digital proofs ready for customers a few days after their wedding, but by the time they choose photos and we go through the album design process that's usually 4-6 weeks, and Queensberry production is 4-6 weeks. That's up to 3 months before a customer gets their album. I'd love to be able to offer them a simple, good value album that'd be ready 2 weeks from their wedding, while they wait for the main album. But then again it might take away the motivation to get a nice, big feature album.

Plenty to think about.

I see your point, and yes it is definately something to ponder. I agree that once they have something in their posession to look at, some of the drive to purchase the feature album may be gone...forever:(.

Kathy

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

MrsOpie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 09, 2007 09:45 |  #49

I have not read this entire thread but I wanted to throw in what we do:

Started off with nice packages with lots of prints and other goodies
Then removed the specific prints and just went with print credit
Then removed everything but the proof album and custom designed wedding album

Finally where we are now, we do the following with our two basic "packages"

One
$3500.00
4 hours of time
2 photographers
Designed for individuals who want TriCoast but can not afford the entire package

Two
$5000.00
2 photographers
Proof Album

We do have a travel package but that is designed per client basis suiting their needs for the location.

The rest the client purchase as they want

Albums
Negatives
Engagement Session
Bridal Session
etc.

Has worked out much better and heck I understand this now, with packages I could not remember everything how could my clients?

I like the idea of offering basic coverage and then the kitchen sink. Only 2 options makes choosing easier for the bride. Mike is also right about not remembering everything thats in the package. I often have to look up my own pricing packages to remember.

-OpieFoto
Salt Lake City Utah Wedding Photographer (external link)

Modern, Bold, Raw Emotion

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 09, 2007 10:20 |  #50

Two
$5000.00
2 photographers
Proof Album

Wow, $5000 for complete coverage? I would have thought you guys would be charging at least $9000 for your work for a full day!!

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 09, 2007 11:04 |  #51

Hey Tim,

Have you ever considered a flush mount album like Premira? I market them as a mix of triditional with a twist of coffee table favor...

The only draw back is the black seam down the middle of the page, but even that is not so bad.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Mike ­ Fulton
457 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 09, 2007 11:57 |  #52

Kathy H wrote in post #3695011 (external link)
Mike, I'm confused on package one. Do they get any kind of proofs with this or just view and purchase what they want?
Kathy

Nope that is just to show up and shoot, the rest is up to them to purchase.

MrsOpie wrote in post #3696655 (external link)
I like the idea of offering basic coverage and then the kitchen sink. Only 2 options makes choosing easier for the bride. Mike is also right about not remembering everything thats in the package. I often have to look up my own pricing packages to remember.

It has been much easier for both myself and the clients. So far it has worked out the best of anything we have done in the past. People ask what we chare, I KNOW right way, what is included and the client knows what the basic charge to get us on their wedding day is. Sure we might miss out on some extra sales but showing up, shooting and then spending a few hours processing for $3500 or $5000 I will do it all day long :) There is no behind the scenes extra work or design or anything else, you're done!

picturecrazy wrote in post #3696836 (external link)
Wow, $5000 for complete coverage? I would have thought you guys would be charging at least $9000 for your work for a full day!!

Thats just to show up and shoot, after they purchase the add-on's it is easy up to $9000 or more. Normally our clients purchase several albums and a proof album then of course hard prints, so it adds up very fast after the fee of showing up and shooting. It just depends on what your clients needs are and how you go about letting them know what you have to offer (custom painted prints are huge for us right now).

Both packages are just to show up and shoot, thats it, the rest is up to the client to purchase.

Our Weddings (external link) -- Our Seniors (external link) -- Our Blog (external link) -- Our Wireless Flash and Video Light Workshop (external link)
Kodak's World Wide Photographers to Watch

Kathy ­ H
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2007 12:04 as a reply to  @ Mike Fulton's post |  #53

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a good plan to me!

Kathy

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!
2,067 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 09, 2007 13:06 |  #54

Mike Fulton wrote in post #3697280 (external link)
Nope that is just to show up and shoot, the rest is up to them to purchase.

The reason why I don't do that is because, in my personal life, I hate it when I get a price, then get told that in order to get what I want, I have to pay a lot more. I'd rather just see the bigger price up front, and go, 'wow, look at all this stuff I get for that one price!' Because it feels like I'm spending less. Just my .02 cents as a consumer. :)

*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 09, 2007 14:18 |  #55

jessiper wrote in post #3697651 (external link)
The reason why I don't do that is because, in my personal life, I hate it when I get a price, then get told that in order to get what I want, I have to pay a lot more. I'd rather just see the bigger price up front, and go, 'wow, look at all this stuff I get for that one price!' Because it feels like I'm spending less. Just my .02 cents as a consumer. :)

yeah, that's why people do it both ways, and many people are successful doing one way or the other.

I suppose mine is a combination of the two. I have a basic shooting package. It's how much I charge just to show up and process photos. (though CD is included, and a small print credit) But other stuff like albums, prints, engagement shoots etc... are all extras that can be added to.

Then I offer one with everything including album. There's pretty much nothing else to add to it.

So I supppose it's kind of a combination of the two systems.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

jessiper
EEK! I don't want a title anymore!
2,067 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 09, 2007 14:31 |  #56

picturecrazy wrote in post #3698063 (external link)
yeah, that's why people do it both ways, and many people are successful doing one way or the other.

I suppose mine is a combination of the two. I have a basic shooting package. It's how much I charge just to show up and process photos. (though CD is included, and a small print credit) But other stuff like albums, prints, engagement shoots etc... are all extras that can be added to.

Then I offer one with everything including album. There's pretty much nothing else to add to it.

So I supppose it's kind of a combination of the two systems.

That's a good idea, Lloyd, to bring in the couples from both ends of the budget spectrum. :)

*Gear: 5D Mark II, 2 5D's, 30D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 24mmL 1.4, 45mm TS-E, 16-35mmL 2.8 II, 70-200L 2.8 IS, 100mm 2.8 macro, 15mm 2.8 fisheye, 580EXII, 580EX, 430EX, AB 800, AB Ring flash, lots of PW's, stands, umbrellas, etc.
Oregon wedding photographer (external link)

liza
Cream of the Crop
11,386 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 09, 2007 14:35 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

I do the same. I have a basic 5 hour package to which they can add what they wish. And I offer not only coffee table books but also fine art albums. Everybody, regardless of socio-economic status starts with the same coverage package. What they decide to add is up to them (and their pocketbook).

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)

Mike ­ Fulton
457 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 09, 2007 14:42 |  #58

jessiper wrote in post #3697651 (external link)

I understand this, but there is no secret charges I have very clear price guides which everything priced, we can develop a package right there for the client in about 5 minutes, but this way they get whatever they want so their money goes to directly what interest them.

Also most of my clients do not care about budget they just get what they want so that helps also.

Again as stated above there are lots of different ways, over the years I have tired them all, this way works by far the best for me and my clients.

Our Weddings (external link) -- Our Seniors (external link) -- Our Blog (external link) -- Our Wireless Flash and Video Light Workshop (external link)
Kodak's World Wide Photographers to Watch

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 09, 2007 17:27 |  #59

Atl-Fotos wrote in post #3697031 (external link)
Hey Tim,

Have you ever considered a flush mount album like Premira? I market them as a mix of triditional with a twist of coffee table favor...

The only draw back is the black seam down the middle of the page, but even that is not so bad.

Queensberry do a similar product, and since they're based in New Zealand they're much easier for me to deal with.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

4,495 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropping the Wedding Packages
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.