Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Aug 2007 (Thursday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need and value everyones advise

dahonu
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2007 12:10 |  #1

good morning,
sorry to bother you all but I value all of your opinions so
I was wondering if you could maybe help me out with something.
I just bought the 5D and im thinking about buying the 28-300L IS usm lens.
It is a suprise for my wife, who is into nature wildlife photography but also everyday pics like family gatherings party's and camping trips.
basically Is this a good versitile lens?? I believe this to be great lens but what is your opinion? would you buy two lenses instead? and which ones?
Also we are heading to NewZealand for 2 months and would like to know if this 28-300 lens is a smart lens to buy. i tend to think so because i dont want to switch from you lens to another but what would you do?

I appreciate any advice or info you might have.
thank you for your time, and hope to hear from you all soon
rhak

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 16, 2007 12:45 |  #2

It's a rather large lens.
Might be OK for wildlife, but it might be too big to fill in as an everyday lens.

If you can afford it, I would get the 100-400L for wildlife, and something in the normal range for everyday shooting...like the 24-105L.

That would be a pretty cool combo.

dahonu wrote in post #3738617 (external link)
good morning,
sorry to bother you all but I value all of your opinions so
I was wondering if you could maybe help me out with something.
I just bought the 5D and im thinking about buying the 28-300L IS usm lens.
It is a suprise for my wife, who is into nature wildlife photography but also everyday pics like family gatherings party's and camping trips.
basically Is this a good versitile lens?? I believe this to be great lens but what is your opinion? would you buy two lenses instead? and which ones?
Also we are heading to NewZealand for 2 months and would like to know if this 28-300 lens is a smart lens to buy. i tend to think so because i dont want to switch from you lens to another but what would you do?

I appreciate any advice or info you might have.
thank you for your time, and hope to hear from you all soon
rhak

JCIG
35 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2007 12:48 as a reply to  @ post 3738617 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

FYI - if you are traveling and expect to be taking pictures outside mainly, then the 24-105 is your best bet.

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,942 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 16, 2007 13:03 as a reply to  @ post 3738617 |  #4

For wildlife photography, the 100-400 F/4.5-F/5.6 L IS is considered a good lens. 300 is a little short, especially on a FF camera like the 5D. I'll come back to that just now.

The 28-300 is a very heavy ultra-zoom, with, even being an L, all the compromises of an ultrazoom.

For a 5D, I would rather get both the 24-105 F/4 L IS, which is a great standard zoom fro the 5D, and the above mentioned 100-400. This would give her a range from 24-400 mm with 2 lenses, at better image quality than the 28-300, and also at a more handholdable weight.

However, if your wife is really into wildlife and nature photography, you could probably do her a bigger favour with a 30D, or the upcoming 40D. These or not FF cameras, but APS-C bodies. The advantage of these is that they provide her with the 1.6X crop factor, something which tends to be highly appreciated amongstwildlife and nature photographers, due to the additional reach you get with tele lenses or tele zooms. Efectively, the 100-400 would become a 160-640, in FF equivalent terms.

You could still get her the same lenses, but add the EF-S 10-22 ultrawide, to give her a complete range of focal lengths from 10-400 mm.

There are other options, too, diferent lenses and th elike, but I would assume other people will chip in, too.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

m-thew
73 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 16, 2007 13:17 as a reply to  @ post 3738633 |  #5

While I spend most of my surf time here on POTN. When considering new lenses I go here. http://www.fredmiranda​.com/reviews/ (external link)
I think the 28-300LIS would be perfect for a walkaround lens, though it might scream "tourist with an expensive camera" and it will be heavy. (all that white paint is heavy!) ;-)a
I realize you said you don't really want to switch lenses but what about a 70-300DO IS? It weighs about 1 1/2 lbs vs almost 4 with the 28-300. Then get her a good wide zoom like the 24-70? Together they will make about the same dent in your wallet and take up about the same room in a camera bag. Is lens rental an option to let her play for a while if the 5D came with a kit lens?
Matt

God 1st, family 2nd, then the rest
1DsIII, 70-200 4L, 50 1.8

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 16, 2007 13:21 as a reply to  @ post 3738633 |  #6

Absollutely not. No way. No. Niente. Nein. Not Ever.

If you aim to please, just print out this picture and tell her to pick a lens she wants:
http://farm1.static.fl​ickr.com/40/88850805_5​0623cf20b.jpg (external link)

Lenses are a personal choice and the one you want to buy is slow, big and inconvenient... also too short for wildlife.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 16, 2007 13:24 as a reply to  @ post 3738633 |  #7

What's she shooting wild life with now?

asylumxl
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 16, 2007 13:30 |  #8

Pete-eos wrote in post #3738903 (external link)
What's she shooting wild life with now?

hopefully not nikon gear :p.

it's a good lens, but 2 lenses will always be better imo. depends on the budget really.

I M A G E I N A T I O N
..........WEBSITE (external link)
Pixel peeping is like count the sides of a circle, pointless.

dahonu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2007 13:35 as a reply to  @ Pete-eos's post |  #9

she is using a canon point and shoot. her gear got ripped off a month ago, but it was the old school slr A1 film camera.
thought it was time to upgrade. but someone mention getting the 30D over the 5D? did i make a bad decision??

