Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 13 Aug 2007 (Monday) 10:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When do you call it a day and leave?

ToddziLLa
209 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 13, 2007 10:11 |  #1

I did a search for this and came up with nothing, so I apologize if this has been covered already.

My question: when do you feel comfortable enough to pack up your gear and leave the reception?

On one hand, at the very end of the reception where it is usually just the party and a few family members anyway, there is not much more to capture. On the other hand, should the photographer be there until the very end in case something happens so they can capture it? Once the garter/bouquet throw and all the important dances are done, how much longer do you stay?

Todd - Photography by L (external link) - My flickr (external link)
Gear: 40D, 10D | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.8 II | 580EX II | BG-ED3 Grip | 20" iMac Core 2 Duo | Lightroom 2

sponsored links
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 13, 2007 10:13 |  #2

I prefer to leve after the first dance (assuming the bouquet and garter have been dealt with). After that everyone is quite sauced and the point and shoots come out.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Toogy
"I like pictures of myself!"
6,247 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 13, 2007 10:15 |  #3

When my watch tells me too! I have time limits on my services

Toogood Studios (external link)
Good Light and Shoot to the Right....

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 13, 2007 10:31 |  #4

I usually leave between 11 and midnight.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

GertS
353 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 13, 2007 11:05 |  #5

As I don't shoot many weddings and they are on Saturdays, I stay till end. There are always some really great shots possible.

Attached an image, I would call it the last dance, was 2:30 am, they had switched lights of and all light was from candles the guests held for the couple. Was quite dark. 5D, 50 / 1.4 , f1.8, 1/30 sec handheld

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- left forum in protest -

Gujustud
636 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 13, 2007 11:14 |  #6

Most of the weddings I've done thus far, I've know the B&G or someone at the wedding, so I've usually stayed right till the end. Only one wedding where I assisted a friend did I leave once the reception started as it was extremely small, and he stayed for the cake cutting/first dance.

Visual Artist + World Nomad
AmishSolanki.com (external link) | ASphoto.ca (external link) | Blog (external link) | Travelblog (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Instagram (external link)

danpass
Goldmember
2,134 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 13, 2007 11:16 |  #7

When the Bride and Groom leave.

Dan
Gallery (external link) | Gear/Feedback

LeesaB
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 13, 2007 11:36 as a reply to  @ danpass's post |  #8

We used to stay till the B&G leave, but by them, most are so drunk they can't even walk right, and to get the leaving shot, is almost silly.

now we tell them up front, we stay for a while, get dancing shots, all the important things, and we fake a leaving...for the safety of the Bride and groom we tell them...and most are very happy with that...

So, we leave around 9 or 10.

LeesaB
www.LisaNikole.com (external link)
ME (external link)

Jon ­ Rouston
158 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 13, 2007 11:44 as a reply to  @ LeesaB's post |  #9

My packages are done by the hour e.g. 4 hours photography, 8 hours, 12 hours.

B&G decide when they want me to arrive and leave. I'd make it clear in your meeting beforehand when you are going to arrive and leave, otherwise you could be in for tricky client relationships

Wedding Photographer based in Nottingham, UK (external link)
A few black boxes | some long tubes with glass in them | small boxes that make bright lights

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 13, 2007 11:47 |  #10

Generally when the B&G leave....

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

italianfemmy
Goldmember
2,252 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 13, 2007 11:50 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Jon Rouston wrote in post #3719516 (external link)
My packages are done by the hour e.g. 4 hours photography, 8 hours, 12 hours.

B&G decide when they want me to arrive and leave. I'd make it clear in your meeting beforehand when you are going to arrive and leave, otherwise you could be in for tricky client relationships

And as long as you do this with time limits which is the way I think I want to go - then the bride knows she needs to get the important things scheduled in by a specific time.

The last wedding I attended.. they didn't toss the garter or boquet until 5 hours into the reception! Oy! But, the photographer was there until the end. I'd make it a point to let them know if they purchased say a 4 hour package that they should set those important events up early into the reception.

Gear List - Rebel xTi; Kit Lens 18-55mm; Canon 75-300 mm f/5.6; 2 batteries; 8 GB of CF cards; Canon 430 EX flash, diffuser, lens hoods, couple Uv filters
17-55mm IS f/2.8 AND Canon 70-200L IS f/2.8

Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2007 11:51 as a reply to  @ Jon Rouston's post |  #12

I have time limits too, usually 5 hours. My clients know this when they book me, so no missing anything they want. Usually once the B&G make their entrance to the reception they do their special dances, then cake cutting, then bouquet & garter toss after that, I'm outta there!:)

Kathy

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

Kathy ­ H
" it's a very handsome sheep! "
7,622 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 13, 2007 11:57 |  #13

italianfemmy wrote in post #3719555 (external link)
And as long as you do this with time limits which is the way I think I want to go - then the bride knows she needs to get the important things scheduled in by a specific time.

The last wedding I attended.. they didn't toss the garter or boquet until 5 hours into the reception! Oy! But, the photographer was there until the end. I'd make it a point to let them know if they purchased say a 4 hour package that they should set those important events up early into the reception.

This is exactly why mine are set hours. In the past, I've been stuck there for needless hours waiting for the toss.

I always make sure that the DJ is on the same schedule as far as times that key features are to take place because they can be a big help in keeping things moving. They can also drag things on to suit them if you don't communicate with them.

Kathy

Kathy H
BLOG (external link)

Holdyn ­ wolf
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 13, 2007 12:09 as a reply to  @ Kathy H's post |  #14

I don't set a time limit on my all day packages but I usually explain to the bride and groom that I leave about 30-45 minutes after bouqet and garter (given these are the last things that you really need photos of) I check in with them before leaving to make sure I haven't missed anything.

I always find both bride and groom, congratulate them, give hugs and handshakes and remind them that the proofs will be online in about 2 weeks.

So far no one has had issues with this.

Hmm...just think of something interesting and pretend I typed it for you to read. :)

Rick ­ Rosen
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 13, 2007 16:10 |  #15

My service includes unlimited coverage so I leave when the couple leaves or if that is earlier I'll stay a bit longer then leave. Always graciously say "goodnight" to the parents after asking them if they want me to stick around longer.

Rick

Best regards,
Rick Rosen
Newport Beach, CA

sponsored links

2,033 views & 0 likes for this thread
When do you call it a day and leave?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.