Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Aug 2007 (Tuesday) 12:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i need some second-hand buying advice. pleaseeee..

ryandavid__
329 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 14, 2007 12:59 |  #1

in 2 weeks time i'm buying my first d-slr set-up, this however, doesn't mean i'm new to digital, just -being a student- none of the camera's i've been using are my own.

but now. i'm in a position to get myself kitted up.

this is how much i have: £1100 - or $2200 to you lot over the pond.

and this is what i want: canon 30D & grip, 17-55 IS 2.8, and a higher end flash-gun ,preferably a 550ex.

i'm not after advice about the stuff.
and i'm clear that it's guna need to be second hand.
but. is it possible?
US prices are cheaper, but it's a bit dodgy buying over the net, maybe i could convince the seller to put it onto ebay, as buy it now for me, that way i'm guarenteed security of my money/products, right?

i really don't want to have to wait any longer.

so, what do you think.
any comments are really really appreciated.
thanks guys!

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 14, 2007 13:02 |  #2

I just saw someone say they bought a 30D from B&H for $999 for the body. You may be able to do it.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

A468BU
38 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 14, 2007 13:10 |  #3

30D at amazon from adorma for $960

ryandavid__
THREAD ­ STARTER
329 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 14, 2007 13:12 |  #4

SuzyView wrote in post #3726615 (external link)
I just saw someone say they bought a 30D from B&H for $999 for the body. You may be able to do it.

thanks for the response!
i checked it out, and you're right, they have the body for $999.99.
and i thought the shipping would be stupidly high. but it's $56.00 for 3-5 day to the UK.
and that's a new-price. i can't believe it - £525 !

thanks a lot.

anyone else got any input, like i said, it's really appreciated!

philb10
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 14, 2007 16:22 as a reply to  @ ryandavid__'s post |  #5

If you import from the US you may get caught by customs.

Have you checked www.camerapricebuster.​co.uk (external link) for UK prices?
The 30D is 549 at Bristol Cameras.

Try www.onestop-digital.com (external link) for lenses or Kerso (search for Ian on this site).

Phil B.

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Aug 14, 2007 16:24 |  #6

Bear in mind that the duty, VAT and courier fees usually add up to ~25% of the price you've payed to B&H (inc P&P) when you buy lenses. Camera bodies are slightly less as they only attract VAT (not duty). Also, most credit card companies (and Paypal) give you an exchange rate ~3% worse than the nominal pounds to dollars rate. It can still be good value, but be prepared for extra costs...

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

Big ­ WIll
"Slight breach of etiquette"
2,363 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 14, 2007 16:48 |  #7

If i was you and with the knowledge i now have i would search for a man called Kerso (Ian) and ask him to give you a price for everything you want, you will have to ask for a 580ex instead of a 550ex probably though.

See the price he can give you.

If not then search eBay for LOCAL listings that you can see the item and use it before you purchase! i would never buy items as big as cameras, lenses, flashes without seeing the device first!

Computers blur the boundaries... We are being released from the suddenness of photography, the suddenness of the shutterhttp://www.photography​-on-the.net …p?p=1606920&pos​tcount=132

ryandavid__
THREAD ­ STARTER
329 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 14, 2007 17:20 |  #8

philb10 wrote in post #3727808 (external link)
If you import from the US you may get caught by customs.

Have you checked www.camerapricebuster.​co.uk (external link) for UK prices?
The 30D is 549 at Bristol Cameras.

Try www.onestop-digital.com (external link) for lenses or Kerso (search for Ian on this site).

Phil B.

yes, i know about price buster, and kerso.
one stop digital has the 17-55 IS at £529, best price i've seen so far!
so thanks for that !

If i was you and with the knowledge i now have i would search for a man called Kerso (Ian) and ask him to give you a price for everything you want, you will have to ask for a 580ex instead of a 550ex probably though.

See the price he can give you.

this is probably the wisest decision, i'll see what price i can get from him.
thanks for the advice!

Bear in mind that the duty, VAT and courier fees usually add up to ~25% of the price you've payed to B&H (inc P&P) when you buy lenses. Camera bodies are slightly less as they only attract VAT (not duty). Also, most credit card companies (and Paypal) give you an exchange rate ~3% worse than the nominal pounds to dollars rate. It can still be good value, but be prepared for extra costs...

i've realised this now, but thanks!
import tax is apparently the one to throw you.
thanks for mentioning it.

everyone's being really helpful i appreciate it.

it's starting to seem that if i want to get all that equipment for that price, i either need a miracle, or i'm guna have to go down to the 20D.

someone should just offer me all that for that price.
comeee on.
i'll look after it :D

anymore comment anyone?

ryan.

Big ­ WIll
"Slight breach of etiquette"
2,363 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 14, 2007 19:09 |  #9

well if you have any spare cash check out the POTN strap, review in the equipment section!

Computers blur the boundaries... We are being released from the suddenness of photography, the suddenness of the shutterhttp://www.photography​-on-the.net …p?p=1606920&pos​tcount=132

sponsored links

565 views & 0 likes for this thread
i need some second-hand buying advice. pleaseeee..
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.