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 16, 2007 13:36 |  #10

dahonu wrote in post #3738972 (external link)
she is using a canon point and shoot. her gear got ripped off a month ago, but it was the old school slr A1 film camera.
thought it was time to upgrade. but someone mention getting the 30D over the 5D? did i make a bad decision??

Just ask her. We don't know for sure.

What lens did she use with the A-1?

asylumxl
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 16, 2007 13:39 |  #11

30D would give her more "reach" due to the crop factor (http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Crop_factor (external link)) than the 5D and would give you a few more bucks to play with.

I M A G E I N A T I O N
..........WEBSITE (external link)
Pixel peeping is like count the sides of a circle, pointless.

dahonu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 16, 2007 13:43 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #12

I suppose i could ask her... but i think im not sure but that would ruin what is other wise known as "the supprise part of the suprise" lol :)
i believe she had a canon 70-300mm f/4 , a 50mm, a macro, and two other lens.
but to be honest i cant really seeing going wrong with a 5D over a 30D i mean its a gift.
Would you complain. ( i hope not) lol

Richard_Miami
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 16, 2007 13:48 as a reply to  @ post 3738633 |  #13

The 5D is a magnificent camera. I would be blown away completely if someone had bought it for me as a gift. The 30D is also very nice, it is a good solid body. I am sure most would agree that side by side the 5D is the overall better camera in many ways - which is why it generally sells for about twice as much as the 30D.

If she had those lenses, she knows how to shoot a Canon SLR and will appreciate the 5D for what it is.

As for the lens portion - on wildlife - I would humbly suggest the Canon ef 100-400 L IS. It is top quality, and has image stabilization and nice broad range of focal lengths to work with. I love that combo myself. It is a bit bulky tho and takes some getting used to hand holding it - but with the IS it is VERY hand-holdable. Just my humble opinions.

Sample of 5D with 100-400mm

IMAGE: http://www.rsphotogallery.com/photos/182265571-L-1.jpg

I am the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

Gear

RSPhotoGallery.com (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 16, 2007 13:52 as a reply to  @ post 3738633 |  #14

I've had some really "bad" experiences with "surprise presents" which I couldn't return and couldn't sell.

The thing with 30d is that the price difference with the 5D is going to allow for a nice telephoto - IE 400/5.6 or 300/4 which would give a longer effective reach than 5D with NO GLASS would.

Or she might prefer a rebel with a much more expensive telephoto - ie 400/4 or 120-300 sigma f/2.8...

If you do surprise her, make sure to keep the receipt and "no bad feelings if you want another lens honey"

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,942 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 16, 2007 14:08 |  #15

Yes, that was me, in the other thread you started:

For wildlife photography, the 100-400 F/4.5-F/5.6 L IS is considered a good lens. 300 is a little short, especially on a FF camera like the 5D. I'll come back to that just now.
The 28-300 is a very heavy ultra-zoom, with, even being an L, all the compromises of an ultrazoom.
For a 5D, I would rather get both the 24-105 F/4 L IS, which is a great standard zoom fro the 5D, and the above mentioned 100-400. This would give her a range from 24-400 mm with 2 lenses, at better image quality than the 28-300, and also at a more handholdable weight.
However, if your wife is really into wildlife and nature photography, you could probably do her a bigger favour with a 30D, or the upcoming 40D. These or not FF cameras, but APS-C bodies. The advantage of these is that they provide her with the 1.6X crop factor, something which tends to be highly appreciated amongstwildlife and nature photographers, due to the additional reach you get with tele lenses or tele zooms. Efectively, the 100-400 would become a 160-640, in FF equivalent terms.
You could still get her the same lenses, but add the EF-S 10-22 ultrawide, to give her a complete range of focal lengths from 10-400 mm.
There are other options, too, different lenses and the like, but I would assume other people will chip in, too.
Kind regards, Wim

The thing is, especially since you stated that she had an A-1, the 5D might be a bit much, weight wise, I honestly don't know. The IQ of the 5D is better, in principle, but you'd have less reach.

dahonu wrote in post #3739028 (external link)
I suppose i could ask her... but i think im not sure but that would ruin what is other wise known as "the supprise part of the suprise" lol :)
i believe she had a canon 70-300mm f/4 , a 50mm, a macro, and two other lens.
but to be honest i cant really seeing going wrong with a 5D over a 30D i mean its a gift.
Would you complain. ( i hope not) lol

I think the 5D would be a great gift, no doubts about that!

Why not get her a complete replacement of what she had, but then better?
Something along the lines of:
24-105 F/4 L IS or 24-70 F/2.8 L
maybe a 70-200 F/4 L IS
100-400 F/4.5-F/5.6 L IS or 70-300 F/4-F/5.6 IS, but then also skip the 70-200
100 F/2.8 macro
50 F/1.4 or 85 F/1.8 (fast lens, the latter for portrait work)
maybe a Kenko 1.4X DG converter, for those occasions where you'd need it

For the price of the 28-300 you should be able to get
24-105 or 24-70
70-300
100 macro
50 F/1.4 or 85 F/1.8

This would more or less give her what she had before, likely at better quality.

If you'd add the 100-400 instead of the 70-300, the set would be more like:
24-105
100-400
100 macro or 50 F/1.4 or 85 F/1.8

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

sponsored links

2,936 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need and value everyones advise
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.