Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Aug 2007 (Sunday) 18:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW vs JPEG L - I still like JPEG?

Domino
217 posts
Joined Aug 2002

Aug 12, 2007 18:58 |  #1

I am finding I have to post process many of my good pics for that great shot. I can't remember ever having to do this with my G2. Is it just because maybe I've gone from a "quantity" vs "quality"... where with the G2 I would take a ton of shots and keep most of them because they would all turn out "decent".... vs with the XTi I only hang onto the ones that are "great" and trash the others?

I guess I just like the idea of doing as little PP as possible.

Canon Rebel XTi, 17-85 IS, 70-300 IS, 50 f/1.8, 28-105

sponsored links
Domino
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Aug 2002

Aug 12, 2007 19:00 |  #2

How many of you still shoot JPEG without RAW? Seems like a lot out here shoot RAW... I guess I like the idea of fitting more on my card and doing less PP?

You can always PP JPEG too so what am I really missing out on by not doing RAW?

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 12, 2007 19:02 as a reply to  @ Domino's post |  #3

With RAW you have a lot more control of the image out of the camera than with JPG. That's why many shoot mainly in RAW. The RAW image is uncompressed, basically untouched, out of the camera. I normally shoot RAW, and JPG only occassionally myself.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

DDan
Goldmember
1,725 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 12, 2007 19:03 |  #4

If you don't want to PP, you have to set the correct parameters for the jpg conversion process. Turn up contrast, saturation, and sharpness until you get results that you like. I feel that this is a compromise and shoot raw so that I can apply conversion settings on a per picture basis.

My Gear
DansRacePhotos.com (external link)

Dangerous Dan

DDan
Goldmember
1,725 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 12, 2007 19:06 as a reply to  @ nhbeast's post |  #5

Check my answer to your other very similar thread. I choose to PP so that I can apply conversion settings on a per shot basis.

My Gear
DansRacePhotos.com (external link)

Dangerous Dan

Domino
THREAD ­ STARTER
217 posts
Joined Aug 2002

Aug 12, 2007 23:19 |  #6

What extra control do I get with the image that I couldn't get with RAW?

And it looks like someone combined these threads?

sponsored links

1,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.