Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 15 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 12:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Album Layouts and Choices

Transcendence
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 15, 2007 12:35 |  #1

How is everyone handling their wedding album layouts with customers? What I mean is are you allowing the customer to chosse what photos will be in the album and where they will be located? And as far as composites go. Are you allowing them to choose which composite is on what page and how the images are separated in the composite? This is what I have been doing and putting together a 40 page album with a separate composite on each page and 2-7 images on each composite is a nightmare. I spend more time with them trying to make decisions than I actually do shooting the wedding it seems. There has got to be an easier way to do this than how I am doing it now.

sponsored links
Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 15, 2007 12:48 |  #2

There certainly is!

Seriously, some 'togs don't allow the B&G to choose anything, some allow them to choose all the pics (and many variables inbetween). Personaly we allow them to choose about half the pic's, which allows us to design an album that tells the story and is well designed, without missing out their favourites. We allow them to 'soft proof' before we order.

You're making life difficult for yourself, the more people involved in a decision - the worse things get.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Transcendence
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 15, 2007 12:52 |  #3

I knew I was. I am just trying to remove any reason for them to complain about how the album is put together. I guess having them proof it before hand would resolve that though. But then again I dont want to be redesigning an album 3 or 4 times either.

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 15, 2007 12:56 |  #4

The way we do it, we get about 1 change per album. We're either good or lucky.;)

Jeff Ascough once mentioned in a seminar that he's had 1 change to make ever - and he designs his albums with no input from the customer at all.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

Transcendence
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 15, 2007 13:17 |  #5

Well, we are changing the way we offer our albums totally. I currently offer the three albums from Candid 2000 as well as the huge line of MPO albums and TAP albums from a local dist. I think we are just giving them to many choices and to much control. I am all about customer satisfaction but I think I go to far sometimes and that is effecting business.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 15, 2007 18:44 |  #6

The customer gets what the customer wants. I suggest the tell me their favorite 20 images, the album style (matted/digital), and the size, I do the rest. I give people an unlimited number of changes at the moment, which I might stop doing. The most changes i've had is 8, the fewest is 1, usually 3-4. Some people tell me exactly what they want, some give me free reign.

Going forward, as I get better at it and have more sample albums, people will get a little less choice but will get a better album.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sierra_nova
354 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 15, 2007 23:55 |  #7

I'm quite similar to Tim. I have the couple choose their 20 favs, design the album around it, have them proof it, and away we go. Very few changes.

Cheers,
Naomi

Baadil
855 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 16, 2007 09:28 |  #8

Not to change the topic, but how do you choose your layout? Software and/or just what you see good.

Canon EOS 400D Xti (Poor man's 1D,) Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6, Canon 18-55mm Kit; Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 16, 2007 17:45 |  #9

Baadil wrote in post #3737546 (external link)
Not to change the topic, but how do you choose your layout? Software and/or just what you see good.

When I first started I got a couple of dozen complete albums from the net and stuck them on my PC for inspiration. I still look at them occasionally. Most of my albums are matted, I go for simple layouts, with symmetry. I have templates from Queensberry and PhotoJunction which I use and modify.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Album Layouts and Choices
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.