Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Aug 2007 (Sunday) 08:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Business Card Thoughts?

sambonebs
35 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 19, 2007 08:03 |  #1

Right guys,

I've just started putting some ideas together, and I thought a good place to start would be a business card. I'll be producing a design/photography portfolio PDF this week I hope.

After 46 views and no comments, either it's totally crap or people don't want to go to an external site. Here's to hoping it's the second reason!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

So, thoughts please!

400D/50mm 1.4 USM /28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM/Speedlite 430EX/Manfrotto 785SHB/Red-Grey Crumpler 'Loyal Chap'

sponsored links
tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 20, 2007 18:28 |  #2

I don't know why there are no comments, but I like it. I'm not quite sure if the graphic on the front is supposed to signify something, or if it's just a design? And I'd definitely print it out actual size and make sure you can read the text on the back.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

Robf
385 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 20, 2007 18:41 |  #3

might be trying to teach grandma, but here goes...

personally i'd steer away from type that close to the edge for a couple of reasons...

a) because it will emphasis any shift on the printing & crop that might make some text look closer to the edge than others

b) because if people keep your card in their wallet you they might lose the details if the edges wear

if your printing out of 4 colour i'd be tempted to make the type a tad bigger, because the dot might eat the edges...however if using a spot 5th it should be clean, but even so, sometimes obvious comes across better.

i'm also not getting the x or c thing...

and i'd check those colours in 4 colour

i might be tempted to play with the type a little more, just to see if it can be lined up differently...to me the close leading looks a little clashy.

i like the simple/abstract approach idea, thats my taste :)

JaertX
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 20, 2007 18:54 |  #4

I like them. Nice and simple.

Rob makes some great points though. Rob, you should be the official graphics design critic for POTN!

Jason - I use Canon and stuff

sambonebs
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 21, 2007 03:59 as a reply to  @ JaertX's post |  #5

Thanks for the advice Rob, I've got an idea I'm using on the front of my portfolio that will bring the text a lot closer to the centre so I may try that.

Tracknut, as for the graphic on the front - it's an intermeshed D and C - for Digital Creative. That's the term I'm using for myself - I'll get an amended version up tonight.

As for the colour points - I've made sure all the colours are CMYK so reproduction should be good with a 4 colour process.

400D/50mm 1.4 USM /28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM/Speedlite 430EX/Manfrotto 785SHB/Red-Grey Crumpler 'Loyal Chap'

Atl-Fotos
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 22, 2007 09:09 |  #6

Don't kill the messenger so here are my thoughts:

If I were handed your card I would not understand the front. To me it looks like out of focus trees. I am sure there is a story behind the image but personally I do not get it. The type on the back is going to be much to small for anyone to easily read. It will look fine on your screen but when they arrive you will see what I mean. Your logo on the front and the bottom right corner looks great.

Ron
It's all fun & games until the shutter stops working....
My Website (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Aug 22, 2007 11:40 |  #7

give the text room to breathe and you need to add more of the D so that its obvious..

you'll need a 3-5mm safe area if this is going offset lytho

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

sambonebs
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 24, 2007 13:15 as a reply to  @ Bobster's post |  #8

Right guys,

Here's another version I've come up with:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Same again if you don't mind!

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 24, 2007 17:15 |  #9

With Biz card, the rule is keep it simple. The second one is much better.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 24, 2007 17:43 |  #10

ok im confused, is your business name sam nesbit? or digital creative?

i prefer the second design although the front still doesnt tell me what you do

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Aug 24, 2007 17:49 |  #11

front says what it does on the tin!

photography, graphic design, creative audio and digital creative

much better design than the first, but the typography still needs a little tweeking - and theres that huge empty space on the lower right, layout on the front needs a little tweeking to get a good use of space happening..
i would only concentrate on 1 profession at a time with a card

i have a card for my graphic design business and one for my photography..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

dwarfmcdougal
253 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 24, 2007 20:34 as a reply to  @ Bobster's post |  #12

Loved both designs. Great stuff man. Especially "digital creative." Love that title.

30D, 5D | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM /Canon 24-105 f/4L IS / Canon 17-40 f/4L USM / Canon 50 f/1.8

jenie_penny
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 29, 2007 20:52 |  #13

personally I like a photograph/design with color on the front. I agree with the positioning of the text. With the full bleed the recommended spacing is at least 0.125" from the sides, however if you go 0.15" you would be safer if there is a shift in the printing.

If you are looking for a place to print the cheapest quality printing I have ever found is gotprint.com for full color heavy stock glossy front/back business cards.

When reviewing the designs again I prefer the back of the second card with a design similar to the front of the first card.

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 30, 2007 05:29 |  #14

Thumbs down for the first - thumbs up for the second... clean and simple! If people want to find out more about your work they'll check out your website rather than being bowled over by trying to achieve too much with a business card.

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

sponsored links

1,613 views & 0 likes for this thread
Business Card Thoughts?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.